Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Member - New Detector

rglyons

Well, I've been lurking for awhile, and decided to join. Seems to be a good bunch of people here. I'm a 64 year old with congestive heart failure and a bad back where a drunk driver tried to total me back in 2005.
I've always loved to detect since I picked up the hobby back in the 80's. My third detector then was a 1984 White's 6000Di Coinmaster which I loved, although it was HEAVY, but boy, could it beat out the competition. Last year I went up in the barn where it was stored, and found it under a leak in the roof - water and weather had gotten to it. Mice had feasted on the cords also. I realized it had gone to detector heaven and I would miss it. With my bad back and CHF I knew I would have to get a lighter detector, so I checked the forums and reviews and decided on the Ace 250. It's been a good choice. Compared to the 6000, it's been easy to learn and easy to swing.
When I first started using it, I was placing the sensitivity way too high and was finding birdshot, other metals extremely small - even a very tiny washer that could have come from the insides of a watch. After I reduced sens. to four or five bars, the coins started coming in. I LOVE THIS MACHINE! My old White's was very good in it's day, but IMHO this machine is better! Think I'll stick with Garrett for awhile, but do need the sniper coil. You guys have a contagiousness about you.

I'll try to post some pictures after I get back into this real good.

Thanks, R "Gene" Lyons, Valliant, Ok.

Welcome Gene. Glad your having fun! If you making finds with the stock coil then just go for it. Later if you find there is a lot of trash around you might get the sniper coil. It's the best little coil of any machine I have used. Don't worry about it just dig with what you have.

Good to have you on board Gene. I am an old guy and bought a 250 as a backup for my GTI2500. Uncle Willy told me that I would end up using it more than I expected, and he was right (especially on the tot lots). Good luck and let us know of your finds.

Welcome to the forum. At 64 your just starting.
You,ve chosen a good little :detecting: machine
Sorry to hear about your health condition.
Getting back to this hobby will make you well again:thumbup:

If you take it easy, rest and use your puffer, your CHF should not get in the way of you getting some great finds. Getting the ACE was a smart move, as it is a very lite machine. Keep in touch and post your finds. If you have any questions, just ask.

Youll want to the large coil, too.

There are a few crab apples around here but not many. Gotta be one of the best forums on the planet, IMHO. COntagious was a great description.

Youll want to get the large coil, too.

There are a few crab apples around here but not many. Gotta be one of the best forums on the planet, IMHO. COntagious was a great description.

Nice to meet you Gene, good luck with your Ace and let us see some of the goodies you find. It's not half bad exercise getting out there walking and swinging and crouching and digging.

Forgot to say if you play with that tector long enough it will reward you well. Plus, you have joined the primo forum on the internet. We'll be looking forward to your success and pics of your finds. We're all here to help should you have any problems but from your post you're an old hand at this. Good luck.

Bill.