Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to detecting

ncase63

Hello everyone, I have purchased a infinium ls and had a go at local beach in AUS finding the usual bottle tops and a couple of coins.The machine come with a DD14" coil and from what I am reading , it seems I need a 8" mono to use for gold detecting. any info would be appreciated.
Thank you Neil

The 10 x 14 DD will find gold but is not so flash on the small nuggs below 1g.
The 8 inch mono is a nice coil and works well in the gold fields. You should be able to detect down to 0.5g nuggs.
The 10 x 14 mono is a beaut coil for gold work or anywhere else for that matter.
The small DDs will generally not detect smaller gold than the large coils but the tones will be sharper and the coils can be nudged into tight places between the rocks and Bed Rock crevises.
A very slow sweep speed is needed (approx 1 to 1.5 feet per sec) in order to detect tiny nuggs or deep weak signals.

At the beach you will normally have to dial in a bit of disc to cancell responce to salt and on occasions in the gold fields as well.
If you cannot get a good ground balance at the beach then that is when a bit of disc can solve the problem. No more than setting 3 should be enough without loosing much sensitivity to small gold and coins.

Do the Frequency adjust first with mode in Lock.
Do the Ground balance with Disc at zero and tracking in lock.

Whenever you Ground balance be sure that the Disc is set to zero

Whenever you do a Frequency Adjust make sure the mode in in Lock.

Just to correct an error in my previous post.
Ground balance in fast or slow track. :ausflag::blush:
When GB has been achieved return the mode to Lock or leave in fast or slow track if mineralisation is variable.:

Always interested in any tips you pass on there Ghost. You have been one of about 4 whose been of a great help.

Thank you ghost, I have now purchased a 8" mono coil and will setup machine with the information you have written.
Going out to the Vic goldfields at end of month to try out.