Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New wet sand beach scoop...

... well, not really new but newly modified. I found a tool with a collapsable handle that looked like it would be stout enough for the scoop. so I bought one and modified/adapted it to fit my T-Rex. Until now, I had a full size shovel handle in it. I've not tested it and granted, the telescoping fiberglass handle is not as strong as the solid hickory handle but it should work and be much easier to transport. Extended, it's a full size handle about 4' long, collapsed it's only two feet and the shovel part unscrews.

That handle appear to be a handle for a paint roller. Be careful putting much pressure on it especially on the heavy wet sand. It could ruin your day of detecting.

Actually not a paint roller handle but similar design with heavier construction. It had a full size spade shovel head on it when I got it. The shovel insert is machined aluminum and I had to drill the rivets out. The line of tools is marketed towards forest fire fighters, off road enthusiasts, and other people needing sturdy compact tools. I will admit I'm still skeptical and will remain so until I've thoroughly tested it but still trying to stay optimistic. It was not cheap either (thank goodness for Amazon points) and I'll be "not happy" if it doesn't pass muster. But hey, it was on the internet, it has to be good, right!?

You never know unless you try. Let us know how it holds up.

Keep us informed as to how well it works. A collapsible handle sure would make a scoop much easier to transport. I started out with a wood handle and you could hear it complain with every big scoop of packed wet wand so I replaced it with a fiberglass handle that was made for a post hole digger. Been using it for a few years and havent been able to break it "YET"

I'll let you guys know, pass or fail, as soon as I give it a work out. I'm curios myself... :)

I've found that if I ramp up the torque like slipping a clutch will keep me from snapping the handle. Now that I have a CF I don't think I need to do it anymore but its a habit and I don't mind doing it.

I have the T-rex as well but use the handle with a metal tip you can buy at Lowes for about $10. I weighed it and it is only a few ounces more than the carbon fiber handles you can buy for over 100$. Also It will not break! I put all my weight standing on the shovel in the wet sand to get it deep and a good scoop. Works over and over. Eventually after a couple years, I had to buy another handle because the metal part eventually corrodes. Well...just another10 bucks.

Mike

Stogger said:
I have the T-rex as well but use the handle with a metal tip you can buy at Lowes for about $10. I weighed it and it is only a few ounces more than the carbon fiber handles you can buy for over 100$. Also It will not break! I put all my weight standing on the shovel in the wet sand to get it deep and a good scoop. Works over and over. Eventually after a couple years, I had to buy another handle because the metal part eventually corrodes. Well...just another10 bucks.

Mike

I had a good solid hickory handle in it. Hated to take it out but wanted a collapsible handle for travel. Still hanging on to it just in case...

OK, had a chance recently to give the Franken-scoop a workout in the beach sand and it works quite well. The scoop itself is not a fluffy sand scoop but requires water to wash sand through the 1/4 inch holes. Since I was using a PI, it was just dig and dump anyway...

The handle is at least as strong as the wooden shovel handle I snapped recently digging in the wife's garden. Did not notice it having any problems carrying a load of sand from the hole but I did slow down a bit digging out a full scoop. Later in the day, I discovered that with the D-grip, it works just as well for must stuff retracted (I'm 6' 2"). Have not tried it in deep water yet but it worked just fine in the wet surf. The down side is all that fiberglass and stainless steel is weighty and bulky but still manageable despite my lack of youth and vigor. Besides, I do this for exercise, right? :)

controlfreq said:
OK, had a chance recently to give the Franken-scoop a workout in the beach sand and it works quite well. The scoop itself is not a fluffy sand scoop but requires water to wash sand through the 1/4 inch holes. Since I was using a PI, it was just dig and dump anyway...

The handle is at least as strong as the wooden shovel handle I snapped recently digging in the wife's garden. Did not notice it having any problems carrying a load of sand from the hole but I did slow down a bit digging out a full scoop. Later in the day, I discovered that with the D-grip, it works just as well for must stuff retracted (I'm 6' 2"). Have not tried it in deep water yet but it worked just fine in the wet surf. The down side is all that fiberglass and stainless steel is weighty and bulky but still manageable despite my lack of youth and vigor. Besides, I do this for exercise, right? :)

Great, glad its working so well for you. A picture would be nice.......!

Champ Ferguson said:
Great, glad its working so well for you. A picture would be nice.......!

There are pictures at the top in the OP, or at least supposed to be. I was posting a follow up review on it actually working as designed. :)

My bad, its there. Looks nice!

4 year follow up:

It's been working nicely although it is heavy and does not seem to be getting any lighter as I get older but I'm still able to handle it. After the last beach trip in the fall I discovered the collar (at shovel end) had a crack in it. Took a little research but I found the mfg (had lost the information and almost forgot the name). I contacted them to buy a repair part but they just ask my address, a new collar came in the mail a week later. hat level of customer service is refreshing these days. Folded down, it's about 4 ft long which seems about right for most of my digging but it does telescope out longer if I need it. So far it does does what I need collapsed.