Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New spot, new program & some super awesome finds. Silver & Relics baby! You gotta see this one

The Wolf

I took my buddy Mark to a new spot today that I just scored permission to hunt. It was the site of one of the last major engagements of the Civil War. I'm actually scouting out the area for a small group hunt I'm putting together for my digging buddies. The landowner couldn't have been cooler about letting us access the property. I've been playing around with some new program tweaks and think I've found a winner. We hunted only half the property for about 2 hours and that was all we needed to judge the quality and quantity of relics left in the ground. The first signal was a perfect, dropped.58 cal three-ringer at about 6 inches down. Then about 20 yards away I got a solid 70 signal. At around 7 inches popped out a beauty of a brass brooch or bridle rosette (haven't figured it out yet). Maybe 2 feet away from that I got a great solid 65 signal and knew it was something great. Again at about 6-7 inches down I saw a small silver coin staring at me. I gently picked it up an brushed the dirt away to reveal a 1851 3-cent Trimme in excellent condition!!!!!! Oh baby! What a rush. I finished off the day with an old quarter sized flat button. That was all we needed to know we had a great spot on our hands. Oh and we also found about 50 shotgun head-stamps. lol

I made a few slight changes to my go-to program and the signals seemed to jump out of the ground at great depths. I call the program 4T Relics (4 Tone). My settings for today:

8Khz (super relic freq)
Disc 7.0
4 Tones (0-7 @ 200, 7-40 @518, 40-60 @644, 60-99 @725)
Sens 93
TX 3
Iron Vol 1
Reactivity 0 (1 for moderate trash, 2 for heavy trash)
Silencer -1 (0 when using 1 REAC, 1 when using 2 REAC)
Audio Response 3
Notch 7-30 & 95-99
Ground Notch 84-90
Ground Balance -Tracking (this was the one major factors I changed that significantly changed the amount of false signals, I could definatley tell when it was a good target)

Thanks for looking, Hope this info helps. Happy Hunting.I LOVE THE DEUS!!!

More pics. I can't believe the woods were so clear this time of year. If anyone can id the rosette piece that would be awesome.

And a final pic of everything cleaned up. Man I like this 3 cent piece.

Man, what a hunt! That 3 cent piece is phenomenal; I've never seen one in that shape. Congratulations all the way around, from a great place to hunt to dialing in the Deus. I confess to being surprised that tracking did so well for you, but I guess my trashy parks throw it off, plus I'm probably guilty of sweeping targets too many times, also throwing it off. Can hardly wait to see the goodies from the next time out. Congrats again!
Rich

Very nice! My buddy and I have permission to hunt an old 1810 stone house yard. We're hoping to get out there today. I have hunted a few last year and it was best colonial copper and large cent year yet.

I've been trying the Tracking Ground Balance Mode and it seems to work very well at quieting the machine down and hitting hard on good targets.

samandnoah said:
Man, what a hunt! That 3 cent piece is phenomenal; I've never seen one in that shape. Congratulations all the way around, from a great place to hunt to dialing in the Deus. I confess to being surprised that tracking did so well for you, but I guess my trashy parks throw it off, plus I'm probably guilty of sweeping targets too many times, also throwing it off. Can hardly wait to see the goodies from the next time out. Congrats again!
Rich

Hey Rich, I totally agree.Tracking is not something I would use in my trashy spots. I noticed that if i accidentally got the coil too close to my shovel, or swept the coil over a pop can too many times it would throw off the GB for a few seconds until it re-adapted to the natural ground. I could imagine this would be terrible in trashy parks. The tracking method also gives me the ability to judge easily and quickly how much the ground is changing, so if I keep an eye on the numbers while I'm hunting, I'll have a good idea of where to set it on manual GB if I hit a trashy spot. I think the 8Khz really works for me in my clean, hunted out spots in the woods, searching for the deep, sporadic targets. And then I have the awesome 4Khz program that CZ, Jim, and everyone had posted about alongside it. It makes for a great match in the field. Thanks and HH!

DukeOBass said:
Very nice! My buddy and I have permission to hunt an old 1810 stone house yard. We're hoping to get out there today. I have hunted a few last year and it was best colonial copper and large cent year yet.

I've been trying the Tracking Ground Balance Mode and it seems to work very well at quieting the machine down and hitting hard on good targets.

That's exactly what I've noticed as well. It totally eliminates the false ground signals and really makes the good targets scream. I've dug a few large holes looking for a good faint signal only to realize the Deus was reacting to the ground and not a target. The machine seems very sensitive to the slightest change in GB values. I know if you want a fixed GB, then you can dial in a bit more depth by decreasing the number a few, or get a quieter machine by adding a few. Thanks!

Got it. Thanks for the feedback on when and how GB tracking works well for you. It really is about understanding the right settings for the right environment -- I just need to get to the right environment! ;) Seriously, this is a great reminder to think about what "I know" when I do get to hunt places different than my usual places. Now go get yourself some more!
Rich

Very true.

4kHz eliminates a lot of questionable trash targets.

Congrats on some Terrific finds!

And thank you for sharing your program...your post is an inspiration for us all!

Joe (California)

Wow!

Super neat finds!

Congrats!
Paul (Ca)

Fantastic finds! You've got a great site there - I think your program is spot-on for the type of hunting you do at that site...keep the pics and finds coming!

The Wolf said:
I took my buddy Mark to a new spot today that I just scored permission to hunt. It was the site of one of the last major engagements of the Civil War. I'm actually scouting out the area for a small group hunt I'm putting together for my digging buddies. The landowner couldn't have been cooler about letting us access the property. I've been playing around with some new program tweaks and think I've found a winner. We hunted only half the property for about 2 hours and that was all we needed to judge the quality and quantity of relics left in the ground. The first signal was a perfect, dropped.58 cal three-ringer at about 6 inches down. Then about 20 yards away I got a solid 70 signal. At around 7 inches popped out a beauty of a brass brooch or bridle rosette (haven't figured it out yet). Maybe 2 feet away from that I got a great solid 65 signal and knew it was something great. Again at about 6-7 inches down I saw a small silver coin staring at me. I gently picked it up an brushed the dirt away to reveal a 1851 3-cent Trimme in excellent condition!!!!!! Oh baby! What a rush. I finished off the day with an old quarter sized flat button. That was all we needed to know we had a great spot on our hands. Oh and we also found about 50 shotgun head-stamps. lol

I made a few slight changes to my go-to program and the signals seemed to jump out of the ground at great depths. I call the program 4T Relics (4 Tone). My settings for today:

8Khz (super relic freq)
Disc 7.0
4 Tones (0-7 @ 200, 7-40 @518, 40-60 @644, 60-99 @725)
Sens 93
TX 3
Iron Vol 1
Reactivity 0 (1 for moderate trash, 2 for heavy trash)
Silencer -1 (0 when using 1 REAC, 1 when using 2 REAC)
Audio Response 3
Notch 7-30 & 95-99
Ground Notch 84-90
Ground Balance -Tracking (this was the one major factors I changed that significantly changed the amount of false signals, I could definatley tell when it was a good target)

Thanks for looking, Hope this info helps. Happy Hunting.I LOVE THE DEUS!!!
Hi Wolf! This is Stone Phoenix from another forum. Hey bud I'm hunting cane fields that are littered with old iron. Tons and tons of iron. I can't seem to stabilize my deus in this environment. I spend what I believe is to much time adjusting my deus. Any ideas from your prospective? I also am wondering if setting the ground rejection at the 85 and lower if I'll miss good targets that are in that rejection zone or if this feature is a separate process from the actual GB?
I appreciate the info and advice.
Great finds man!
Coil to the Soil

Kronos said:
Hi Wolf! This is Stone Phoenix from another forum. Hey bud I'm hunting cane fields that are littered with old iron. Tons and tons of iron. I can't seem to stabilize my deus in this environment. I spend what I believe is to much time adjusting my deus. Any ideas from your prospective? I also am wondering if setting the ground rejection at the 85 and lower if I'll miss good targets that are in that rejection zone or if this feature is a separate process from the actual GB?
I appreciate the info and advice.
Great finds man!
Coil to the Soil

Hey,
The first thing I am wondering is how much EMI is present at the fields?

If the fields have that much iron, first and foremost I would suggest a manual GB over tracking. Find a good clean spot, set it to pumping, and pump it a few rimes to get a good number. Then watch the GB numbers as they change while you hunt and walk around. Then set it to manual and try to find a good average between those numbers. The GB notch feature is great for keeping the machine quiet from coil bumps, especially for the amount of cane stubble that you probably have in the fields. Also the GB notch at 85-99 will only notch the ground and not signals that fall in that range.

To eliminate some of the large iron, set your regular discrimination notch to 96-99. This will help with those pesky pieces of iron that sound really great, and you will still be able to hear the large silver coins and all that may fall around this range. I would use a higher disc setting of maybe 10 or so, and an iron audio on 1 so you can just barely hear the iron. Play around with your lower notch scale and tone breaks to suit your style. Remember if you set you disc at 10, low tone break at 10, and notch from 1-10, you wont hear the iron at all (which I think is a bad thing). The key is to find the good targets between the iron grunts. This will also help you with false signals from iron. Try this:

8 or 12 Khz
Reac 2
Silencer 0
Sens 87
TX 2
Disc 10
Notch 7-20 & 96-99
Audio Resp 2 or 3 (preference)
Iron Audio 1
Manual GB after pumping and watching the scale for a bit
Ground notch 85-99
moderate to slow swing speed through the iron grunts listening for the high tones.

Also I would probably use mostly the tones to justify whether or not to dig a target, and not the VDI. The amount of iron may throw the numbers off. Try this and let us know. You may need to adjust the Reac setting to 3, but I seem to like it at 2 paired with the Silencer at 0 for most scenarios. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!