Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to AT Pro......HELP

ML

I just picked one up for the dirt and got a great deal from a local dealer. First issue (and kinda expected) was connecting the coil cable to the control box. One ofthe female connector openings on the box was pinched shut so I used a pin to pry it open. No problem, now actually seating it took awhile, with the wife holding a flashlight. It didn't appear to go in too far but I was able to hand tighten it about 1/8 of a turn. The unit turned on, so I guess it's in far enough. The headphones took less time, but again it wasn't easy, especially with my eyesight. Did someone at Garrett actually think this was a user friendly design? (ha ha). Took in the backyard, and put it mainly in standard coin mode and ground balanced it. I swung over my test garden quarter at 8" but had several different responses. For about every 20 passes over it, about 15 were a high tone, only 2 or 3 were a bell tone, and on a few it did not make any noise at all. The numbers ranged from 49 to 61 when the received tone was high, but jumped to the what I was expecting 85 or so only when it gave me the bell tone. I tried this a number of times with basically the same results. I was anticipating a bell tone and high 80's number consistently on a quarter. I then put my wedding band on top of the ground and was surprised that the unit didn't sound off at all on the majority of my passes over it. I turned the unit on and off a few times and repeated this test with the same results. This can't be normal, can it? I tried the pro mode but was clueless as to what it was telling me. I've got many more hours to go before that challenge. I have been watching the AT Pro videos for the past few weeks to help prepare, and I'm wondering if the unit sounds like it is working ok. It's a 510 series serial number and it does not false at all when you shake it. Maybe my Minelab/Whites trained ears are protesting this switch, but I just wanted a new toy. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

Well, couple of things. Whats in the garden and how deep. How old is it? Sound like the ground balance could be off.. Did you auto or manual GB. What was the sensitivity? Iron Disc setting_? Iron audio?

I dont think I am getting enough info...

good luck

lasergod - I was thinking I didn't provide nearly enough info, except that the quarter was buried at about 7or 8 inches a year ago, and the gold wedding band was on top of the grass. I manual ground balanced (at least I think I did). I'm sure I screwed something up. I'll get back out there tomorrow afternoon and report again. Thanks

Re-read the manual and watch any videos in areas which you don't quite understand. Although the AT pro is somewhat easy to learn, to someone new it can be downright confusing. And do ask more questions if need be, :)

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_videos.aspx

John - Thanks, I bookmarked those videos the last time you provided that site. I will be posting as I go, even if I pull the few remaining hairs out of my head as I learn - ha ha.

sounds to me like your coil connection at the control unit is not done up enough . Its new so you have to sort of wiggle the connection as you tighten it and it will use up most of the thread, way more than 1/8 of a turn. Try this it may fix your problem

You know. I would try it again in std mode, I sometimes hunt with iron disc all the way up! you should have hit it ok. If its a newer garden it may be a little early to compare to an older burried coin. I would just regain the factory settings and give it another go. Check the connections again. When its working... They do a good job.
Let us know!

Wiggle the connector and make sure it seats all the way in. Very easy for the rubber o-ring to get pinched on the outside and could cause the connector to not screw all the way up like it should.

Wish You Luck, Chuck

ML,
If things aren't right I would contact your dealer or Garrett. Make sure your connection is in all the way. After you try it again today call me if you have any questions. Maybe I can help you out a bit.

Thanks everyone. I just checked it and hand tightened it again and I'm sure it connected correctly. Now I just have to try to get out there and retrain my Sov/Excal mindset. It should be fun. I'll check back after puting a few hours in.

I got back out in the yard this twice this morning between house chores for a short time. I auto ground balanced (ground read 80-81) and used Standard zero. I figured the reason that I couldn't hit the wedding band yesterday was because the Standard coin was notching it out, and I guess I was right because it would now sound off. I tried both Standard and Pro zero just to listen to the sounds. I dug a few solid hits in each of those modes that read 8" but couldn't locate the target. I wandered back over to my 7-8" test quarter and would get a good signal, but the numbers would again read between 49 and the mid 50's (in either mode). I'm guessing that the target depth was too great to read accurate. Then something odd happened. I swung over my test quarter in Pro zero again and the unit went haywire. I raised the coil 3 feet off the ground and it keep sounding off with the numbers jumping all over the scale. This lasted about 15 seconds and I turned it off. When I turned it back on it seemed to be ok. Has anyone else had this problem?

I took it out for a spin last night for about an hour to a local school that I hunt for clad. The unit did not go haywire during this hunt. I set it in Standard coin and was just gonna dig the belltones. Auto ground balanced (80) and played with the sensitivity between max and a few bars down. I popped up a few dimes and pennies that gave the belltone consistantly. I say consistantly because as I walked, every 2nd or 3rd swing would produce a quick one time beltone that would either completely dissapear or become a mid tone when I passed over the target again. I try to not look at the numbers but when I did, that quick single belltone swing would read in the 70's or 80's but when I passed over it again the numbers would jump all over the chart. Should I set my sensitivity lower? FYI - I'm not a newbie, I've been detecting for over 40 years, but clearly I am lost (as if you couldn't tell - ha ha). I'll be back out there today. Thanks for the help.