Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Member, New V3 owner (tips please)

RacerX

Hello Everyone, New member here. Looks like a great forum. :)

I was hoping I might get some V3 tips from the guys who have had them for awhile and who focus on deep silver. I'm not new to detecting. I started 11 years ago with a XLT. The XLT is it is literally the only detector I have ever used with the exception of a short 30 minute trial of the DFX (which I didn't care for, atleast not enough to give up one on my XLT'). Well, I test drove a V3 about a week ago for about 4 hours and felt it is far superior to an XLT and decided to pull the trigger. I take delivery of the V3 tonight just before a night hunt with a buddy.

The problem is the V3 so foreign to me. Even the sound of it is radically different to ears so used to a single machine. (I run the XLT with tone ID and VCO on)

So, any tips to help make this transition quicker?

I've noticed deep coins can have a low VDI number. (some wheats at 6" rang in the 50's) Comments?

I did about 10-15 test digs on clean good sounding targets but that had a marginal arches in analyze mode. Each time the target was a good conductor but garbage - such as a lead weight or brass nut. Is analyze really that precise or can a coin also give a marginal arch?

A few times in analize I got no arches of any kind. What does that mean? Could that ever be a coin? (I realize there are no absolutes and depending on the area I should dig everything)

I tested with a 5.3 loop. What do you guys think of the stock loop? My buddy thinks I'll want to go to the 9.5 loop (similar to an XLT) but isn't the DD loop what makes this machine run deeper?

What other things would you comment on for a guy going from an XLT to a V3?

Any help appreciated.

I use the Hi Pro program with great results it hits hard on coins, It has tone id and vco on but you can do that with any other program also. You might find that you will need to reduce the gain to get it stabilized depending on where you are hunting. READ THE MANUAL OVER AND OVER. Good luck

Welcome !!! I have put about 100+ hours on the V3 in Hi-Pro mode and really enjoy it . In a lot of senses the V3 has been an out of the box detector with Rx gain and discrimination being the first couple tweaks that you should learn for your soil conditions.

Good luck and HH Pat

lot of tips have been posted here---I Sugest you go to the start and read every tip as there is good stuff in the history of this forum

Ya, there's just SO MUCH to go through. Plus I'm easily distracted by the "Look what I found with my V3" threads. :yikes: I have been reading though.

Went out to a turn of the century school last night that had it's yard bulldozed. Apparently my buddy cursed us as we pulled up out front and got a look at the place he said "this is going to be good". The place obviously hadn't been hunted since the demo (or not very well anyway) but only a couple of wheats came out.

I did find a nice bracelet. Odd, I've never found a bracelet or necklace. They don't ring very well on the XLT (for me anyway). Nice solid 19 VDI signal on the V3. Later I'll post it up to get ideas on what the metal might be. It looks to be tarnished silver but it's far too heavy. Though the VDI number would indicate it - I don't think it's white gold due to the tarnish. Pewter maybe?

I would expect silver to VDI higher than 19 -- that's where nickels and pulltabs show up for me.

Agreed, it's not silver. Maybe I should have worded my post differently to say: 'It looks like silver but it's too heavy and rings at 19 so it's not. 19 would support it being white gold, but it's tarnished. I'm thinking it's pewter but have no idea how conductive pewter is (how it would come up on VDI).