Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New (Old) guy

Coptician

Good morning all, hope this is the place for a short introduction. My 1st machine was a Cibola, about 10 years ago, and I did pretty well with it. Since I live in the Tidewater area of Va, I got into beach hunting also so I got a Minelab Sovereign for that. I used to hang on the forums as "VBDave", but work and responsibilities took too much of my attention, and I drifted away from the hobby. Now that I'm retired (sort of), it's time to start enjoying myself a bit. I've dedicated my Sovereign strictly to beach hunting and recently got a Vaquero for everything else. Just bought the Vaquero EBook and plan on learning it the right way along with whatever wisdom I can glean from ya'll.
The "Coptician" moniker is from my 2 careers; retired police officer and now licensed optician. I look forward to beepin n diggin with all of you:twodetecting:

Good choice on the vaquero.
Essentially same as your cibola with ability to ground balance.
I did notice that the disc circuits between my cibola and Vaquero are different. I.E. coins fall out in different areas.
A quick bench test and taking notes (or in my case I put marks for a nickel and a zinc penny because they aren't really on the lines they are supposed to be but this varies). I only did this because I own both and want to eliminate confusion. I have many detectors and it's just easier this way.
You'll enjoy the book. There's alot to learn from it.
Besides that, just practice the little tricks from the book and get your ground balancing down packed, and you will be fine.
I personally don't find much need for super tuning, which you will read about in the book, as I don't hunt for things that deep. But it does help if you get a faint beep and want to amplify the sound. But with this comes the loss of the subtleties of the tone and identification of the target. Just remember to set your threshold back to the slight hum before continuing.
Good luck and happy hunting.
I look forward to hearing how the Vaquero works out for you!!

I'm gonna entertain the idea of supertuning. Living in the swamp means a lot of properties have been filled. Being able to punch though that may be of value. We'll see.

I have done real well with a Vaquero . For a long tie I ran the sensitivity at around 10 and complained that my unit wasnt as deep as others I saw on Youtube . Crank that sens well up into the red and it hits those deeper coins .Welcome to the forums .

hatpin said:
I have done real well with a Vaquero . For a long tie I ran the sensitivity at around 10 and complained that my unit wasnt as deep as others I saw on Youtube . Crank that sens well up into the red and it hits those deeper coins .Welcome to the forums .

I can usually run my Vaquero around 10+, but only if the soil isn't too "hot". In heavy mineralization, I find that I get better target response with lower sensitivity. I was hunting in damp gravel in the mountains yesterday, looking for coins at an old, private camp. While I found quite a few, it was only after lowering sensitivity to between 3-5. With it turned up high, my target response was too choppy, especially on shallow targets. Running sensitivity lower firmed up my signals.
I was using the 5.75 widescan, btw, which should have helped in that mineralization.

Stoof-tabsallday said:
I did notice that the disc circuits between my cibola and Vaquero are different. I.E. coins fall out in different areas.
A quick bench test and taking notes (or in my case I put marks for a nickel and a zinc penny because they aren't really on the lines they are supposed to be but this varies). I only did this because I own both and want to eliminate confusion. I have many detectors and it's just easier this way.
You'll enjoy the book. There's allot to learn from it.
Besides that, just practice the little tricks from the book and get your ground balancing down packed, and you will be fine.
I personally don't find much need for super tuning, which you will read about in the book, as I don't hunt for things that deep. But it does help if you get a faint beep and want to amplify the sound. But with this comes the loss of the subtleties of the tone and identification of the target. Just remember to set your threshold back to the slight hum before continuing.

Concerning the disc circuits being off between the detectors disc knobs it's really an easy fix if you want to fix it and a common issue on Tesoro detectors. They don't always get the knobs spot on from the factory (it takes a little time to do and they get them close but not always spot on).

Your disc knobs are off from the factory all you got to do is just loosen the set screw and adjust the knob were it drops the nickel right at the nickel mark and all will be good. It is not uncommon for the disc knob to be off one way ore the other from the factory on Tesoro detectors. I have had to adjust the disc knob to drop out the nickels on the nickel mark on almost every Tesoro I have ever owned. I just did it on my new Black Vaquero it was dropping nickels past the nickel mark, now it's spot on. I also had to do it on my new Black Tejon on both disc knobs. I also did it on my Outlaw and my previous older Vaquero that I had.

After you do this adjustment (Knob calibration) to your disc knob the knob will be pretty much spot on throughout the range compared to the marks at were the targets are suppose to drop out.

Take your time and make sure and use the right size allen wrench. Snug the set screws but don't over tighten. Only use minimal tightening until you get the knob were you need it then snug it down and double check the knob calibration.

All my Tesoro's are spot on now.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* Whites M6

Bill G said:
Stoof-tabsallday said:

Concerning the disc circuits being off between the detectors disc knobs it's really an easy fix if you want to fix it and a common issue on Tesoro detectors. They don't always get the knobs spot on from the factory (it takes a little time to do and they get them close but not always spot on).

Your disc knobs are off from the factory all you got to do is just loosen the set screw and adjust the knob were it drops the nickel right at the nickel mark and all will be good. It is not uncommon for the disc knob to be off one way ore the other from the factory on Tesoro detectors. I have had to adjust the disc knob to drop out the nickels on the nickel mark on almost every Tesoro I have ever owned. I just did it on my new Black Vaquero it was dropping nickels past the nickel mark, now it's spot on. I also had to do it on my new Black Tejon on both disc knobs. I also did it on my Outlaw and my previous older Vaquero that I had.

After you do this adjustment (Knob calibration) to your disc knob the knob will be pretty much spot on throughout the range compared to the marks at were the targets are suppose to drop out.

Take your time and make sure and use the right size allen wrench. Snug the set screws but don't over tighten. Only use minimal tightening until you get the knob were you need it then snug it down and double check the knob calibration.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* Whites M6

Message sent.

Stoof-tabsallday said:
Bill G said:
Stoof-tabsallday said:

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* Whites M6

Message sent.

I got it and thanks for the clarification on your units.

Thanks,
Bill G

If you haven't used the Sovereign for older parks for coins you're missing some nice coins.

Coptician said:
I'm gonna entertain the idea of supertuning. Living in the swamp means a lot of properties have been filled. Being able to punch though that may be of value. We'll see.

After a good neutral ground balance Just turn the ground balance 1/4 turn negative and you will get the extra depth without super tuning the Vaquero. This will allow the threshold to be correct if you pinpoint or if you decide to use the all metal mode without having to turn the threshold down. I have found if you do this there is no real benefit to super tuning in most cases with the Vaquero.

Give both ways a try. Try running the Vaquero super tuned and also try it ground balanced 1/4 turn negative.

A guy named scannerguy on you tube has a great video showing this.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* White's M6

For a year or so, the Sovereign was my only sword. It's good in the dirt but a lot heavier, so I set it up with a remote all metal switch and a hip mount bag, now dedicated to salt sand. Besides, my tendency is to learn something new, then spend ridiculous amounts of money on the latest and greatest, only to gravitate back to what I originally learned on. My first machine was a Cibola, so the Vaquero feels like home. Likewise, I started my police career with an issued .38 revolver and "evolved" through several issued and personally bought semi autos. Retired now, I carry a revolver again. And my first motorcycle was a 1972 Honda CB350 Four. Over 50 bikes later, I'm now restoring another 350 Four with my son. The more things change, the more they stay the same. BTW, my son is Steve on the custom auto/motorcycle show "Fantomworks".