Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Simplex

Sataro

Simplex arrived this past week. Took it out to a new park area to try it out. Did not find any old coins. Did find a handful of coins, pennies, nickel, dime & quarter. Gave me a chance to start learning it’s different sounds. Park had a good amount of trash, so I did my part in cleaning out some of the trash. Very well built machine. Amazing how easy it is to figure out the menu system. A lot of machine for the money. Only drawback, is I wish a smaller coil was already out. Will definitely be adding smaller coil when they become available.

Glad to see you finally have a Simplex + in your hands. We have one park in the small town I live in, and I first hunted it back in ''75 when my brother lived here. It was quite an impressive producing place and had a history of use going back over 100 years at the time. I moved here four years ago and the park was very altered about 40 years ago. Most old trees were removed and most of the land was 'sculptured' to level it out, kind of, and put I a baseball field and such. I visually gridded off a center section and used my XLT, Anfibio Multi, Relic and ORX to search this area as best I could to try and find any older coins that were moved around and mixed in at a little deeper depth. All that was preparation for the arrival of my Simplex + as I wanted to have a cleaner area to work in to try and locate older and / or deeper coins.

Simplex + arrived and four days later I awoke to 5" of snow and it kept falling all day long. Stopped at 9½-10 inches. Three weeks later and it took a a lot of rain to help melt the snow and leave it muddy, and now a lot of the ground is frozen and difficult to hunt. But I did have a break a week or so ago and managed to pull 4 wheat-back cents along with some modern change. I used the 3-Tone Park mode now-and-then to check some of the signal before recovery, but since it is rather clean I prefer to hunt in 2-Tone audio and get better depth. I switch back-and-forth between Field and Beach mode, actually preferring the Non-VCO audio of Beach mode, but enjoy the depth-of-detection these two options give me. The deepest coins I've recovered so far from the park were in the 6" to 8+" depth range and the Simplex + w/11" DD is working very well.

But it is a wide-open grassy park and I am away from metal fences, metal playground structures, and a lot of discarded trash. I'm really looking forward to smaller coils for this device, but until then just crossing my fingers that it might warm up a little and with sunshine, in the next 3-4 days to let me get in one or more hunts before the frigid wintry weather returns.. I am really enjoying the Simplex + also, because once I am away from the annoying EMI I get here in my house or close to homes and businesses, it works really well and w/o much EMI behavior at all. I have all of the Disc. programs set at Full Sensitivity, and I use 0.0 Discrimination so I can hear ALL targets, ferrous and non-ferrous I keep the Iron Volume set at '1' bar in Field and Park modes, and I'm finding the 'simplicity' of this unit to be just fine with me. Not a lot to mess with, and the excellent button performance allows me to quickly change modes and double-check located targets to help learn it better.

Adding the Simplex + has also helped me in my decision-making to trim a few more models from my working Detector Outfit. The more I can get out and use it, the more I really enjoy it.:thumbup: Very impressive unit that I am sure you are also going to take a liking to as you put yours to work. I hope you have huntable weather this time of year to enjoy more detecting fun. Keep us posted on how things are going on your adventures with your new Simplex +.

Do you have a favorite mode yet, or personal-preference settings?

Monte

Thanks for the info Monte. I only hunted in the park mode yesterday. Looking forward to more time in the field with it. Love the simplicity if it. So easy to understand & use. Weather here in Texas is perfect for detecting right now. Today is our coolest day of the week. Supposed to hit a high of 58. The rest of the week our temperatures supposed to be in 60/70’s all week. Hoping to get back out in the next day or two...

I'm like you, I like the field mode. It goes deeper and I have noticed that when you sweep at a faster speed it gives you more depth also, like the Whites 6000. I have been digging the real deep items that have no Target ID. Sometimes it junk but other times its coins.Going to try Beach mode next time I go detecting.

Sounds like my next time out I will be using field mode to try out. Two tone sound is not bad either. It is closer to what I’m used to. I’m an old beep & dig user. Never got into all the different tone modes. I guess that is why I’m so used to my Tesoro’s. If it beeps, you dig...So field mode will be next to try out.

still my favorite audio function for the lower-trash and more open areas. And I have the option of the Filed mode's VCO-enhanced audio and the non-VCO Beach mode. Both get much better depth, and they will handle a little faster sweep speed. However, they don't work the same as the 6000 series from White's and, in some applications , you can sweep too fast. I just use a good comfortable sweep speed and am doing well.

On my Relic and Racer 2, as on the Kruzer and Anfibio Multi, I enjoy using both the 2-Tone (Di2) mode and the Deep mode, which is also a 2-Tone audio but works well with a somewhat slower sweep speed. In a test bed I did some sweep speed comparisons in all three Disc. modes with the Simplex +. When I swept over a US clad 50¢ piece, laying flat at the 6" to 7" distance from the coil, the difference in sweep speed needed or allowed, and when you got a better audio 'hit' was very apparent between the Park mode and Field mode. But on that particular test sample, the Beach mode sounded a little better and it seemed to hit a little better also when I swept it at the same minimum sweep needed in Field mode.

Perhaps it was due to not having to process any VCO audio, but on a few naturally located targets I was hunting in Field mode and checking in Park mode. Park lacked some of the depth Field mode could achieve, and on the deeper targets at 6" to 8"+ in Field mode that did okay, a little better audio response came when I increased the sweep speed a little. This was when I was evaluating the Simplex + the first few times and mainly just checking in Field and Park. But when I started using the Beach mode, I noticed on some of those deeper coin finds, the Beach mode seemed to do a little better than Field with a natural sweep speed where I was needing to increase the sweep in Field mode. Then, again, maybe I was just enjoying the more pure audio w/o VCO. It left me with a feeling that the Beach mode was almost behaving more like the Deep mode on the other models.

Anyway, I do most of my hunting with the standard 11" DD coil in Field or Beach mode to take advantage of the improved depth of detection. Both are the deeper Disc. modes, and I enjoy hearing a 2-Tone audio hunting the open grassy parks with less trash. I get the benefit of picking VCO or Non-VCO audio and I like having that option at a double-press of a button.:thumbup:

Monte

I got one coin sized target with simplex + from a 100% genuine minimum depth of 11 inches, full length of garrett pro pointer plus 2 inches so around 11 inches deep. No co located trash near the target though and reasonably good ground... The ground if bad with iron bits really can cut detection by as much as 80% with any detector my own tests have proved that. I think you need to dig all the iron out of a site to really "clear out" all the non ferrous.

Tedious, but absolutely the only way to 'get-it-all'.