Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to Deus - some help please

glabelle

I just received mine. I turned it on so everything is in default. GB=90. I'm in Oregon, our soil is moderate/highly mineralised.

My test box has sand in it that mimics closely our ground. When I go to pinpoint, I get a positive signal when I lower the detector to the ground.

I tried "Pumping", and got a ground reading of 87. However, I still get a positive when lowering the detector to the ground. So, I ran manual GB from 60 all the way to 95.

Still get a positive from the ground, no matter whether it is 60 or 95. How do you ground balance this machine?

Thanks,
George

Pinpointing is a different beast than standard detecting. When you lower it to the ground, are you going directly over the target area, or off to the side? How far off to the side, and you're pretty certain there are no other targets there? Based on your tenure here, you are clearly quite experienced, and do not mean to insult your experience or intelligence, but want to make sure that we've got the basics covered.

If you're off to the side and not over a target, press the pinpoint button again and see if that eliminates the positive, and that your test bed targets still sound off. I also suggest that you get Andy Sabisch's XP Deus Handbook, which has a wealth of information in it. There is quite a bit about pinpointing in there, and I'll be honest, we haven't had many threads on here about PP. I myself don't use the first PP screen that comes up (there are 4 different PP options I believe), but use the Non-motion audio disc PP screen. To toggle through them, you press the PP button once to get to the standard PP screen, then cycle through the options by pressing the upper most left button.

Good luck and keep asking!
Thanks,
Rich

Gotcha Rich. Yes, I did everything "right".
I was just playing with it again and noticed a strange phenomena.
If I put GB on tracking, and let the machine settle while pumping/swinging over barren ground, it settles to ~85.
THEN, if I go to manual GB and set it to 85, it seems very close to ground balance, as I would expect it - near zero change when approaching the ground in PP.

However, if I turn the machine off, then on again, Setting the GB manually to the same place gives a solid positive in PP!?!?

Don't understand that.

I can work with it, the behavior is strange though ;-)

I must say, Tracking seems to work pretty well. I can swing over a deep target without losing it and with seemingly no loss of depth after several swings. I may not have to worry about manually balancing all the time.

George

Dumb question but I will ask anyway...when you power up the Deus did you hold it horizontally about 1 yard off the ground? If so, then try this...

When it comes on, hit the "Menu" button and notice the numbers in the upper right display. Start sweeping the ground (the cleaner the ground the better) and notice the numbers - this is the "realtime GB reading" that Deus is seeing while you sweep. After about 4-5 sweeps, take an average value and this should be very close to your GB setting. GB Tracking does this without the need of going into the "menu", but you can get an almost instant GB reading this way without having to wait for the software to catch up while in tracking mode.

Just a thought...let us know if it works!

I've never once hit the PP button on my detector - have never seen a use for it - but to each their own!!!

After you enter your GB number, lower to ground and hit the pinpoint button again to retune.

chb177 said:
After you enter your GB number, lower to ground and hit the pinpoint button again to retune.

If the ground balance is correct, no retuning should be necessary. Retuning adjusts sensitivity, and is "cheating". When I push pinpoint (non-motion, all metal) and lower the coil to the ground, there should be no change in threshold. That's the definition of being ground balanced.

Another thing, the manual doesn't explain. How can you adjust the ground balance manually, checking the ground as you do it. With any other detector, you raise the coil, change the GB, then lower it, continuously to see if you've found the GB point correctly. With the Deus, I can change the GB number, but have found no way to check it immediately without returning to search, pushing PP, then checking. That is pretty inefficent. Anyone know a way to quickly, manually GB???

George

When you press PP, you should have your coil on the ground over a clean area.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my question.
I don't know how many of you have owned other detectors. With all other detectors on the market, the machine is put into an all-metal, no motion mode (same as pinpoint).

Then by whatever control is available, the balance is moved up and down until raising the coil and putting it on the ground makes no difference in the strength of the tone. When it is not balanced, the ground could give a negative response or a positive response, depending upon which direction the GB is set with respect to the actual ground. When there is no difference between raised and lowered, it is then ground balanced.

How does one do this with the Deus?

The manual says to push GB, adjust with +/-, Exit!? How do you know where to leave the GB, when in this mode it does not respond to the ground at all? Or do you have to set the machine in the non-motion mode first for this technique to work. If so, the directions are misleading.

Thanks,
George P.S. I did order Any's book and it should arrive shortly (cannot be too soon ;-)

I think I know what you're referring to. With my White's machines, I pulled the trigger to put it in to all metal mode and lowered the coil to the ground to check ground balance. If it's balanced there'll be no sound when the coils goes from being raised to fully lowered. If there is a sound, then the detector is either positively or negatively balanced. It seems you're asking how to do this with the Deus? I don't know that you can, but I also don't know that you can't either. With the Deus, you check ground mineralization and either manually set the GB or pump or track to set...then you know it's balanced. I don't think pressing the pinpoint button on the Deus and lowering the coil will work like other detectors.

George --

There are 4 different pinpoint modes. When you press it the pinpoint button, you get the square which helps you center over the target. I believe this mode inherits the GB from the program you were in. I actually hate this PP mode. BUT, when you are in this PP mode, press the top left-most button ONCE. You will be in Disc non-motion mode (it inherits whatever Disc level you set in the program you're coming from). You then use the top middle selection button to scroll three options: Tune, GB, and Sensitivity. Move it to GB. On the left it will show the last GB you had, but you can adjust/change the GB up/down with the usual middle row of keys. You can then set the GB by moving the coil to/from the ground. I know because I JUST tried this an hour ago in order to respond to your post. :)

So now you should have no noise/threshold. You can adjust your sensitivity, and then adjust "tune" (weird name, I know) up a few numbers until you do get a low threshold type sound. NOW try to pinpoint. Many folks don't use the PP, but I hunt some really trashy parks with multiple targets under the coil, and this will help you separate them. It will also give you a bit of a background iron buzz if you have deep iron, but still sound off with a good target when you pass over it. So I love using this pinpoint mode.

If you're still having issues, or my directions weren't clear, send me a PM and I'll message you back with my cell phone number and I can try to help talk you through it.
Regards,
Rich

samandnoah said:
George --

There are 4 different pinpoint modes. When you press it the pinpoint button, you get the square which helps you center over the target. I believe this mode inherits the GB from the program you were in. I actually hate this PP mode. BUT, when you are in this PP mode, press the top left-most button ONCE. You will be in Disc non-motion mode (it inherits whatever Disc level you set in the program you're coming from). You then use the top middle selection button to scroll three options: Tune, GB, and Sensitivity. Move it to GB. On the left it will show the last GB you had, but you can adjust/change the GB up/down with the usual middle row of keys. You can then set the GB by moving the coil to/from the ground. I know because I JUST tried this an hour ago in order to respond to your post. :)

So now you should have no noise/threshold. You can adjust your sensitivity, and then adjust "tune" (weird name, I know) up a few numbers until you do get a low threshold type sound. NOW try to pinpoint. Many folks don't use the PP, but I hunt some really trashy parks with multiple targets under the coil, and this will help you separate them. It will also give you a bit of a background iron buzz if you have deep iron, but still sound off with a good target when you pass over it. So I love using this pinpoint mode.

If you're still having issues, or my directions weren't clear, send me a PM and I'll message you back with my cell phone number and I can try to help talk you through it.
Regards,
Rich

Eureka! I think you found it. I wonder why this method is not in the manual. Their directions don't make any sense at all. I'll try this.

Thanks!
George

I assumed you had already ground balanced the pinpoint in one of the other pinpoint modes. In which case the retune is not cheating but just resetting over a clean area. Glad you got it sorted out.

If you are new to the Xp DUES i highly suggest using the tracking mode till you get a handle on it. More user friendly.

Bart, eventually I would want to manually adjust GB in order that tracking does not tune out a weak target.

Do you know how to do it?

The manual's description gives no way to check the ground while changing the setting.

Thanks,
George

If you sweep your sand box, do you get a tone.

I suspect you may have a small target in your sandbox. or a small hotrock?

Hey George, are you talking about doing something different than using the "pumping" mode in the GB settings?
If you're talking about truly manually setting it "by ear", then this link has a written description of doing just that. It's effectively what I did when in that particular PP mode as well.

[ARRGGGHHH. The link does not appear to want to work since it is an external link. My bad. PM me.]

That site has some very good info overall, though some info contradicts conventional wisdom (and Andy's book). But some good info worth checking out and testing for yourself.

Rich

Just choose MANUAL under Ground Balance and sweep your coil until the number changes. You then have to take your ground balance down to 1 or 2 numbers above or below the number shown, by using the + and - buttons,, depending on your detecting preference. You must then pay attention to the machine and make adjustments manually if the ground conditions under your coil change. For place I detect I'm usually constantly making adjustments.

Set the sens to max 99, set geb very low, then while pumping on clean ground click geb up to the point the falsing stops and add a 2 or 3 more clicks. (my local ground in uk is about 76)

Back the sens to required value..