Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New SE Lookin Good!

cabochris

Over the years I have tried most detectors. Excaliburs are my main water machines. I recently purchased an SE along with a Platypus coil. The SE is obviously a new ball game! I have only had time to test it in my yard, where known junk targets are buried. I have scanned my yard with nearly every machine from TOP vlfs to pulse detectors, and know my soil conditions are tough. I'm quite taken with how well the SE finds targets in my yard. It nails them as good as my best pulse detectors, yet accurately IDs them too! Plus I'm actually digging a few modern coins, where I know I have scanned with other machines several times before! I do not have an explanation for this, as the new coin finds are only 4-6" deep? I have been testing in All Metal, 0 iron mask, pitch hold, full screen digital and response sounds based on ferrous content. But the SE is sure lookin good! Can't wait to use in the field.

I only have 2 concerns. First the target tones of the SE seem to fluctuate based on sweep speed, target size, make-up, orientation and depth. That can be a bit confusing. But perhaps it is because I am mostly detecting junk targets- that bounce around more? The other is when wearing the included Koss UR headphones, things/tones sound quite a bit different than when not using headphones. That's OK except, I can only lower threshold so far, then it disappears completely. I feel when using headphones, the lowest heard threshold is a bit too loud. I would prefer the threshold a bit lower, but the next adjustment down makes threshold disappear! Perhaps I need headphones with a volume control? SE volume adjustment does not seem to affect threshold volume? Any thoughts?

But I will work around/with anything I do not like about SE, because I get a feeling and early indications, the SE just may be the best general purpose land machine I have ever tried, including DFX, MXT, 2500 and CZ 6a, CZ 70 Pro! I found that to be the case with my Excaliburs in the water, and I have tried nearly every water detector made, yet simply find the most with Excaliburs! So why not the SE on land? I expect great things from this machine! CC.

Sounds like you jumped pretty much straight into AM and ferrous like I did.

[quote cabochris]I only have 2 concerns. First the target tones of the SE seem to fluctuate based on sweep speed, target size, make-up, orientation and depth. That can be a bit confusing. But perhaps it is because I am mostly detecting junk targets- that bounce around more? The other is when wearing the included Koss UR headphones, things/tones sound quite a bit different than when not using headphones. That's OK except, I can only lower threshold so far, then it disappears completely. I feel when using headphones, the lowest heard threshold is a bit too loud. I would prefer the threshold a bit lower, but the next adjustment down makes threshold disappear! Perhaps I need headphones with a volume control? SE volume adjustment does not seem to affect threshold volume? Any thoughts?[/quote]

1) I'm pretty new at the SE too--2 months so far (and much of that snowed in) but I mainly notice the change in pitch of the target tones on iron. A non-iron target general gives me a relatively consistent pitch no matter what the sweep speed. (Though trash often is an arpeggio (successive series of tones).) But I can find what I think is a good signal and then slow it down to a crawl and it disappears and I start hearing the iron grunt more. So far at least that I'm aware, I haven't noticed the pitch change on a good target except for once (when it pretty much disappeared when I slowed down). I think it's going to take a good while to master this machine.

2) I tend not to like granular volume controls either--I seem to often want them to be halfway between clicks--but the only alternative to headphones with volume controls that I can think of is seeing if changing the threshold tone helps that for you. Say, for example, knock it down to 3 or 2. I'm going to pick up some other phones with separate volume controls soon myself but that's mainly because I have more hearing loss in my right ear than my left one.

well everybody seems to have at least something that they dont like about what ever machine they choose to use...and the SE is no exception however i do feel that you will like this machine better than anything you have tried in the past....i know i sure do as well as a few other folks on here as well.....good luck with it and post some good finds for us to drool over :cheers: