Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to the Garrett AT series.. A few Questions about the AT MAX

88SIII

Hello to all. I have only been detecting a little over 4 yrs. and that was been exclusively with a Minelab Xterra 705

I just received my new AT Max last Monday Oct 2nd so I'm quite new to the Garrett AT series.

I'm hoping those who know the Garrett AT series pretty well can help answer a few questions.

For the Garrett AT Max... (ATM)

1.) Does the threshold setting only matter in ALL Metal? The manual is not clear to me,

2.) Should I still be setting a faint threshold background hum in the other discrimination modes?
I’m used to that on the Xterra and any segments notched out provide a "Blank" or "null" response in the threshold hum. The threshold on the ATM does not seem to null when going over a discriminated target.

3.) Since the AT max is really only a 3 tone machine (Xterra had 2:geek:, I’m finding I need to view the TDI numbers more. Is that your experience too?

4.) Do you feel the new tones (AT Gold like) of this machine can offer the same subtle nuances that users of the AT Pro users speak of?

5.) Iron Audio. I’ve been running with it off and only turn it on to check an iffy target. If I’m in Custom Mode, iron discrim. At 30, nothing notched out, I can sometimes get a low iron grunt. OK. That makes sense, but, when I turn “Iron Audio” on and rescan the target, the tone seems to get better, meaning it's no longer giving me the iron grunt. Why would that happen when there was an iron grunt earlier? a bit confusing. (my error I'm sure)

6.) Do you know if the new wireless headphones can be recharged while in use. I can carry spare batteries for the detector, but not the head phones.
What if I forgot to charge them and they cut out. Can I just use a battery booster pack plugged into the mini USB charge port and keep detecting?

,,,What I can say that I like immediately over the Xterra is the fast recovery speed and the ability to pick out targets a bit easier , and the waterproof electronics.

Thanks for taking the time to read this .. TJR (88SIII), Southern Maine

-The threshold setting only works in true all metal mode.
-You should have a faint hum indiscriminate mode
-Once you get familiar with the tones of the MAX and where the cut-off point to the tone is, you will find yourself looking less and less at the screen.
- #4 Not sure what you mean?
-turning on the iron audio, will allow it to grunt at and below the numbers you have chosen. With the iron audio turned off, you sometimes will get a bit of chatter. Mine does the same thing.
-you should be able to charge the headphones anywhere you have access to a USB port. Most newer cars have them. If you can't charge it, you still have the option of using the speaker in the unit, or use an extra headset with the proper connector.

Question 2. Threshold. Am I correct in my understanding that the threshold hum is the level for which all audio signals will start. Meaning if the machine were to produce a faint signal, it would be added to the threshold level.
Therefore, if you can hear the threshold signal over ambient background noise, you should also be able to hear the machine's faint signal.

Question 3. Meant Xterra has 28 tones, not (2 + strange yellow symbol)

Question 4. I have heard several people state they can tell differences in like targets by the AT pro's subtle tonal changes in the pro modes. i.e. Indian Penny vs.corroded copper Lincoln penny. The AT Max has a more crisp buzzer like tone than the AT Pro. I was curious if those familiar with the AT Gold and Max feel they can tell subtle target differences as mentioned above.

Question 6. Yes I realize I can charge via most USB ports , home or auto. What I was asking was are the headphones usable while charging? ( I guess I will just have to give it a try). I can carry extra batteries for the detector into the woods, but what are spare battery options for the head phones since there is no battery level meter. (just the 3hr remaining flashing light which you may or may not be able to see if you are wearing the headphones.) you are correct, I can always pack the wired headphones too or use the built in speaker.

Regarding the built in speaker.. it seems to me that the new built in volume control needs about 3 - 4 additional volume levels between 0 and 1. Even at level one, I find it quite loud.