Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Old Guy with a new hobby

Musketeer

Hi all, I have been reading the forums for a few weeks and decided to join in. I have learned a lot from them.

I have always wanted a good metal detector, but just never seemed to get around to doing anything about it.
So a few weeks ago a GTI2500 moved in. For 50 years I have prepared my yard for a learning experience by mowing over aluminum cans and I once wrecked out junk cars where my yard is now, so 50 years of chewed up aluminum and bits and pieces of cars is being seriously disturbed. I got hooked yesterday with my first coin separated from tons of aluminum. A 2004 dime, not much but a real rush for me. The very first find was a WWI dogtag, still readable.

Thanks to the help desk folks who finally got me registered, seems like cyber space ate up my requests and activation e-mails.

A WW2 dog tag is something I've always wanted to find. I've dug 31,000 plus coins and at least 50,000 total targets and I've never found one. When you feel comfortable with your recovery tehniques hit a nearby park. There will be more coins there. I love my 2500 so I'd say you made a great choice. We've found some real treasure together. Did you get the big imaging coil? When you get proficient with the stock coil start practicing with the larger coil. It ain't exactly the same but once I switched I quickly started accumulating silver coins and wheats. There are tons of old posts, many by me, about the differences.

Chris

Yes, I got the 12.5 in imaging coil and the 10x14 DD coil also, along with the 3.5 in Sniper, and the Eagle Eye Depth Multiplier. One reason I went with Garrett is that all this was reasonably priced compared to other brands. And by reading reviews of metal detectors and besides, I live only 75 miles from the Garrett factory. So if things don't work right, I can go pound on an engineer's desk instead of dealing with a retailer's customer service.

Yeah, there are tons of places to hunt around here but I have never seen but a couple of people searching.

I work on a ranch some and last summer the rancher was building a stock tank and brush knocked the air breather loose on his bulldozer, losing the cover. He called me to come and bring the Bobcat and some shovels. I knew my neighbor had a metal detector, so I borrowed it. I drove to the ranch and found the cover within a couple of minutes under a foot of dirt and rocks.

So I got the Eagle Eye depth multiplier to search for pipelines and other buried objects on his and other ranches. I already have a request to search for a pipeline, a lost favorite knife and a request by the local historian to search a grave site to try to identify the person buried there. He was killed by Indians late 19th Century for his horse and was buried where he fell in what has been known ever since as "Dead Man's Pasture". And as a bonus a real genuine ghost town, all to myself, which is located on sections of 3 ranches, as well as some 2 century old cattle pens. Along with a Comanche campground, under a bluff, where they knapped flint. The rancher has picked up many stone points and pieces. I am going to search it, as the Indians had metal objects since the 1700s.

The dog tag was a WW 1, I don't think they called them dogtags then, but "Identification disks".

I have been reading the older posts and noticed some by you and as I learn enough to ask questions, I will be asking.

Welcome aboard Musketeer! Sounds like you are all hooked up with awesome places to hunt! Good luck to you..HH!:garrett:

You bought a great machine. Wait until you get about 100 hours on it. You will be pulling many more coins out of the ground and leaving a lot of junk in the ground for others to find. If you have any questions.....just ask. We were all new at one time to. Please post your finds....

Welcome aboard bud to the most popular forum on the net. We'll be looking forward to your success and pics of your finds. If you have any problems we're here to help.

Bill

Thanks all for the welcome and words of encouragement.

I will be asking questions, as I'm trying to learn enough to ask. I think the 100 hours advice is excellent.

As I said above, I have wrecked out vehicles, appliances and aircraft components on this property when it was zoned light industrial. So I have a temendous assortment of buried metals in all stages of decomposition. I dug a zinc penny, which the machine identified correctly, that is so corroded I can only see the Lincoln Memorial. I have also dug some rust pockets, no metal left, just rust. The Pro-Pointer sounded off on them, which by scanning small clods of dirt I was able to identify them as rust pockets.

Oh, don't take your new GTI 2500 out on your very first run wearing steel toed safety boots. It just took me two days to figure that FAIL out.

See, I'm smarter already.

I had the Same probelm with steel swing poles...!!

took a while but finally i finally figured it out ....

about an HR to be exact....

Safe happy fun hunts to you

Ron
Rangers Lead The Way

Welcome aboard from a fellow Texan! I bet you will enjoy that 2500 a lot. I've had mine for almost 5 years and am still learning new things about it.
Anyhow be safe and HH!
Joe :detecting::garrett:

Welcome to the forum!:wave:This is a wonderful community and a great place to share info!:garrett:Welcome to the hobby!:detecting:You've got a really great machine!:thumbup:Keep us posted!:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)