Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New MXT user coming from V3i

Wayfarer

I just got an MXT this week after many years of curiosity finally got to try one out. I put in about 6 hours yesterday with the MXT. Before the MXT, my main detector was the VX3 and before that the V3i. I've been using the V3i/VX3 pretty much exclusively for the last two years and know those detectors pretty well, so I can provide some comparisons and observations that may hopefully be of interest to the members here.

First off, my background: I've been detecting for 35 years always with White's machines except for my current nugget hunting detector which is a Gold Bug Pro. By the mid-80's, I was using White's top of the line detector, starting with the 6000D and then graduating to a rainbow XLT when they first came out. The XLT was my main detector for over 10 years until I bought a new XL Pro when they were on closeout in 2005. Glad I did! I did some pretty exhaustive comparison testing between the XLT and XL Pro and finally concluded to my surprise that the performance was pretty much identical, the only advantage of the XLT that really were of any benefit was that the ground balance point was manually adjustable. The XL Pro was far more user friendly and had that sweet analog sound I knew so well from my 6000D days. This was my first leson that newer tech wasn't always better. I still liked the XLT, still have it and like it very much, actually, but it really didn't offer any advantages in actual performance over the much simpler analog XL Pro.

So the XL Pro was my primary detector for the next 7 years until I finally gave in to all the excitement surrounding the V3i. Fall of 2012 I bought a V3i and after several months of struggles and one complete replacement by White's, finally got the hang of it. I found lots of good stuff with the V3i, including some great silver coins from heavily "hunted out" sites. I was doing pretty well but I was also putting in a lot of time. They say you gotta put your coil over it to find it, and I was putting my coil over a lot of ground with my V3i, so I'm not sure if it was the machine or just the time I was putting in, but the V3i did find me some good stuff. However, I never really got over the complexity of the V3i. It wasn't that I didn't understand how the settings worked, I understood exactly what each setting did and fiddled with all the adjustments until I figured it all out. It was just that I couldn't ever *remember* where I had put all the adjustments. ("Hey, why did I stop finding anything? Oh that's right, I'm in 7.5 high pass, or oh yeah, SAT speed is still way high from that patch awhile back, or wait, I'm still at 40 recovery speed from when I was hunting in that trashy area" and so on). There was just too much to mentally keep track of all the time that it was affecting my fun factor. Yes, I know, you don't have to make all those adjustments if you don't want to, you can just leave them at preset, etc., but if it was there, I couldn't resist making the adjustment to see if I could tweak a little extra performance, especially with everyone on the forums saying over and over that you gotta tweak the V3i to get the most out of it.

Anyway, long story a little less long, I finally sold the V3i and bought a VX3 this spring and have been using it exclusively ever since. I really like the VX3, much better than the V3i actually. The performance is the same as far as I can tell, and I haven't missed any of the V3i adjustments that aren't there on the VX3 (except for loctrac ground balance offset, I still really like to be able to manually adjust ground balance, but I can deal with it). The VX3 is a really great detector and I thought I finally found the best detector for my needs, namely hunting hard-hit parks and schools for the occasional passed over silver coin and for gold jewelry and anything else that might be interesting.

Enter the MXT. I've long heard about the MXT's fine qualities, especially in the trash with its fast recovery and simple 3-filter design. My V3i/VX3 never really did that great in heavy trash. Not bad, but not great either. The Gold Bug Pro is actually much better in heavy trash than the VX3. Plus the VX3 doesn't have the most stable VDI, especially past about 4-5". (My XL Pro still has the most stable VDI on deep targets than any detector I've ever had!). Plus, I've never really warmed up to the VERY digital sound of the V-series. So after keeping my eye out, I found a great deal on an MXT (non-pro) that had only been used once to find some property stakes and then put away; it's truly like new. So yesterday I went out to a local park near my house with my new-to-me MXT and my 6x10 White's coil (my favorite coil on the VX3) and put it through its paces in my moderate Idaho soil. My hunting style these days is to dig all gold range targets, especially pull tab range in hopes of finding gold (rarely do I succeed but I have fun testing myself and my machine). Here are my observations:

The MXT is really a fantastic detector! It is just as deep as any of my V-series detector, not any deeper, but just as deep when I ran the MXT at +2 or +3 gain. I was consistently recovering targets down 6-7" with good VDI indications. Old ring-type pull tabs were ID-ing reliably down to 6" and I could often tell up to 7-8" by watching how the numbers bounced on these really deep targets. This put the VDI accuracy of the MXT slightly ahead of my VX3. The MXT was chatty as heck at high gain in Coin & Jewelry mode, but I soon discovered that in Relic mode, it was much quieter and just as deep. So I spent most of the day hunting in Relic mode. The adjustments were super simple and easy, the auto ground balance did a great job, and I was using the original Energizers that the previous owner first put in 5 years ago! The audio had a great analog quality to it. It was like my old XL Pro, it would build up in volume as you swept over the target, much more pleasing than the audio on the VX3 which is more like "ON-OFF," the VX3 just beeps full blast or doesn't make a sound, even with modulation ON a high setting, it has a very digital step-like modulation. The MXT audio had a sweet continuously variable analog-type sound that I missed from earlier times. I think with the VX3/V3i, there is so much digital processing going on, the computer brain does all the processing for you and then decides for you whether to tell you if there is a target there or not, whereas the MXT is an honest machine, just reporting what it is detecting and letting the operator decide for himself what it means. It's hard to describe what I'm talking about with the audio comparison, but I'm sure users of both machines will know what I am talking about. Overall, the MXT was just as deep, a little more accurate in the VDI indications, and a whole lot better audio, especially in Relic mode which wasn't nearly as chattery as Coin & Jewelry.

OK, so where does the VX3 beat the MXT? The screen! The VX3 is simply the best screen ever. I hadn't realized it until it was gone, but I had started to really rely on the "on the fly" depth readout of the V-series. It's nice to sweep the target in discrimination mode and see right away how deep the target is without having to go into pinpoint mode. With the MXT, you have to pinpoint the target to get a depth indication. Not a biggie, but it is a nice feature on the V-series. Second is the Spectragraph. Going all the way back to XLT, the Spectragraph has given me a lot of additional and very useful target information beyond just a VDI number. You can kind of mentally do this yourself on the MXT by mentally keeping track of how the numbers bounce around, but there is just no substitute for the great information presented by the great White's Spectragraph. Last but not least, the three frequency readout in pinpoint on the VX3 is a great tool for picking out closely spaced targets. I don't really use the three frequency to ID the target, but it sure does come in handy when picking out a good target amongst the trash. If you are getting erratic VDI's, especially when the target is relatively shallow, you can use the three frequency bars to pick out the good target from the bad. When you get an erratic VDI that seems to be bouncing around but getting occasional coin numbers, you can pinpoint in 3 freq and very often tell that there is a coin nestled right in next to a nail, a pull tab, a bottle cap or whatever, by watching how the frequency bars suddenly flip their dominant frequency as you slowly sweep the target in pinpoint mode. This technique is actually how I got most of my silver coins in hunted out areas. I really miss that ability on the MXT.

So what is my conclusion? My conclusion is that raw performance of the MXT equals the V-series. The MXT has much better sounding audio and a slightly more accurate VDI. The recovery speed is great on the MXT and reminds me of the old IDX Pro I used to have. The MXT is also FAR simpler to operate. I'm going to begin using the MXT as my primary machine until I really get to learn it and report back. But my initial impressions are that this is one fantastic detector.

Thanks for reading. Hope this was interesting and helpful.

Hello Wayfarer,
yes, your post was some informative and interesting, but brought up no news.:lol:

One question along, you're talking about a simple 3-filter design. Depending to what? Just curious...

Happy Hunting

...p.s. -time to update your signature? mxt rocks :super:

Hey Vito, you're right, I need to proudly fly that new MXT flag!

As for the 3-filter, what I meant is that it is faster to process, not as much filtering, compared to the 4-filter designs I am most experienced with (6000D, XL Pro, XLT). The old IDX Pro I had was a 2-filter and the MXT reminds me a lot of that IDX - fast processing - but the MXT seems to be able to tolerate a faster sweep speed than my old IDX.

I have a test garden in my backyard and one of my favorite test targets is a clad dime at 6 1/2". This is right at the fringe of most detectors ability to accurately ID via the VDI. My V3i's and VX3 can only give me a coin indication on about 25% of sweeps. My XL Pro does better with a decent coin indication about 75% of the time. The MXT is doing as well as my XL Pro. Granted, the XL Pro is using an 8" concentric coil vs the 6x10 on the MXT and the VX3. But I am using the same 6x10 coil swapping it out on the MXT and the VX3 for my test, and the MXT is definitely ID'ing better on that 6 1/2" dime. I never would have believed it unless

I'm planning to do more direct testing of my VX3 and MXT but first I'm going to put more hours in on the MXT so it can be a fair test (I already know the VX3 very well).

So this is all old news apparently for the MXT crowd :blush: I admit I've never really hung out here. Over at the V3i forum I bet this would be new news or at least a bit controversial :rolleyes: But I hope it's enjoyable to hear my "How I came to discover the MXT" story. Now that I know myself how good the MXT is, I'm sure this is a happy story that has been told many times before:clapping:

The takeaway for me is that this all just goes to show that VLF technology really hasn't improved all that much on the last 20+years, it's just mostly the bells and whistles, kind of like the XLT vs old 6000 comparison. They can only do so much with VLF and they had it pretty much figured out 20 years ago. One thing for sure, though, is that I have a keeper with this MXT and am surprised I just now got around to giving this legendary White's model a try. No doubt you MXT guys (and gals) have been onto something!

Hey Wayfarer, what I was going to say was, great post for sure. And you wrote what some of us, who too used the "higher level" machines, wrote some time ago.

But many owners of DFX, V3 and VX3 disagreed about. Only a handful, who owned the MXT also, concured.

Asking about the filters was, when reading the MXT engineering report there in David E. Johnson says it is a two filter machine... anyway.
And about performance and the 6x10 DD Eclipse you're right, as the MXT was developed aound the 6x10.
Having both 950 coils (old style and the new one) all I can say is, the old style one is not that sensitive and deep as the new one is.
And the differences between the 10" DD round and the 6x10 DD Eclipse are, the 10" DD is a little deeper (less than an inch), but pinpointing is a torture. If one owns a DD, there is no need for the other one IMO.

Glad you like the MXT.

I am sure you are aware of the VDI blocks they are a big help and are explained in the manual. One other option is the small SEF coil 8x6 you really need to give that a go. Many here have been very impressed with this little number. I use it and love it. I used a larger one for a very short time. Not it's fault but the ground here registers at 80 so you don't want to be looking at any more than necessary. I really enjoyed reading over your post the history and conclusions were informative. Good luck with that MXT it is as great a machine as people here have often said.

I use relic mode trigger forward all the time.
This year picked up the 6x8 sef coil and really make the detector hum.
Like bottle caps but found two gold rings and a bunch of silvers rings
plus quite a few silver coins.
Liked the XLT E series but sold it to a friend as he wanted to upgrade..

Welcome to the world of the MXT. Love you posts!

You will learn the more you use the MXT, the more you will realize that the audio is much more telling than the screen. I hardly ever look at the screen when hunting with my MXT. I do have the Pro model, and the tone ID does help. The deeper targets break the threshold and you can isolate them via briskly sweeping over the target. Being a CZ user for most of my life, I appreciate knobs, simplicity and raw power. That's the MXT in a nutshell.

The 8x6 SEF is a super coil for the unit...get one if you can. It does not come off my MXT Pro.

Lastly...CHANGE THOSE BATTERIES !!! HA !

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. I can't wait to get out some more with the MXT, unfortunately this inconvenient thing call 'work' keeps getting in the way :cry:

I was able to spend some time in the dark after work the last couple of days in my backyard and in my living room testing targets. The disc control seems to be really sharp, works great! If I set it just right near the top of the scale, I can disc out zincs but still accept the early Wheaties. That's very cool!

One question that I keep trying to figure out: Relic mode with the trigger in the center position is waaay smoother and quieter than either Coin & Jewelry or Relic with the trigger forward, even with the gain turned all the way up to +3. Researching previous posts, this seems to be because the SAT speed is a lot slower in regular Relic mode, but I can't really tell much else about regular Relic mode. Not only do I love the quiet threshold but I love the tones in regular Relic mode and would like to use it all the time hunting for coins. Is there any drawback to the slower SAT speed and quieter audio with the regular Relic mode? I mean there's always a tradeoff somewhere with all settings, right? What is the downside to always running in regular Relic? Maybe missing really deep 'whisper' targets?

I'm just thrilled about this MXT and am kicking myself for not trying one out sooner. I just figured since I already had the top of the line White's then there was no way the MXT could compare. Boy was I wrong. It's nice too that I already have all the coils since I had them already for my VX3.

What I like is the trigger forward in relic mode and disc set to zero. This will give a low pitched tone for iron and a high pitched tone for all other targets. Targets which are to deep so the ID-system cann't log in will be announced with the threshold pitch. This is the all metal AND the disc at the same time.
If getting those all metal signals I remove a few inches of dirt and then try again to get a ID-reading.

The coin & jewelry mode was used only two times in the beginning. Didn't like it at all, but may be I'll give it another shot in the future.:wiggle:

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

Wayfarer your post may be old news to some,but to us who are considering the MXT series it is very helpful. Please keep up the good work and good posts