Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New park hunt with a bizarre twist...

trojdor

CZconnoisseur and I have been waiting for rain...but it's not been co-operating.
So, we went on a couple of exploratory hunts in a new park to see if the coins were biting...

The park was chosen because it was relatively old, and it has water sprinklers...(Honestly, it was mostly because of the water sprinklers.)

Alas, the ground was barely dig-able...and by the time we were done, our arms, hands, and wrists were quite sore from the work.
The sprinklers had done their best, but it's just been too dry/hot/windy...unseasonably so. Unfortunately that affects the detecting depth, as well as the digging.

CZc scored a couple of rings (as well as coins) with the Deus. One was a really nice sterling toe ring.
I watched him get all excited over what looked like a heavy gold ring, but as he walked over and cleaned off the dirt, you could see the gold plating come off in places. Darn. :(

Silver didn't elude us, but we both had to fight hard for it. CZc scored a Rosy on the first half of the trip, and I scored a Merc on the other.

We were plagued in the new spot by the typical trash...bic lighter wheels, folded beaver tails, smashed foil. But we typically have to spend several trips, and a lot of time to remove that sub-surface garbage.
It's important to clean it out though, as it's surprising how frequently that junk masks a deep goodie! :)

We got down to what I feel was generally about the Great Depression era depth, and I was rewarded with some nice date wheat pennies:1909, 1917D, 1919S, 1928, 1932D, 2-1937D's, 1946D, 1955D.
Two moderately old nickels; 1940, 1958. And, of course, the 1939D mercury dime.
The Merc was part of a coin spill with the 1940 nickel and a 1937 penny. Old coin spills are fun... :)
Oh, and almost forgot...a crusty Colorado one fifth-cent series tax token in pretty bad shape.

Now for the Bizarre part;
Found a few other interesting odds and ends, then just before leaving, I started hitting sub-surface signals inches apart...all over the place. "How Bizarre", I thought.
Then I started digging them up. I quit when I had pulled 20 unfired .32 auto rounds from a 6x6 ft area...all from about 1-1/2" down!

I've been seriously detecting since 1973, and I've never dug an 'ammo spill' in a park before. Pretty sure it wasn't on my 'bucket list' either, but now I've done it, anyway!

When the weather is kinder to us, we'll (hopefully) be posting some older finds again, but it's always fun to get out and hunt with CZc..regardless of the finds. :)

HH,
mike

Yeah, a modern bullet spill would be a first for me as well. From the dates of your wheats and silver, appears you have a good spot to look forward to when some moisture comes your way. We are dry here, too. Good hunting and say hi to Taylor for me. HH jim tn

jim tn said:
Yeah, a modern bullet spill would be a first for me as well. From the dates of your wheats and silver, appears you have a good spot to look forward to when some moisture comes your way. We are dry here, too. Good hunting and say hi to Taylor for me. HH jim tn

Will do, Jim. :thumbup:
Take care,
:)
mike

Mike you were really hitting those bullets - its a good thing you didn't recover them with a screwdriver lol!

We are fortunate to have a semi-moist place to hunt, but that last half of last hunt was like digging in frozen ice cream :surrender:

Jim - If you ever get out this way let me know, and bring your F75 - I'm sure we can let slip a couple of deep Memorials for you :blowup:

When I look at the bullets the first thought for my is .... military german munition WOII from semi-automatic handgun ( for exemple from luger)

I say that because in my region in belgium it is not uncommon to find ammo.

In WOII It was a habit that United States soldiers took at the end of the war German souvenirs back home including smaller weapons with their ammunition
because at that time were these of the Germans real top quality.

Whitch letters and numbers on bottom bullets ????

mtc cocoon wim said:
Whitch letters and numbers on bottom bullets ????

mtc,
Those were Aguila (Mexican manufactured) .32 auto cartridges. Fairly common small handgun cartridge.
Also known in Europe as 7.65x17mmSR Browning or 7.65 mm Browning Short.

:)
mike