Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Legend

Does the 1000 have tracking and locked GB ?
Even my old MXT had that.
Except for the frequency it does quite well in a few spots around Alaska my little brother tells me.
if you want to learn about the GM 1000 you should consider going to Bill Southerns site Nugget shooter forum and his you tube channel Nugget Shooter Journals he knows the GM 1000 front to back and he swears by the GM1000 his you tube channel is vary informative about gold detectors, the 24K there is not a lot of things on it, Garrets site has a few videos that were done by Steve Hershbach but other then those there is not much on the 24K Mr Hershbach says the 24K is the best gold VLF produced today Bill Southern says the GM1000 is the best in his opinion the only way to truly know which is, is to try both and make a judgement call for yourself like I have done after using both I have to give the edge to the 24K on my ground which most VLF detectors struggle in the 24K runs really smooth once you ground balance it and lock the ground balance it runs smooth as silk, and if you get into a area that it becomes unstable you can unlock the ground balance and let it track there is also in the volume settings a B1(Boost1) and a B2 (Boost 2) which is for deeper faint targets those two settings boost the audio so you can hear the deeper targets, the 24K has some really great features that the GM1000 lacked, the 24k also has a feature called
SAT ( self adjusting threshold) which is nice because it automatically adjust the threshold as you are detecting to keep the threshold running smooth you can also increase the rate at which the SAT adjust in other words how fast the threshold adjust itself all those features in my opinion are nice to have

I am truly enjoying detecting with the 24 K

I do like the Legend but there are things I still feel are not correct on the Legend they need to be addressed by Nokta/Macro like the threshold and the Ground balance which may not be important to coin shooters and people that detect what I call cotton candy ground but as a gold detectorist that is detecting on extremely harsh ground, both those things need to be fixed on the Legend
(especially the Ground Balance)

Last edited:
Wait til you try 4khz, a whole new world…..
Ron; in the Park I have hunted in for 50 yrs now, yesterday in 4Kh is was picking up so much EMI I had to switch to 10 Kh and it shut the EMI off. I don't know why I was picking up EMI but I suspect it has something to do with a new cell tower erected at the north end of the Park.

As Ronstar said…..put it in 4khz and smile

put a quarter on the ground and sweep over it in park mode M1….The quarter should read 50/51…..now take small pieces of foil and surround the quarter keeping them close to the quarter…..sweep again and see if you can hit that quarter….You will see that you can’t….Now put your Legend in 4khz….Sweep over the quarter now …..Walla ! …..You can hit the quarter !….You will miss really small gold in 4 khz, but you will hit deep coins/silver….The adjustability of the Legend is the best feature(s) of the machine ..
i have done tests on buried coins and yes 4 KHZ will hit on coins that all of the other multi frequencies and single frequencies would not even give a whisper on. It gives about 1 inch or more "extra " depth on coins.

Ron; in the Park I have hunted in for 50 yrs now, yesterday in 4Kh is was picking up so much EMI I had to switch to 10 Kh and it shut the EMI off. I don't know why I was picking up EMI but I suspect it has something to do with a new cell tower erected at the north end of the Park.
Hunting nowadays is a different world than even 20 years ago with cell towers, wifi, etc everywhere.
The more time goes on the more sensitive they make these machines combined with more emi around not a good combination.
Unless the technology really changes almost the same using an older detector as it seems we are getting away from multi frequency, not using max sensitivity capabilities etc in response to added emi in the environment and its only going to get worse.
Probably in some areas an old vlf detector will work just as well.
The main advantage of smf, higher frequency now is more for sensitivity to smaller, less conductive targets like gold, jewelry.

As Ronstar said…..put it in 4khz and smile

put a quarter on the ground and sweep over it in park mode M1….The quarter should read 50/51…..now take small pieces of foil and surround the quarter keeping them close to the quarter…..sweep again and see if you can hit that quarter….You will see that you can’t….Now put your Legend in 4khz….Sweep over the quarter now …..Walla ! …..You can hit the quarter !….You will miss really small gold in 4 khz, but you will hit deep coins/silver….The adjustability of the Legend is the best feature(s) of the machine ..
This is where its multiple detectors in one. You hunt deep coins and don’t mind missing the smaller jewelry, i hunt small jewelry and don’t go for deep coins so it will work for the both of us vs having two different detectors for us.
The best part is having only one detector vs three or four in your trunk to fit what and where you are hunting that day.
If you only hunted one thing in one area all the time like the beach for example then you are probably better with a more specific machine like an excalliber.
Hard to make a detector that will be excellent in all categories, you have to expect to give up some performance in a all purpose detector you can use everywhere. Thats just the trade off.

I suspect cell towers have a great deal to do with the emi we experience nowadays.
Years ago ATT wireless used to run on a system of TDMA time division multiple access, now they run on GSM as opposed to say Verizon Wireless which runs CDMA code division multiple access. I remember when in my car if i had ATT i would always know when my phone would get ready to receive/make calls my radar detector would go nuts and i would hear “ noise” in my radio every time. Quite annoying. But if i used at the time it was Alltel now Verizon nothing. Back to ATT same thing then something else and nothing. Was at the time one of the deciding factors to switch companies. Now that they use GSM no emi that could be heard but their coverage of the same area sucks.
There were only a couple cell companies and towers at the time now there are alot more companies and towers not to mention its not just phone call antennas transmitting but data both for phones and business services jamming our air everywhere.
Liken it to trying to drive/ fly in permanent foggy conditions going forward. Going to be harder to do with the same technology and predict results.