Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New toys for the F5

coin pirate

I always liked the arm cuff I had with my Garrett, and since my F5 didn't come with one, had to remedy that, plus, I'm used to having a cover for protection on my electronics, and, I didn't want to keep buying alkaline batteries all the time, and since both the F5 and the ProPointer use 9v's, it made sense to get rechargeable ones, I went with the EBL 600mAh Li-ion 9V Rechargeable Batteries.

[attachment 333617 20160721_111141_HDR.jpg]

[attachment 333618 20160721_111149_HDR.jpg]

[attachment 333619 20160721_111115_HDR.jpg]

[attachment 333620 20160721_111440_HDR.jpg]

That's what I call tweaking your rig, nice job coin pirate. Since you mentioned batteries, does the f5 come with a low battery light? The batteries seem to last forever in my f5 and the only time I change mine is when the volt bar goes out of sight. I get at least 40 hours on them before that happens.

Has a battery indicator, not sure about a warning light, assume not, after about 3-4hrs swinging, one notch lower on the battery indicator already, but you never know just how good alkaline are when you buy them, I use to buy copper-tops, but that would get expensive, this will remedy that.

Also, a sneak info to come....diy lighted F5:surprised:

Coin Pirate, I have noticed that some brands of batteries fit extremely tight in the F5. Do you have a hard time inserting the re chargeable batteries in the F5? I also have the neoprene Fisher cover for my F5 and noticed one flaw. You cannot access the headphone jack with this cover. By necessity, I cannot hook the velcro cover on the bottom to plug in my headphones. Not a real big deal as the display part has a stretchy rubber band to keep it tightly on the control box. Good luck with this fine detector and keep us posted on what you are finding.

Batteries fit fine, same dimension as Duracell's, I plan on making a small hole in the back, actually 2 holes, I don't like the pressure it puts on the coil cable, will cause the wires to break eventually, will still protect it enough from dirt and rain just the same, then the headphones will work just fine. Not like I plan on MDing in torrential rain lol.

I also want to know how those batteries fit in the F5 and how many hours you can get out of them. I have found that I have to fight with some batteries to get them to fit inside the F5. I got weary of breaking something inside the compartment so I ditched some brands. I don't use Energizer Max anymore. The regular Duracell copper tops seem to fit well without undue force. The thickness of the rolled up border at the edge of the battery bottom can be problematic with this detector.

Also, getting one battery indicator bar to go out after 3-4 hours is normal. Mine does that all the time but it seems to stay at 3 bars forever.

dfmike said:
I also want to know how those batteries fit in the F5 and how many hours you can get out of them. I have found that I have to fight with some batteries to get them to fit inside the F5. I got weary of breaking something inside the compartment so I ditched some brands. I don't use Energizer Max anymore. The regular Duracell copper tops seem to fit well without undue force. The thickness of the rolled up border at the edge of the battery bottom can be problematic with this detector.

Also, getting one battery indicator bar to go out after 3-4 hours is normal. Mine does that all the time but it seems to stay at 3 bars forever.

Good to know about the battery bar, I'll let everyone know about fitment, they appear exact dimensions as Duracell, but I'll install them later today, and keep track of usage, these were their first time charged, so I don't know if they last longer with subsequent charges. So far I've only put one in my ProPointer, don't know if I'm imagining or what, but when I tested the pointer the LED looked a lot brighter than with the Duracell.

dfmike said:
I also want to know how those batteries fit in the F5 and how many hours you can get out of them. I have found that I have to fight with some batteries to get them to fit inside the F5.

RLOH said:
Coin Pirate, I have noticed that some brands of batteries fit extremely tight in the F5. Do you have a hard time inserting the re chargeable batteries in the F5? I also have the neoprene Fisher cover for my F5 and noticed one flaw. You cannot access the headphone jack with this cover.

Notice the small slit going from left to right for the coax cable, this prevents the cable from being bent and damaged, I made a similar slit on the opposite side for the headphones. Being a neoprene cover it has stretching ability, so the slit need only be very small, if worried about the slit extending over time, a needle and some black thread to seal the cut ends will prevent it from spreading. There really is no chance of rain getting in there.

After installing the new batteries, they fit very easily, even better than Energizers, which is what I had in there, not Duracell as I had previously stated. I will note the length of charge, but expect to drain them a few times before they reach their full charge potential. Also....as long as they stay charged for a decent length, 25+ hours, not worried as they are....chargeable after all!! And the batteries are only showing full charge minus one bar, but, I may not have charged them fully either, in a few more recharges will tell.

[attachment 333650 20160722_095337_HDR.jpg]