Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New toyis on the way

frankj3

Finally broke down and ordered the 4" coil for my Legacy 3500. It will fit my Tracker IV too.......or so I hope. Also bought me coil covers for the 4" & 8" coils.

It all should arrive next Tuesday.......7/22.

Also bought another lower arm and bolt to make it easier to change out.

Now, I just need someone to tell me how to use a 4"coil........

HH y'all.

Frank

Congrats! I have been using them for a few years. They make you slow down and cover ground very precisely. You shouldn't miss anything.
Good luck

Swing it slow; walk slow; not as deep as stock coil......these are the major suggestions I have found in my research.
But are the tones different sounding? Will my readings be different on my readout?

Like I said, I will be watching any videos I can find.

Thanks for your comment.

HH y'all.

Frank

The tones and numbers should not be affected. The only thing that I noticed was a few years ago when I had my Landstar. The depth indicated would show 6" but the actual target would be at 3". I learned really fast that I didn't have to dig as deep as it said.
I don't think that is the case with my Time Ranger.
Probably won't be the case with yours either.
Also forgot to mention that you probably won't need to use the pinpoint button very often. It is VERY precise!

Is the ground balance done the same way?
Do you need to set the ground balance as often?

I really appreciate your feedback.......have not found hardly anything on using a 4" coil on YouTube.

HH y'all.

Frank

I would assume ground balancing is identical.
There is not much on videos with that coil. Many people look at the small coil and think it is a joke. Make no mistake, you will love it and take it very seriously after the first time out.

Hi Frank,
With the 4" coil, it takes almost 3 times as long to search the same area as a 8" coil does. However the 4" coil gets better target separation. It's also right on when it comes to pinpointing. You will also find that it's also less sensitive to EMI. So in land searching you can crank the sensitivity at or close to maximum. And at the beach, you can search the wet sand by cranking down the sensitivity and zapping out the wet sand (discriminating out foil). The 4" coil also enables you to search closer to fences and metal posts.

Thanks Walt. I'm looking forward to Tuesday when my toys arrive!! :crazy:
Let me know how you like your new coil once it arrives.

HH y'all.

Frank

I am a newbie to the hobby. I purchased my 1st M.D.(Tek. Delta) about 2 months ago & still found it very unstable after a few good tips from the Teknetics forum on this website. By no means am I trying to knock it, I think its a good machine in certain situations & have decided to keep it. I decided to purchase another detector & give it try. After a little research & a deep discount, I decided on the BH Time Ranger & I cannot contain my joy after experiencing the results. Yesterday was my 1st day out with the TR with the 4" gold nugget coil installed. I decided to go back to the trashy area I hunted with the Tek. Delta & had problems. The TR was unbelievably stable & the 4" coil was awesome, I plucked 7 clad coins within a small diameter that I previously hunted with the TD & ended up with 10 mixed clad coins for the day. I am sure the TD I used earlier probably picked up the coins also but I was using the stock 8" coil & the readings were very unstable due to all the trash. I did notice on the TR that all of my finds were no deeper then 4-5" with the 4" coil, nevertheless it was a great day as a newbie for me! Thank you :bounty: for the great products! Anyone with Time Ranger experience, please share some tips.

Welcome Jake, to the hobby and its best units....BOUNTY HUNTERS!!!!!

I refuse to call Bounty Hunters "entry level" machines. Instead, I call them what they are.......GREAT MACHINES!!!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow when my 4" coil and the other accessories I purchased arrive.

I already have new batteries installed in my Legacy 3500......I just need the new coil to get here!!! :detecting:

Feel free to ask questions bout your machine here. You will get the straight answer from the greatest people in the hobby.

HH y'all.

Frank

Thank you for actual advice. Tried on my old forum and only got treated like a newb. Now I can actually feel good about getting the 4". That's what she said

Due to rainy weather (Yeah! We need it!) and family commitments, I have only hunted twice with my 4" coil. But I doubt I will put the 8" coil back on my Legacy 3500!!

HH y'all.

Frank

Frank,
Keep in mind that which coil you use depends largely upon the search conditions. The 4" coil is great for searching trashy areas and those that have multiple targets present in a small area, however if you are searching a large area that is relatively trash free, the 8" or 11"DD coils are sometimes more appropriate to use to save time and for locating some of the deeper targets.

Hunting in near 100 deg heat is not fun.......or so I can imagine because I ain't doin' it!! LOL

Walt, I have been trying to get back to our city park with my 4" coil. It's an old park and there is a lot of trash below the grass. I've hunted it pretty good with my 8" coil but now I want to try the 4" in those particularly trashy areas. I'm looking forward to working the basketball court again.

My thoughts are to use the 8" coil until I discover how trashy the area is. Then, if I need to, I can put the 4" coil on and clean up.

It's been hot enough here that I have removed all of my gear from the trunk of my car and stored it in my house. Air temps have been in the upper 90's to the low 100's.....and the trend is to continue through next week. The heat index has been near 120.........too hot for this bald head to go out!! We don't get below 90 until nearly 10 PM.

Now today, it's overcast, temp is "cooled down" to the mid 80's, and it's threatening to rain. But family commitments keep me home.......GRRRRRRR!!!!! LOL

HH y'all.

Frank

frankj3 said:
Hunting in near 100 deg heat is not fun.......or so I can imagine because I ain't doin' it!! LOL

Walt, I have been trying to get back to our city park with my 4" coil. It's an old park and there is a lot of trash below the grass. I've hunted it pretty good with my 8" coil but now I want to try the 4" in those particularly trashy areas. I'm looking forward to working the basketball court again.

My thoughts are to use the 8" coil until I discover how trashy the area is. Then, if I need to, I can put the 4" coil on and clean up.

It's been hot enough here that I have removed all of my gear from the trunk of my car and stored it in my house. Air temps have been in the upper 90's to the low 100's.....and the trend is to continue through next week. The heat index has been near 120.........too hot for this bald head to go out!! We don't get below 90 until nearly 10 PM.

Now today, it's overcast, temp is "cooled down" to the mid 80's, and it's threatening to rain. But family commitments keep me home.......GRRRRRRR!!!!! LOL

HH y'all.

Frank[/quote

Frank,
It's finally cooled down enough here to go out detecting in the mornings. A few days ago, I found a coin from United Arab Emerites. couldn't tell you the denomination because the other writing on the coin was all in arabic writing.
HH.

Walt

Walt,

Can you send me a picture of the coin?
We have friends who lived there for several years.
I bet they will know what it is.

Frank

frankj3 said:
Walt,

Can you send me a picture of the coin?
We have friends who lived there for several years.
I bet they will know what it is.

Frank

Frank,
Here's some pictures of the coin. The coin is the same size as a US Quarter.
HH.
Walt

Walt,

Can you send me a picture of the coin? we have some friends who lived there for several years. I bet they can identify it for you.

Frank