Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New HF Elliptical Gets Some Tiny Gold Bits

This is a very preliminary report. I want to emphasize that I am a newbie on the XP Deus. Although I purchased an 11" Deus V3.2 model almost two years ago, it was with the express purpose of being able to test the V4 update with the new high frequency coil options for gold prospecting. I decided I was better off just starting fresh with version 4.0 before really digging in and learning the detector. I do get the hang of detectors quickly but this does show what can be done by somebody who went out barely knowing the machine.

The other catch is that I picked a location that favors the Deus with relatively mild soil for a gold location, so mild I could run the machine full out to get the maximum possible sensitivity with the machine. These results are not going to be as easy to obtain in extreme mineral ground. You have to start someplace however and being new to the machine I wanted to give myself someplace easy to start. Finally, the goal here was to find the smallest gold I could so for the purposes of this report - smaller is better.

These nuggets were recovered over the course of a day. Ten nuggets, 4.7 grains total weight. There are 480 grains per Troy ounce and with an average weight of less than half a grain I think you can agree this is some pretty small stuff. The smallest bits are probably near 1/10th grain or 1/4800th of a Troy ounce.

Early days but the final word is that I am happy with this coil so far after all the wait. Time will tell how it handles the really bad ground and how it fares directly against some of the competition. Thank you Andy and Charlene for getting the coil to me in time for my hunt!

xp-deus-first-gold-nuggets-herschbach-hf-elliptical.jpg.9364260c47a5196ffffe6dd0142338c6.jpg

Nice Steve! At least now I know I won't have to get a dedicated vlf gold machine for the nugget hunting trips I take now and then.

Steve,
Those are some great results, but...
So many questions.....
Was this dry ground hunting or in the water?
What program?
What frequency?
What settings?

Outstanding finds Steve,

Appreciate you sharing your first elliptical coil gold outing, patience paid off I know you've been looking forward to trying the elliptical.

Good coil for relic hunting too, XP didn't let us down.

Congratulations!
Paul

That's a haul for one day! GOOD JOB!

I received my HF Elliptical for the California Gold Fields and am anxious to get to work with the new coil....if I can ever get back there!

Ive never found natural gold nor have i ever used the deus but i have found plenty of micro gold jewelry. .. that must be one very sensetive unit to pickup on those tiny nuggets. .. great job...

Was this dry ground hunting or in the water? I do not metal detect for gold nuggets in the water. Bone dry.

What program? What frequency? What settings? Like I said I am not claiming to be expert with the device and my settings are not necessarily the best, and are extra hot for mild ground. Since you asked though:

Gold Field #10, Sensitivity 99, 74 kHz, Manual Ground Balance (84 where I was but yours will probably be different), IAR 2, Threshold to suit

GM Power #2, Sensitivity 92-94, 74 kHz, Reactivity 0, Audio Response 7, Manual Ground Balance (see above)

I bounced back and forth between the two testing on targets, generally both modes would hit the gold the other mode found, but Gold Field as an all metal threshold based program has a softer response. GM Power as I set it up is highly boosted and bangs hard on the gold. These are hot settings for mild ground and not likely to work in hotter ground.

How much better is the Elliptical coil over the 9in HF coil on small gold? I don't have the 9" round HF coil so can't answer that question. My guess is not that much but a little. An edge is an edge

What's the highest freq. the Deus can go with the HF coils? 74 kHz is nominally the highest tuned frequency. You can push it higher (81 kHz?) via Frequency Shift but I am doubtful there is any benefit since the offsets will not be properly tuned to the coil.

Steve,
Thanks so much for the answers.

where's that van already :lmfao: