Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Sand Scoop

nolanation

Been using a TREX sand scoop, but will be giving this a try this week in Myrtle. Bought the shovel at Home Depot for $25 and drilled tons of 1/2" holes in it and cut to a more rounded shape. Lots lighter and much wider. Best of all its plastic, so no feedback from the detector and can actually scan the sand in the scoop before I sift or dump it. Just need a fiberglass handle. I plan on wedging the shaft into the scoop, then having a hole drilled all the way through both of them and using several heavy duty zip ties (don't want to use a screw) to hold it in place, unless someone has a better idea for what to use instead of a screw? HH.

I believe that cable ties will not hold the shaft and blade securely without some slippage.
I would use nylon bolts with nylon nuts such as those used on most coil/shaft connection.
Of course the holes you drill would have to have a snug fit to the bolt's diameter.
Great dry sand scoop!

Should work well on the dry sand but the wet sand will be difficult to dig with a plastic scoop. I use the T-Rex 9.5 for both. I use a Werner Ladder Tool Lasso on my belt for carrying that monster. Keeps the metal scoop far enough away from my detector coil that it does not cause interference. .

Let us know how Myrtle treats you. It is about a 3 hour drive up there for me and so far I have not ventured that far from home on a day trip.

i watched a youtube vid of some Aussie hunting a beach using a plastic scoop exactly like that only without any holes in it...he would dig and scatter the sand with his foot..fast and effective....Yes, I'd use those nylon bolts to give you what you want,...like what is used to hold a toilet down to the floor....make sure you take your backup scoop if this thing doesnt work in that particular strata...Everyone should make their own scoop just once to appreciate the engineering and effort that goes into their construction....then, that 150.00 doesnt sound so unreasonable for what is essentially a shovel! :rofl:...Nice job, Nolanation!:beers:
Mud

You and I are on the same wave-length Nolanation. My heavy SS bomb-proof scoop does an excellent job except that when I take a full scoop of sand under water, the lighter shallower targets (usually pull tabs) will roll off the top of the sand in the scoop and I have to do it again. I usually dig pull tabs because I've found a couple of rings that rang up like a pull tab. Anyways, I've been thinking a lot of making my own scoop that would work better for shallower targets. Let us know how she works and of any mods you have to make once you get some experience with it. Good job! Thanks for sharing.

Yes Togamac, I have had the same issue. This new scoop should grab quite a bit more sand, and it is stronger than it might look! Doubt Ill use it in the water, but definitely dry sand and wet sand. I got the inspiration for this shovel from this video as Mudpuppy had mentioned. I plan on using it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDuUZ8E6EQ&feature=youtu.be

I will update with my experience. Here is the finished product so far.

Like others, I was very impressed with that Australian detectorist (I forget his name) and he has made quite a few vid's beach detecting with a plastic scoop like yours.
He made it look very easy to use so I made a dry sand scoop out of a plastic shovel but because of the wide shovel area, it scooped up way too much sand in just one 'dig' and was too heavy to keep dragging it backwards away from the hole. You cannot lift it (too heavy with all that sand) so unless you have some muscle power, it won't work very effectively......at least it didn't work for me. Now if I was 21 with the muscles I used to have......no problemmo!!!!

I am 27 and still got most of my muscles ha. I plan on dragging mostly as well, but we will see. I have a new Garrett ATX that can be hard to retrieve targets at times so this might help.

Well Nolanation, you inspired me! I cobbed this beauty together today and took it to my favorite boater's hangout, a sand bar on a lake nearby. I wanted something that was wide and shallow; my Huge SS scoop goes deep through rock but I really don't need it for the stuff dropped on this sand bar.

It worked pretty good. Instead of digging with it like a shovel, you put one hand low and one hand high and pull it towards you through the top 2-3 inches of sand.
The pros:
1. It doesn't cloud up the water like you do when you're sloshing out a scoop full of sand. In fact, I usually have issues with the rods on my detector getting bound up with the silt - didn't happen today.
2. Worked real good on the shallow stuff.

The cons:
1. It's ugly. ( I put a bag over it during transport)
2. For a deep target, it took me about 8 sweeps. I did get the quarter tho!

HH, Mac

Nolanation,

Instead of a metal screw -- go to the hardware store in the plumbing section and get a nylon bolt used for a toilet seat. drill that puppy out and bolt together !! hopefully that works, looks like a lot of weight with all that sand. Best of luck !

That scoop might generate some attention... dont know if thats good or bad out there. In my area that would use more energy than say a Starvr scoop just because the mouth is so large im not sure you could get it into our hard pan or sand easily. In the water it just wouldnt be a time savor. As far as fiberglass handle... get a $10 yellow hoe and cut the end off to the size you want it. Then put a wooden dool inside and you are all set.

Dew

I can't speak for Myrtle Beach--but from experience on Hilton Head, Hunting Island, Tybee (low country)--the plastic will not work in wet sand--I tried it. Using a standard scoop--also a pita. The wet sand is like concrete and once you hit the watertable--it's like quick sand. I use a "Mud Shovel"--it's metal http://www.amazon.com/Nupla-72021-Shovel-Hollow-Handle/dp/B004UMK6IU . The set up works good--I drag the shovel behind me as my PI will sound 2-3 feet away from the metal.