Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New/low man on the totem pole

Hi all,
After about a 25+ year hiatus from metal detecting....I'm baaack. Did I miss anything ????
The last machine I owned was a Whites Coinmaster 6000D (can I say that on here ??)
A friend had bought an Explorer II a few years back and found some pretty amazing coins at some pretty amazing depths.
So, I started to keep my eyes peeled for a good used one.
I ended with a an EXP II with a SEF 10x12 coil , and a sunray pinpointer added on.
I haven't had a chance to use it much,but am anxious to get back in into detecting again with my 17 year old son.
I look forward to communicating with fellow Minelab owners.
Regards,
Randy

Hey! Congrats on the new Minelab! Your story is similar to mine. After a break of over 25 years (1st detector was a Bounty Hunter), I bought my Minelab Explorer SE. I love it! Pretty sure you're going to love yours too!

That's the exact setup that I use, yor gonna luv it! Welcome, and I love that handle, "Dirtydeedsdugdirtdeep"

[size=large]as a BIG help in learning the expl ll you may want to get the book by Andy Sabisch , "The Minelab Explorer/ E-trac manual."
it's much better than the manual that came with the machine.jmo

HH [/size]

Wecome Randy! A few years ago I was a new guy on the forum. Let me tell you - there's a great bunch of people on this forum and they'll all do what they can to help you along. I was out of detecting for about 15 years. I started with a Compass (no descriminator) then went to a whites but never used it much.
When I got back in I used a borrowed Bounty Hunter Landstar for about 6 years. I did surprisingly well with it but I knew I could do better. I love my SE and this forum has been terrific!!
Bruce in Ct

Thanks Bruce and all the rest.
I'm really chomping at the bit to get back into it FULL SWING.
I'm trying to get a buddy fired up about it too.
He has a friend that has a 150 acre farm in W.Va that's been in the family 100+ years and he's going to see if he can get permission to check it out.
Depending on it's location,it may have seen some C.W. activity.

I started my "career" with a Whites Goldmaster for Christmas when I was 16 or 17.
I used that for awhile and saved my money to buy a then new Coinmaster 5 , which I believe was THE first VLF machine out.
Man that thing would find nails !
But it also seemed to pick up silver real well too.
Along the line I tried Compass machines (forget the model) and had a Bounty Hunter Red Baron for awhile also.
As stated earlier,my last machine was a White's 6000-D.
When it quit,so did I.
Then I built a house, started a family,and then a successful small business.
Now I need the respite from business stress that metal detecting can offer.

Because it's darn hard for two guys to use the same detector at the same time,I bought a used Garrett GTI 2500 as a backup machine for my son because I figured it would be easier for a novice to work with.
Well, I was correct up to a point.
The machine IS easy to use: just hunt in discriminate mode,and pinpoint your hits.
Where the problem is starting to show up is in our test garden.
I planted a large cent at 8",a silver quarter at 8",a silver dime at 6",and a pre-1982 penny at 6".
With the EXP II in factory pre-sets and the sensitivity turned up,I can pick out all the targets no trouble;and there's no mistaking them for junk by the sound and the icon location.
Now with the Garrett in all-metal it picks up the targets amazingly strong.
BUT , run over the targets in Disc. and there's nobody home.
Not even a peep.
My thinking is this: the Garrett will be a great machine to use the morning after a carnival or hitting around playground equipment for new "easy money"; but forget it if we want to check out old parks and home sites unless we use it in all-metal.
Then it will probably be blasting off every couple of inches because of the iron.
Since switching to discriminate seems to drastically cut the sensitivity , the good targets will probably be missed .
Long story even longer,I think I'm going to flip the Garrett (or keep it for mom) and train junior on the EXP II, and it will give me a good excuse to go for another EXP or an Etrac.

welcome aboard and i also love your handle dirty deeds