Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New (used) Gold Bug

pasttom

I picked up a virtually new GB this week and I am stunned! I have been griping about not getting good IDs and not knowing if its me or what. Well it not me! The GB is amazingly quiet and works like a charm. I am finding more 60s pennies, etc anyway, but I am feeling confident in what I am doing at a new level with the GB. I have about a 4 acre field where a house stood years ago, but no indication where. I have worked it maybe 10 hours and only found rusty tin, scraps and such. Yesterday I found my oldest and first foreign coin there after about an hour and a half with the GB.
[attachment 201349 37cinco.jpg]
This hit as a nickle 58 and is a 5 cent piece but copper and from Mexico. The area dates to 1800s Spanish rule of California, so we have potential of older coins and this is long past that transition. We do have a large percentage of people with ties to Mexico, but this is still the first coin I have found from there and the first from that field.
I swapped my 11 inch dd from the Omega and what do you know, it pinpoints! It was unusable in the Omega 'cuz it took forever to locate the target. Now its located inside a soup can lid size area without pinpointing and half that if I do!*
My first 3 targets were 58s- 2 nickles and a pull tab, sigh. I'll take it.
So, 8 months into MDing, I feel encouraged and much better about not being inept. I've found 5 lbs of coins and maybe 30 lbs of junk. I've lost 30 lbs and 2 sizes in pants. I still am not finding enough to cover the cost of gas and batteries (second sigh), but that may not be far off as I am improving every month. Bottom line- its just a good thing this is so darn much fun! :detecting:
Tom

*please note and excuse possible slight exaggeration- but only slight! ;)

Hey, Pasttom, Congrats on the coin and feelings...as well as getting some exercise. I know that a big issue to many is that they think detecting will suddenly put MONEY in their pockets....It does but not Big money.
Many times I knew guys whom would scoff that all we find is chump change.
But I do believe what Ben Franklin said.
A penny saved is a penny earned.
Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

Detecting is a lot like real estate. Location,Location,Location.
You can hunt many old sites first but if it is not a place that people whom had money lost money , you will not do well. Me I like knowing whom has money to lose and where they lose it.
Todays children have more to lose in their pockets than ever before. And it is amazing how little they think of the value of a dollar, or a nickle or a penny. My semi-step daughter would take nickles and throw them with the claim if somebody found it it might make they happy. Now she has a job as a waitress and I think she has changed her attitude a bit.
But the point is I have found dollar's in pennies at the local high school. I think they throw them at each other.

i don't like crowds much or is the individuals in the crowds not sure? anyway i just go where i don't want to go but after they have gone mostly :clapping:

round copper things you have a good machine for that for sure!! coins i mostly hunt are 92.5 percent copper and round so the bug loves them!!

see i did say good things about the gold bug i like it wont sell it it stays here with me where it belongs :clapping: