Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to the explorer SE

Merlin cadogan

Hello everybody. I have just bought an explorer SE, and I've taken it out 3 times on The beach here in England where I live. I have been using a surf master 2 for about 5 years, I've found rings, coins and recently lost items in the soft sand. I'm hoping the explorer will help me to stop digging up so much trash.
I am using the factory preset programme. Is this the best starting programme for beach use? Is there anyone who could offer me some sound advice on how to get the best from my new machine ?
I wanted to buy the Excalibur, would it be a decent machine on the beach, IE as good as the explorer SE that I just purchased?
I found a silver six pence that was 200 years old on my first trip out with the explorer, my son was over the moon, it made his day!
Thank you for any advice on my new machine, happy hunting x

Merlin --

The SE is a GREAT machine -- especially for coin hunting (as you found out with your six pence -- that's awesome!) However, while it will do fine on the soft dry sand, it is NOT a waterproof machine. If you plan on doing any hunting near the surf, I would suggest a waterproof machine like the Excalibur. Otherwise, you have purchased a great machine! One other thing, the Explorer series are not the best when it comes to tiny gold jewelry. There are other units more sensitive to very small gold (like a small stud earring and such). For larger gold though (like rings and such), and especially coin hunting, I think you'll really like this unit. I don't have any good suggestions in terms of settings for beach hunting, but for coins, the factory preset program is a great one to use when getting used to the SE.

Have a great time with it!

Steve

Thank you very much Steve, I appreciate your comments. I will be carefully of my explorer in the surf! We have a 10 metre tidal range here! There are so many ship wrecks around the coast here I plan on trying to find some of the lost gold that is documented......

Go on line and order The Minelab Explorer and E-Trac Handbook by Andy Sabisch. This book has a wealth of information in it and will help you understand your Explorer better. It breaks down each setting on the Explorer and explains what each one does and how it effects the machine. There are also programs you can try from coin shooting to beach hunting and gold and jewelry settings. It is a great book.

" One other thing, the Explorer series are not the best when it comes to tiny gold jewelry. There are other units more sensitive to very small gold (like a small stud earring and such)."

Steve; I completely agree with you, however a few years ago I loaned a Explorer to a lady to detecct on the beach. She knew nothing about the machine so I set it up for her and off she went, a couple hours later she had a handful of coins and 3 small gold stud earings.

Hobo -- that right there is an INCREDIBLE story -- not so much on finding the small studs (which these units of course CAN do, as long as they are VERY shallow), but moreso in that a BRAND NEW USER was able to pull off that feat! WOW! She's GOOD! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Steve