Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to the explorer family

jjaddict

I had been wanting to get an explorer II for a while now, finally nutted up and bought one. So far I have been out for a couple short hunts, and I'm loving it. Found a couple wheaties, but no silver yet.

I do have a couple questions, what settings should start out with? I already have a pretty good feel for the sounds, and shallow coin hits are very distinct....have watched lots and lots o utube vids so the sounds came pretty easy.

When listening for deeper coin hits, I've been digging deep square nails. Do deep coins sound off similar? I could narrow in on a pretty good tight signal, nice high tones, and some of the signals I could "quarter turn" on, but would usually be broken up a little. Should I be passing up these kinds of signals that I really have to work at to make them sound good, and stick to signals that are solid from most angles?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Adam -- many nails DO sound alot like coins, but the key is, it's USUALLY only from certain quadrants around the "circle" as you rotate around the target. Bent, rusty nails can sometimes sound good all the way around, but for a straight nail, if it sounds good from zero degrees, turn to 90 degrees and see if it "breaks up." If so, keep going around to 180 degrees and see if it returns, and sounds "good" again. Finally, turn around to 270 degrees...if it breaks up again, that, to me, is the classic "straight, un-bent nail" response -- sounds real good at 0 and 180 degrees, and either crappy or even a null at 90 and 270 (depending upon what disc. pattern you are running).

For deep coins, you may eventually need to branch out, and dig targets whose CO number is good, but FE number is higher than normal. If using the smartfind screen instead of the numbers, then this would translate into coins hitting "farther left" on the screen than normal, but just as high up, and also you'll see the classic "bounce" as the cursor flutters leftward (and maybe slightly upward) as you "wiggle" the target. This is very typical on the deep coins (FE numbers that bounce higher than normal, or -- in smartfind screen language, the "cursor flutter."

Anyway, for now, focus on the good, repeatable hits, while hunting in the stock coin mode -- and don't branch out, into new settings or more "iffy targets," until you feel comforable with the Explorer's behavior and language (otherwise, you'll dig a ton of trash, and may get frustrated...)

Steve

Steve

TY for the reply Steve!
What you have said perfectly describes what I have experienced so far in the field. I don't think that I will get too frustrated with this machine, I already love it and feel that I have a pretty good grasp on the sounds, I try not to pay too much attention to the screen, only after I've investigated the target will I look at the numbers and/or smartscreen to give me more information for future reference. Thanks again!