Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new to hobby found these first time out what are they lol...

I agree it looks like silicon metal, but since that doesn't occur naturally, I wonder what a chunk of the stuff would be doing out where someone might find it beeping? Probably something else entirely.

In any case, we're just looking at a photo, and up close with the naked eyeball it might look quite different, the sheen can throw photo appearance off due to lighting.

In other threads there's a black rock that sticks to a magnet. Probably magnetite.

The mostly white rock with what appears to be a veneer of sulfide ore that's also attracted to a magnet, I'm guessing that it's quartz with magnetite inclusions.

A geologist or savvy rockhounder should be able to identify all of these, except that sometimes it's hard to tell a lump of magnetite from a meteorite. As someone else pointed out, a lump of slag with fused surface may also mimic a meteorite and require a meteorite expert to positively identify. ......Generally speaking, any place there's slag, there's lots of it, so if you're finding known slag, anything that looks like a meteorite is actually gonna be slag.

--Dave J.

What is it?

It is "pretty"!

I would keep it around on display.