Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New member with Garrett question

Thylacine

G'day.

I just picked up a 2nd hand but like new Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS and I am just learning how to use it.

My problem (at the moment) is that it does not seem to like gold or silver, I was looking for a silver ring my daughter dropped in the lawn and after not having any hits I decided to test the machine with a gold ring and a bundled up silver chain. Nothing, no tone, no movement on the needle. Any thoughts? I have down loaded and printed out the instructions for this model, but there is not much there on tuning it in.

The unit came with the arm rest, a 7" coil and an 11.5" coil. Both coils work at finding mesh in the concrete driveway and coins placed on the grass.

I think I will clear a spot in the garden and bury some items so that I can target and attempt to locate and discern them with my new toy.

Not seeing how it is set up, if it is working, it should hit hard on silver and copper and also on an object holed like a ring or washer. You must not have it set up properly or it's isn't working properly. It's an excellent detector, even hard to beat it's depth with today's standards.

Here's a field test on it. (below)

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/master-hunter-7-ads-garrett

And a manual in case you don't have one.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/Master-Hunters-7X-and-10X.pdf

Check the two discrimination knobs that are located to the left as you look at the machine. Anything set above the little arrow targets is going eliminate either gold or rings. I would suggest setting them all the way counter clock wise and run it in the discriminate mode. This accepts everything except for some iron.
I would use the smaller coil and test it out on known targets that you place on the ground. Also set it so there is an audible threshold when you are not picking up a target. I found lots coins and rings with this detector so it is capable of what you want to do. One nice feature of it is real time indication of depth as you are pinpointing.

Good luck

Jerry