Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New V user Advice...Use it if you like

SandPhantom

Seen a lot of posts about falsing from new V users. As a new user myself who is getting used to the V and had this issue, here is something to check:

Coming from minelabs I thought the V was a chatter box. Well, to my suprise after going through and setting the custom settings to my liking I realized something. I realized that what I thought was falsing and chatter was real targets(just not silver and gold, lots of pulltabs that registered high on the 22.5 Khz or high on the 2.5khz). I realized this after setting my tones to an audible setting in groups to get my attention when I passed over a target. I also turned tones off on the VDI''s I dont want to hear instead of discriminating.

The targets were at different depths and sometimes due to the trashy areas I hunt, there was separate targets stacked at different depths. When I slowed down and dug,it became clear and I realized my issue. It wasn't my DD coil and it wasn't EMI. It was my V doing what it was designed to do, find stuff. It seen targets at depths that I wasn't used to but sounded on the first and sometimes the second but there where more stacked under the coil. After reading forums and taking notes and reading the manual and taking notes. I went through and made changes that helped me with my likes of detecting. Before I did this my Rx was at 1 or 2. Now I can turn the V on and detect at 10 or greater with a Disc at mid 80 and greater.

Another thing I noticed which may be good or bad, who knows? I don't ground balance as much during a hunt. Usually, once. I have this bad-boy now as a turn on and go detector. Now I begin to try new programs and see what small changes do.

I'm at this point due to the fact I stayed with one program and made small changes and tested until I understood what was going on. I dug the noise that I associated with being a faulty V or coil.
Every time I dug there was something there. You MUST decide to adjust the tones or turn off the VDI or turn the tone off for the item that is giving you hell! This can only be done by you and your preferences for what you are after....in my opinion. I still get a lot of targets registering. The beauty is that I have them set custom to what I want to hear when I get annoying VDI's but cant take them out due to being in the range of the prime targets I seek.

I'm not a pro or one to offer advice. But, I see a lot of posts on falsing and this is my experience and after some tweaking and digging I wanted to share what I found. It may be right or wrong, it works for me and may explain something to help you.

My thoughts on this were sparked by going from a trash area to an area with no trash and what became apparent was the V became quiet and had me checking to make sure my headphone batteries were good or if the machine was even on.

This is great my friend, so thank you. A little problem we over in the U.K. would find with this idea. Our small hammered coins can give a VDI of between say low 20's up wards, the same as the bloody ring pulls !! So here we just couldnt turn the tones off incase we must good finds. Just a pointer for users over here .

Dave

SandPhantom.......Is there an advantage to having VDI set at O or off over discriminating those numbers? Does it reduce masking?.......Coach

coach c said:
SandPhantom.......Is there an advantage to having VDI set at O or off over discriminating those numbers? Does it reduce masking?.......Coach

I accept all targets down to -40. This still discriminates out small iron, but reduces the masking tremendously. I did the same thing with my DFX and found this 1817 Large Cent up against an old iron tool.

The VDI was bouncing in the negative numbers with an occasional high VDI that would have been masked by the tool if I was discriminating out the negatives.

2009_05310020a.JPG
2009_05310021a.JPG

Some good input on use of tones, How do you like your 5.3 coil?