Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New on v3i

cypearl

I just got my new v3i and i have been out for just to learn a little the machine but i have found out that i could not get that much of depth as i used to have with other models. i even made ground balance for a time i used the coin and jewelery program. what ever could be helpful i will appreciate. Thanks.

Try running Hi-Pro. Depth should improve. HH

You need to give some information if you expect any useful help. For instance what were the other models you are talking about and how much experience do you have with Whites detectors? What is the area of the country you are hunting in? What kind of site are you hunting? How do you know you aren't getting the depth of the other models?

Just changing to another program will not help. Some people are hunting in C/J all the time with great success.

I used minelab explorer se but Rob you are right because you cannot say immediately you do not get depth, but i also want the sounds to vary from each other target small to large as an example or from their difference in metal composition, is this possible to do it? I found from settings "standard, discriminate", and custom options it once it seemed to me it changed to what i wanted but when i turned it off and back on again sounded the same, and and was still on the discriminate option, and sounded again the same after i took all the others just nothing changed. do you think it is a malfunction?

I also use a SE. You have to ground balance the V3i, it doesn't work like the SE, ground balance must be done correctly and is important. You still didn't say what you were hunting for and what type of site you are hunting.

After you make your changes you need to go to expert menu, program, save. Then save the program after you make your changes.

When you say you turn if off and on, do you mean turning the detector off and then on? Or the function itself?

I'm a little confused what you mean: "I found from settings "standard, discriminate", and custom options it once it seemed to me it changed to what i wanted but when i turned it off and back on again sounded the same, and and was still on the discriminate option, and sounded again the same after i took all the others just nothing changed. do you think it is a malfunction?"

Are you talking about changing the tones for your targets in the audio section? I see options "Standard", "Shifted" and "Custom" in the VDI tones selection section. You do need to have ToneID checked in the audio mode you are using (discrimination, Mixed Mode, Stereo Mixed Mode) for the VDI tones to work. And then you run it, it's working. You turn the machine off, then back on, and the settings have gone back to default? Am I close?

If I'm close to understanding your statement, do the following test. Change the state of the Tone ID option, turn the machine off and then on, and see if the toneID option is the same as you had just set it to, or if it reset back to what it was. If the setting did not stick, I would give White's a call and explain what you're seeing.

As a note, when you switch programs, the settings may not be the same in the new program as the one you switched from. The detector should be saving the settings for each program that you modify. And when the machine is powered down, these settings for all programs that you changed should be stored. But a setting change in one program will NOT change the same setting option in another program. Just the one you are currently in.

thank you very much Ak 1234 this was very helpful to me, but when you restore it should come back to normal if we take program "coin and jewelry" it should have tone id checked. since last night i switched the detector off, next day i switched it on it looks like it is functions normally and tones are id ing target. i am sorry if i am confusing you but i hope it is nothing with the detector and it is just because i did not do something right.

The weird thing again when i just went to field for testing today when i was digging a target went off by its self. i turned it on on the same spot i was and turned off again by its self. i thought was battery and left but before i enter the car i tested again and battery meter was in middle. it didn't go off then. Was that some kind of overload? Thanks in advance FOR ANY HELP.

What meter was in the middle? I'm confused by this. There is no meter. What does it read in the middle?

when you switch on the detector there is a battery meter. and somewhere near the that spot is writing the volts. How ever i changed the battery and now its ok. thanks anyway.

OK, the voltage reading, I didn't know what you meant by half way. From your other post if you only got 7 volts after charging you need to get another battery. The battery should charge around 11.3V.

NO. Rob it is been charged to 11 something volts but it is been turned off at 7 something volts alone. after a couple of hours hunting.

If your battery is initially showing 11 volts, but after 2 hours drops down to 7 volts, sounds like you might have a battery issue. If you have TX boost running all the time, this can drive the battery down very quickly. But if running normal, it should not drop that fast. You should get close to 8 hours (8-10). Various other settings will have an effect on your battery life, but shouldn't be too far from 8 hours. Try a set of alkalines and see how long they last as a comparison.

It was never designed to run a 7v. This is normal to shut off at this voltage. Minimum voltage would be somewhere above 8v.

AK 1234 I was using alkaline the last three days and they lasted a lot more than the Nihm batteries. The detector it is brand new I only used the Nihm once, but I am going to try them once more at least cause I know I charged them untill they were ready since they were all night on charger, and one of the lambs was off, but I m going to give them another try. What do you think should I do if they are not, should i send them back?

Ak 1234 I tried the alkaline batteries anad they lasted three days a lot more than the Nihm. I just tried the Nihm just once by far now, and I m going to give them another chance. do you think i should send them back in or just live them and continue with alkaline s and just use the Nihm as much as they could go? Thanks.

It sounds like your batteries aren't getting fully charged. Could be not a good contact with the charger, or could be the batteries themselves. When putting them in the charger, make sure they are seated well. Wait until the green LED comes on before taking them out. That should take a couple hours when they're discharged. I don't remember how long - I just stick mine in, and use the other pack, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer. For some reason, 2 hours sticks in my head, but that might be something else. It's been a while since I've paid attention to the time it takes to charge. But, it sounds like the problem is not with the detector, but the batteries. Check the charger and make sure the contacts are up enough to be able to make good contact with your battery. You say it's new, so you shouldn't have crud on the contacts, but check your contacts to make sure they are clean too. So, yes, try them again, and then if they still drop voltage quickly, then it won't hurt to give White's a call. Service might have some other tricks to try that will save a trip in.

Also, what is your backlight setting set to? If it's all the way up at 20, you might want to drop it down to 2 (or off) and see if that helps for battery life.