Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to O8, now what?

I have close to 6 years in MD and I just bought the O8, I think it is a great machine due to the bench tests I did yesterday in my house. I was amazed that in the air the constant numbers don't seem to change at all even putting the coin on edge. Also the quick response and that it sounds with iron mixed good targets. I think I will love it. Also the Depth is great. However, I don't know which setting to use? I was planning to use all metal just to get used. What do you think guys?

terry-cola said:
I think it is a great machine due to the bench tests I did yesterday in my house. I was amazed that in the air the constant numbers don't seem to change at all even putting the coin on edge. Also the quick response and that it sounds with iron mixed good targets. I think I will love it. Also the Depth is great.
With 6 years in I think you'll find the Omega will grow on you with performance afield. yes, it does do well with Target ID and even some edged or angled coins, sometimes, but in the ground things are going to still call for some operator interpretation if they are not very flattish. Also, it can work okay in and amongst iron trash, but all detector will have some challenges, and iron can mask a good target even if by simply causing an altered audio Tone ID or out-of-sync VDI number or TID.

terry-cola said:
However, I don't know which setting to use? I was planning to use all metal just to get used. What do you think guys?
Yes, you can use the All Metal mode to learn the All Metal mode and get the Threshold setting right and the Ground Balance and such, but I wouldn't use it in a very trashy or challenging site.

I think you'll benefit by using the Discriminate mode, but take advantage of the audio Tone ID choices and variable Discrimination. Personally, unless a site is terribly littered with trash, I like to set my Disc. level at '1' so that I am basically in an All Metal Accept function, then I mainly rely on the d2 Audio Tone ID. That gives a low, bassy tone to most iron targets and non-ferrous objects produce a standard audio with a VCO component (usually heard more with shallower targets). If you like multi-tone then my favorite if d4. If you don't care to hear an iron audio response you can turn the iron Audio OFF by selecting d1.

Best of success when you get out hunting.

Monte

I went yesterday to try it and I tried to use all metal but the detector is really sensitive and it was sounding everywhere, so I decided to put disc. at 40 as Monte said in one of his posts and I started recovering nice targets. I 'm still in the learning process and I don't even now in which tone I was working but Iron was sounding as a bass tone, pull tabs a mid tone, and high conductivity coins a high tone. Anyways I ended up tripling my recent coin finds. The last two recent hunts I was using my compadre and found 2 watches,and 5 coins plus 2 celulars. Yesterday with the O8 I found 11 coins some really old Mexican coins, 2 watches and 7 celulars. The difference, I guess, with other detectors I have used is that the O8 seems not to be masked at all by iron. Another thing I like is that it sounds like crazy when there is something big in the surface or within 2 inches of soil, for example a crushed alluminum can or a big piece of alluminum foil. I also got surprised at the end of my outing, it was now dark and I was swinging the detector in the way back to my house when I got a big signal in the middle of the road. It was a quarter reading of 82. and I scanned the signal for size and it was small, so for me it was a coin, but I know that it could be also a big crushed alluminum can way down there. So I made a big hole aprox with my pick of 6 x 6 inches and the sound was still there, so now I thought I had a can really deep, and I was going to quit. But I decided to dig it since I'm in the learning process, so I dropped close to 4 hard drops of my pick and removed the dirt from the hole. I did not have a flash light but I had the centech pinpointer which has a light, I started looking for the big can in the dirt and there was nothing, nor in the hole either. So now I started looking fot the qtr more closely with the pinpointer. And there it was, not a qtr but a memorial cent all with green patina dated 1967 and I know it was at least 7 inches deep and it sounded hard, even to make me believe it was an alluminum can. Thanks a lot for your help to all of us Monte and to all others that also help the new members. The O8 is now my main machine.