Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New here!

Walleyeania

I've been looking for another -):heh: Hobie for a while. A friend who I fish with, on occasion, is into metal detecting, so why not try. He has 4 or 5 detectors and loaned one to me and off to the beach. We spent about 3 hours total on the beach and I found it to be enjoyable. Sort of like fishing, it keeps your interest up if you find a penny or catch a small fish. Always hoping for the gold ring or that trophy walleye. I will be looking at a variety of locator's to find "the one" that is right for me. I cannot afford to buy several, I'm retired, on a fixed budget. I will be reading reviews and watching the for sale ads.
Willie

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the new hobby Willie, a few Kellyco guys here love fishing as well. The 2 hobbies really do go hand in hand. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Everyone around here is fantastic and is always willing to help.

Which detectors does your buddy use and which one did he lend you?

-Brad

welcome aboard! I am new here myself and to the hobby. Been hunting since august. Have found a good deal of clad coins AND several VERY cool relics. Just found my first sterling silver jewelery this weekend,

Curious to see which detector you choose. I currently use a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I am happy with it as an inexpensive but very effective starter detector. I also bought a Garrett pro pointer and I think that is really, really helpful. It cuits down the size of my holoes and the length of time form retrieval.

Happy hunting

Nice, good to see some great success with a beginner detector. Not everything is found with the big spenders. I will agree, those pinpointers are a huge time and frustration saver. Almost as important as the detector itself. I do have a lot of callers that don't mind doing it old school however, its all how you like to hunt. There is no right way, just keep those holes filled and as descreet as possible.

-Brad

He loaned me a CZ3D and used an AT Pro for his own searching at the beach. The next day I had both at my house to "toy" with. I lined up several coins, nails, foil and bottle caps and tested one against the other. Not much difference that I could tell with my uneducated ears. However, I could use the discrim a little better with the AT Pro, so at this time I am leaning toward the Garrett.

Garrett is great, #1 seller out of my list of customers by far. Great for discrimination and customizing your search over the knob discrimination. You really wont get a big advantage with sound unless you work in Pro mode and can get a better distinction by going out and practicing. Metals on the surface will not sound the same as the same target buried under ground for 40 years. Remember that too. Just like fishing, this hobby will take a lot of patience and youll dig up trash, but there is always that big fish you been waiting for to make that patience worth all the wait.