Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New V3i

berrycw

Hello Everyone,

I just took delivery of a new V3i. I have not had the chance to use it yet as I'm away from home at work, but hopefully in a week or so I will have the chance. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum about the V3i and I just have a couple of questions:

1. SEF coils...anyone using them with the V3i? If so what do you think of them verses the stock coil and coils coils that can be purchased from White's? I am planning on buying a couple of different sizes.

2. In-line target probes...are they worth it?

I'm sure I will have more questions at some point and I certainly hope that I can contribute to the forum in the future.

Thanks!

The only coil I use is the 10x12 SEF. I think it is a lot more stable than the 10in DD. I use the Sun Ray dx-1 in line probe and I wouldnt go hunting with out it.:twodetecting::whites::cheers:

TIM CLARK said:
The only coil I use is the 10x12 SEF. I think it is a lot more stable than the 10in DD. I use the Sun Ray dx-1 in line probe and I wouldnt go hunting with out it.:twodetecting::whites::cheers:

:cheers: What he said!

You will hear many opinions to your 2 questions. I do prefer the 10D2. My buddy uses the 10x12, who's wrong?

The same with the Dx1. Will it find deeper targets or more targets? NO. Is it nice, Yes. You have to ask if you will be bothered by the cord and extra weight (10oz). Do you need the discrimination ability of the DX1 in a pin pointer? I do own a Dx1.

Now if we ever get the wireless pin pointer that will be the only one to choose.

Congrats on getting this great detector. I would love to get a 10 x 12 sef i just can't spend that kind of $ and not be able to use my hot settings I use tx boost a lot. I really like the dx probe. Good luck.

I own three coils: the stock 10dd, a 6x10 eclipse and a sef 10x12. I prefer the 6x10 for trashy areas, the 10 for everyday hunting, and the sef coil for depth in wide open (few targets) areas....but....I don't usually take all three coils with me to a hunt and will use whichever coil I had thought best for the area when I headed out....and I doubt it would make a significant difference most of the time anyway.

As for the pinpointer.. I have owned several hand helds but never an in-line. I don't really understand why you need target ID with your pinpointer anyway, provided you can come very close (within an inch or so) in pinpointing your target with your regular md coil, then just use the pinpointer to find that target that's hard to see - even when it's already out of the hole. It would be nice, of course, to be able to ID your target with a pinpointer, but not worth the added weight to me. Besides, we have all learned, haven't we, to ALWAYS recheck the hole for additional targets before filling it back in, and I'm gonna dig anything I find in the same hole with a good target anyway. I will second the comment re: a wireless pinpointer. That would be getting the good without having to put up with the bad.

I use either the Garrett or an older White's Bullseye (I own four of these, but for some reason I latched on to a really "hot" one that has a better reach than even the Garret supertuned. I also own a couple Bullseye II's....and only keep those for a backup backup.....lol

DX-1 is the only way to fly. SEF coil is hands down a better coil in my opinion than the stock D2 unit. Its all I use.

[size=large]I just bought a new Whites V3I with wireless head phones and I have a fairly new Garrett Pinpointer Pro. First off I have to say *I love this new V3I*. What a machine!!! How to the problem at hand. I also like this Garrett Pinpointer Pro, It's heavy duty and works great. Until now!! The way the Garrett works is you push the button switch once and the unit beeps twice and you're good to go. If you turn on the Garrett while the Whites is on you can hear interference big time in the head phones. You may have to try and turn the Garrett on many many times before it will beep twice and work. You may have to push the button on/off seven or more times in order to get the Garrett to work. Then again there may be times when it will work properly on the first try. I have called Garrett and they told me how to reset the Garrett~but that didn't work. It still will not start up properly. I do not like having to push the button sometimes as much as 7 times before it will work and that is un-nerving when you find a target and want to dig it. Now the whites dealer who also sold me the Garrett tied a new Garrett out of the box with a new V3i and it does the same thing!!! They just don't want to work with each other. Has anyone had this problem? What is causing this problem? Does anyone know how to fix the problem. I wish Whites would make a pinpointer has heavy duty and good as this Garrett (when it is not interfering). I have tied the Whites bullseye and it just doesn't stand up to the quality. If this Garrett will not work properly with the V3I, I'm looking into a Pistol Pro. Anyone use this probe with a V3I. Thanks for any help. Ted[/size]

I'm glad you posted. Funny thing is I ordered the Garrett Pro Pointer as well. However I have not made it home yet to try them out. I will let you know how I make out once I get the chance.

The Pro Pointer has a known problem with its switch. I have one and as long as I don't have the V's coil too close it works just fine.

I also have a DX-1, however mine is a few years old as I bought it for my DFX. It will overload if the all metal sens is turned up too high unless I hold it by the base when locking in pinpoint mode, then grab it half way up (deadening the signal a bit). This makes it more stable and will still give me an inch or two of detection.

I prefer inline probes because I can never lose them. I have lost every regular pinpointer I ever bought.

hodr said:
I also have a DX-1, however mine is a few years old as I bought it for my DFX. It will overload if the all metal sens is turned up too high unless I hold it by the base when locking in pinpoint mode, then grab it half way up (deadening the signal a bit). This makes it more stable and will still give me an inch or two of detection.

I prefer inline probes because I can never lose them. I have lost every regular pinpointer I ever bought.

I am sorry for getting in on this but your post has me confused.

I have a Pro Pointer and love it. It doesn't cause problems with my V3i. I pull it out of my back pocket and it just works. You state that you have to give special treatment to your DX-1 to get it to do what you want it to. I have no problem with any one of these pointers but your claim that you have lost every regular pinpointer that you ever bought reflects on you, not the pointer.

Do you just lay them down and go home???

Again sorry... I am a lurker and rarely post. Just had to add my 2 cents on this one.

It is very easy to leave a pin pointer behind and it doesn't reflect on the hunter. I lost a pro pointer in a cornfield. I could have left it on the ground or it could have fallen out of my holster. It easy to find in a field, 4 of us couldn't find it. I now have a tether on mine. Guess some of us aren't perfect.

I have been using my V3i for a little over a month. I have 2 Pro Pointers that I use with all my detectors.The only problems I have had with them is: If I leave them on for more than a minute or two laying on the ground, They will start chirping and will not stop until turned off. This always happens. I am now in the habit of turning them off and not leaving them turned on. I try to keep my search coils out of the way of all tools... Mel

I'm closing this post as it has got off track. The Pro Pointer warranty and switch issues should be covered on the Garrett forum.