Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to me safari on the way

Texan

Just bought me a safari. been detecting for over 20 years but never used a minelab. Any advise would be appreciated.

Take a deep breath. The symphony of sound is going to drive you batcrazy for a while. But there is a fantastic abundance of information in all that sound that you will come to love if you tuff it out. I have seen more than one person prematurely sell his FBS machine because he couldn't (wouldn't?) make the transition from another machine. Despite my telling him that he was going to have a learning curve and begging him to stay with it for 50hours, 1 friend sold his ML and went back to the machine he was comfortable with (and make no mistake, he was Good with that machine).

Get Andy Sabisch's Safari book, of course. As a longtime detectorist, you may not get a lot from it, but you will glean a few nuggets and a-Ha items.

It took me about 50 hours on my Safari (my first fbs) before something went clik in my brain and my finds went way up and my trash went way down. This despite my having every advantage that the internet said was good for learning a FBS machine (musical experience, decades of detecting, intelligence, good hearing, etc).

Run Auto+3 until you get a feel for the machine; then force manual for whatever you can.
Cross Save and discriminate out the negative #s.
If you are going crazy, black out everything below about 38(depends on your soil) and 12,13,14(nickels). 15, even a jumpy 14-15 is a pulltab. period. Gold rings seem to be 3,6,9 and then from nickels on up depending on alloy.

The biggest thing is Trust Your Machine. Remember, the Safari is making that strange noise for a reason and its your part of the job to figure out why.

Welcome to the FBS Club. Youre gonna love it.

Got the safari in. Read Andy's book and discovered it is the best detector since sliced bread. If it would just cool down in Texas I am ready to use it.

Texan said:
Got the safari in. Read Andy's book and discovered it is the best detector since sliced bread. If it would just cool down in Texas I am ready to use it.

Best deal going,congrats

lol I traded for an etrac as well. hot here to detect most areas because may leave brown spot. Cant wait to put these to use.

Hey Champ, are you using the stock coil or something different? I have always notched out 9 but if you are hitting gold at that number then it is time for me to change...

Stock coil, air test on small engagement rings for the 3,6,9. I forget what k they were but there was no rhyme or reason that ii could tell for the variation. iirc, there isn't all that much trash that shows up at 9 anyway.

Go slow. i cannot emphasize this enough, especially if you hear it nulling out, your in heavy trash. Go by tones first, then ID , but with safari tone is the key. I dug a silver 44 quarter last week with a large nail. I got a really high tone even though ID was 31 which is low. Key was the tone , i got the sweet tone so i did not care about the 31 and got Silver! If it sounds good Dig it.