Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New MX5 w/ SEF 10x12 DD

Well my new toys have all been delivered. I was able to put everything together and step outside for a few. Everything feels good. Coil is a bit heavy but not horrible. The auto ground balance is awesome. I am glad to have a machine with threshold again. It is a chattering sounding threshold and not a smooth tone I have used before. I set it at 14 which was enough to hear but not drive me nuts. I was able to run sensitivity at 9 with no issues. This is also the first time I have ever used a DD coil. I threw a few coins down to see where they pinpointed and how the coil responds. I was able to play around for about 20 min. In that time I detected was was said to be a dime at 6.5". Sure as heck there was a clad dime at 6+ inches. About ten swings later I got a very strong hit that said quarter. It was saying it was at 9.5"!! Grabbed my Sampson shovel and took out a plug and one more big scoop. A quick second with my new TRX pinpointer, there was my 9+ inch quarter! I can't wait to get out with my new MX5 hopefully this weekend.

Try running the threshold as low as you can go and still hear it. I have been running mine around 5 when there is not a lot of back ground noise. Play with it at different settings. You are going to love the MX5.

Hammer, you will get use to the threshold. I thought something was wrong with mine and even called Whites. It is the nature of the beast. I think the MX5 is like most other detectors on nickels. I ignore signals jumping from 20-22-24. If it is a shallow nickel(four inches or less, it will be 20, maybe 18. Deeper nickels where I hunt will almost always read 16-18-20. I dug a perfect 20 signal a couple of weeks ago and found a child 14k ring. It locked hard and did not jump. About four or five inches deep. Good luck, it is a very hot detector.