Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Sierra Super Track. (First hunt and impressions)

godigit1

I normally hunt with a G2 but was attracted to the SST by the all metal 7 tone aspect coupled with a VDI.
I love the simplicity and response of my G2 but have always wanted just a little more info and depth.
So the SST Caught my eye plus I have a great respect for Jimmy Sierra, His books and products helped me through the early days of getting started prospecting with my old GM3.
I can see the wisdom behind this design.

I was going to head to the beach for the first hunt but decided on a park that was familiar ground. Plus I could re hunt some areas I covered with the G2,

Here is the first three hour hunt with the new SST!
[attachment 263282 006420x315.jpg]
This was a get to know the machine dig all kind of hunt.

The Good stuff
[attachment 263283 007420x315.jpg]
52 Rosie and 48 wheat

The SST runs very smooth and stable at 9 on the gain and on deeper targets I was able to crank it up and even though a little choppy get more info, takes it to another level.
It is super simple to run. the silent search mode is just that its quite. you don't even know if you ground balanced or not. the only way i have noticed the tracking is when it has tracked out small foil.
That being said I would recommend hunting in lock once pumped a couple times over clean ground if you are micro jewelry hunting or shooting for nuggets. ( just use the tracking like a ground balance and lock it) .
I have only played with the salt mode a little indoors but was able to track out the nails in my hard wood floor and lock it in then it would still just hit my 1.2 gram nugget spaced between 6 inch nails.
That was impressive to me and a good sign for dealing with the high concentrates of black sand at the beach and still getting small rings.

The 7 tone audio is very accurate and much deeper than the VDI scale. I had a good repeatable high tone at the fringe of the VCO that would not hit in pin point but I know something was down there.
I was impressed at some of the smaller foil I dug at good depths. The one that got me most was a old gum wrapper at three inches that disintegrated when dug.
Of course the M6 VDI is very accurate but the 7 tone does a great job of picking up where it leaves off at depth.
The Modulation of the audio is perfect it has a Nice liner taper according to depth, much better than the G2 that in my opinion drops off way to quick.
I don't know just how deep it is yet but the 52 dime hit loud and clear at six inches with perfect VDI and I new it was silver right away before even bending down. The signal quality is there!!
First impressions are it is pretty deep right there with the MXT.
I need to take it some where the ground is not so hard at 7 or 8 inches this field turns to rock like clay.

Target separation and unmasking ability looks good The nail in the picture had about a half inch of its point covering the top half of a nickel. I wish I had my camera with me, I saved the dirt clod with the coin imprint and nail rust under a bush but forgot to pick it up when I left. Ill get it tomorrow when i walk my dog there in the morning and take a pic.

I have no doubt this machine is a very capable multi purpose machine with preference leaning toward relics then coin and jewelry.

For the price range it is in I would say its a could be a top competitor. Its runs so smooth and has nice tonal qualities its a simple yet effective pleasure to hunt with.

Thanks Jimmy S
and Treasure Hunters Headquarters
:cheers:
godigit

Thanks godigit1,

So glad to see a post from an SST user, The SST has been out a while now but only a couple of SST users have posted finds or first impressions.

And thanks for the tip with GB, ok best to GB then lock the ground balance otherwise the lower end (micro jewerly) conductive may hit on iron. That's how I ran my MXT, both are similar.

I ordered an SST from a dealer friend, will pick it up on my next day off in two weeks. Recently sold my MXT so can't compare them, but I did right down my MXT test results on paper so at least have something to compare the two.

Congrats with getting the SST, and you're right if it's a detector built for Jimmy Sierria then it's a winner.

Paul (Ca)

Well i went to the dealer to get a sst but got a m6 instead i think there both good machines, way to go HH Z

I still don't see the difference between the SST and just running the M6 in 0 disc.? Is it hotter or have better modulated audio? Thanks.

I don't have a M6 to run it head to head with but when I picked it up at the dealer we did a little playing both with a M6 and MXT. I used a small 1.2 gram nugget The Mxt in all metal had a slight edge but was not running 7 tone. The M6 was not as sensitive, at least in the indoor environment where we could not crank any of them up to max. The test needed to be better controlled we were just really looking a tonal quality. The SST seems to have a little crisper sound to it.
Plus next time I think all machines should be balanced in the same spot for a good comp.

I would say it is a slightly different circuit than the M6 maybe a little hotter because it has the gain of the MXT. And it has plenty of gain!!!! Running at the preset when you get a deep target and crank that gain up this thing it really punches down there. If your somewhere with no EMI and can crank it up to full and hunt I think this thing would kick for deep coins or relics.

This may sound weird but I can get deep repeatable signals that are deeper than the pin point will hit. Whats up with that?:stars:

HH