Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New White’s GMX Sport released

Thanks for sharing ,

Thanks for the post. This gives me some hope that White’s is still breathing and trying to innovate. I’m ready for that machine that makes me say ”DAANG!!” and not another re-hash.

"Diggindumbstuff":
Thanks for the post. This gives me some hope that White’s is still breathing and trying to innovate. I’m ready for that machine that makes me say ”DAANG!!” and not another re-hash.

I also like to see new and functional detector offerings as long as they work well afield and bring us something that might be needed to be 'competitive' on today's market. The rushed the MX Sport to market which was a mistake, and it had a lot of glitches that presented a bad image and they had to correct them. Finally they did and the MX Sport cave consumers a general-purpose detector in a waterproof package. I didn't/don't care for the over-size standard coil, nor the weightier design to make it waterproof, but they did "the right thing" and used that display and circuitry to bring out an excellent land-based MX-7. :thumbup: Better balance, better search coil (standard) and a fine-looking model.

Then they used the MX-7" housings and configuration and developed a Gold Master 24K and brought out the land-based Gold Nugget Hunting model. It appears they apparently took that well-balanced and functional nugget-hunting land detector and simply re-hashed stuck it in the MX Sport's waterproof housing for those who feel a need to nugget hunt to a 10' depth.. So, they simply added another model to their detector offerings for those who want a submersible gold hunting unit.

But what I would like to see are other changes needed in their line-up. Drop the over-priced models down because they lack a lot of the features and functions we have seen come out from most other detector makers for several years now.. Bring us something new that offers operator control we only find on other brands which draws people, including me, away from White's product line. Naturally, to accomplish that task in-house it takes a savvy electronic engineer. Anyone know just who the lead engineer is at White's these days? Major detector makers like Fisher or Teknetics or Minelab or Nokta / Makro have engineering teams and we usually know who they are or at least the lead design engineer, but I don't know who that would be at White's, or even from XP over in France.

The new GMX Sport should work because the 24K works, but I'm waiting to see anything that qualifies as a new and inventive design from White's for the mass consumer market. Those would be Coin & Jewelry Hunters, Beach Hunters and Relic Hunters. Still watching and wondering.

Monte

Its just another detector to get those who live in hope to part with their money.Is it going to set the detecting world on fire........no it isn't in all honesty......nothing new here i'm afraid.

GMX Sport New XGB ground balance system. This machine represents new generation of VLG detection technology. Starting with the industry-standard 48Hz operating frequency. An all-new XGB ground balance system can handle mineralized ground unlike other VLF prospecting machines. You can even assign a ground balance offset in both TracLock or XGB modes. The GMX Sport features a Ground Scan mode that can show you where valuable paystreaks are in streambeds and washes. There is a lot of information about the new GMX!
I will be watching for videos on it! The VLF with 48Hz should be complimentary for gold!

Personally, I'm really glad that the GMX has been released. I hope it does not have any design issues that plagued the release of the MX Sport.
The main reason I'm glad is that a buddy of mine really likes to gold prospect with a detector in creeks. The "follow the black sand" Ground Scan feature on the GMT and GM24K has been included on the GMX. So, my buddy sold me his used 24K with the stock elliptical coil and the fantastic 6.5" concentric round coil at a ridiculous price so he could fund his GMX. I am very impressed with the 24K and I have owned and used every gold prospecting specific VLF detector made in the last 20 years except for the Gold Bug II. I always liked the MX5 and MX7 form factor too. So far, the GM24K and the GMX, although a bit expensive, are excellent gold prospecting detectors and would also be great for low to mid conductor jewelry hunting on land or in fresh water, especially micro jewelry.

Jeff

Last edited:
"#1Leatherneck:
1GMX Sport New XGB ground balance system.
2 This machine represents new generation of VLG detection technology.
3 Starting with the industry-standard 48Hz operating frequency.
4An all-new XGB ground balance system can handle mineralized ground unlike other VLF prospecting machines. You can even assign a ground balance offset in both TracLock or XGB modes.
5 The GMX Sport features a Ground Scan mode that can show you where valuable paystreaks are in streambeds and washes. There is a lot of information about the new GMX!
6 I will be watching for videos on it! The VLF with 48Hz should be complimentary for gold!

#1Leatherneck, I guess I'll say 'Welcome to the Finds Forums. I say that because there are so many 'handles' used I can't keep track. Also, you've been registered here since Dec. of 2017, and in that 2-Years and almost 2 Months you've only posted 66 messages. Some of have few more under our belt, and with your small activity in over 2 years, your name doesn't catch my attention. Sorry.

Of course that also suggests that I am not that familiar with you, the types of hunting you do, the detectors you use or your knowledge and experience in this great sport. However, reading your post leaves me to wonder if a lot of what you posted was simply cut-and-paste quotes from their advertising, or if you're only using their statements, because I have posted elsewhere already that even the folks at White's don't seem knowledgeable about their own product, or whoever is editing their material needs a little education as well. My replies might help you a little as well because what you typed was either their quote, or you don't know the facts, either, to correct your own comments.

Okay class, open your books to 1► ... Technically, the XGB Ground Balance system isn't really 'new' because they had it and that term incorporated with their Goldmaster 24K that has been out for a while.

Now, to 2►... I believe you meant to type VLF and not the neighborly VLG, but the 24K and the GMX, like their other Goldmaster series models ARE NOT VLF DETECTORS. A manufacturing company, a savvy design engineer, or anyone half-way in-the-know should be aware, especially if editing any written product material, that the VLF (Very Low Frequency) range is 1 kHz to 30 kHz. The White's Goldmaster models generally work at 45 kHz which is in the higher LF (Low Frequency) range. There is a difference.

Continuing on to 3► ... Two flaws. That is White's choice for their gold detector operating frequency. It is by no means an "industry standard." Also, they are working at 48 kHz and not 48Hz. Again, there is a really big difference.

Follow on to 4► ... And again we have the 'recent' XGB system and not 'all new', and NO it can't be compared because it ISN'T A VLF detector.

On to 5► ... Is it showing a "valuable paystreak" which suggests it is showing the presence of gold ore, or is it showing a 'potential paystreak' which is a concentrated area of black sand or other high iron-content deposits. There is a difference.

Okay, we'll conclude with 6► ... You can watch all the You Tube and other videos you want, but if they can't correctly describe this as a LF detector and not a VLF, and also point out it operates at 48 kHz and NOT 48Hz, then I would be too excited about other incorrect information they might pass along to you.

Have I said anything here about the 24K or newer GMX Sport NOT working well and being able to find gold nuggets? Of course not because I know they can. I've spoken with users of the 24K and heard good reviews. Heck, I might even make a 24K one of my detector purchases this year after I check one out myself. I like the 24K's package design, weight and balance, and If make the round 6" Concentric my coil-of-choice. The ONLY thing that kind of bothers me is what's up with White's? Don't they have a lead design engineer or a CEO or heavens, even an Owner who can see that the advertising/marketing is incorrect and then fix it?

Makes me wonder about the Now as well as the Future.

Monte

Jeff,

Congratulations on having a friend make you a great deal. I've considered getting a 24K myself, especially with the 6½" Concentric coil, as soon as I thin out a few more excess models I own. I have friends in California and Nevada who have had favorable comments about the 24K. They did say White's got something right by offering that 6½" Concentric, but also commented that some of their marketing, like calling 48 kHz a VLF detector when it operates in the LF range, was something they should have caught.

I really like the MX-7's packaging and was impressed when I first saw them use that, in a nice tan color, for the 24K.

I used to be healthier long ago, and in the latter '80s and into the '90s most of my Gold Nugget Hunting was done with a Concentric coil, and using detectors operating at 13.77 to 15 kHz. My best detected gold was a 5 dwt and 8 dwt in California with a 13.77 kHz unit using a 6" Concentric coil which was my best day ever looking for gold nuggets. That was in '88. I can't get around like I used to, but using newer LF detectors I did get into an area of little 'pickers' with a 56 kHz Macro Gold Racer, and that model was pretty impressive. But other offerings out there never worked as well for me, and that includes the 19 kHz Fisher and Teknetics Gold Bug / G2 or F19 / G2+. I'll clean out a couple more extra units I have and borrow a detector dealer friend's demo 24K and check it out. It's on my radar, and cost + 10% would be all I'd be out..

Best of success to you with your new device, and I hope you get favorable weather to put it to work for you.

Monte

Thanks Monte!!!

I have my AWD Subaru packed........taking a battery modded TDI SL with Nugget Finder Sadie, XP ORX 9" HF coil, Equinox 800 6" coil and the Whites 24K for 2 days of gold prospecting near Phoenix early tomorrow morning, IF I can get my car to crank (-1 degrees here in Denver) and the roads aren't too snow packed between here and Santa Fe NM.

I am eager to tryout some of the interesting features on the 24K/GMX especially what appears to be a reference threshold tone which doesn't null on iron but instead acts more like a normal old fashioned threshold tone and becomes the audio when the signal is too weak to give a high tone in Audio Mode. The MX5 had something similar for its discrimination modes that I did not like however. I really like the Iron Cancel feature too. The VCO audio in All Metal mode is very gentle on my ears as is the ability to eliminate the threshold tone in All Metal for silent VCO searching when I get audio fatigue after 8 or more hours of detecting. The XGB ground balance system is also very impressive so far in testing on some hot rock specimens that I encounter where I'm going. The 24K has excellent ergonomics and with the 6.5" coil I don't notice the 3.5 lbs weight at all. The 6.5" is extremely sensitive on very small gold (sub grain gold) and it will really scream on anything in the .25 gram or larger range. The GMX ergonomics may not be as good. I thought the MX Sport felt very heavy.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'm feeling lucky...........

Jeff

Last edited:
GMX Sport New XGB ground balance system. This machine represents new generation of VLG detection technology. Starting with the industry-standard 48Hz operating frequency. An all-new XGB ground balance system can handle mineralized ground unlike other VLF prospecting machines. You can even assign a ground balance offset in both TracLock or XGB modes. The GMX Sport features a Ground Scan mode that can show you where valuable paystreaks are in streambeds and washes. There is a lot of information about the new GMX!
I will be watching for videos on it! The VLF with 48Hz should be complimentary for gold!

Sounds good in the adverts and i am not saying i won't be a good detector......whites machines have been some of the best i've owned for the purpose i owned them for.
I have been lucky enough,over the years,to have owned the top models that have arrived on the market and i have had a lot of success with most of them.........i have out of curiosity tried many new models that promise to get that extra treasure that others leave behind because of new programs,innovation etc,etc.
What do i use now.........i have an xp goldmax power which is now an old machine and a Saxon sm 45 which is a bit of a cult detector over here.........and one that is put together in a shed somewhere in Essex in the uk.It has two controls,a gain control and a discrim control and in the real world i seem to do as well as anybody who owns latest super computer that people like to swing while wearing a grin from ear to ear.
The next detector i buy will be one that genuinely changes the game,not because it has a control box that you can slip into your pocket and gives you a nice buzzing sensation on your gonads as you go over a target,not because it has a nice shaft that folds up to a size that will fit into a pencil case and not because it has another ridiculous program that means absolutely nothing.........i will by another detector if it genuinely offers me the chance to find targets that are currently out of reach of the current batch of latest and greatest......i think i am in for a very long wait.

jmaclen:
Thanks Monte!!!

I have my AWD Subaru packed........taking a battery modded TDI SL with Nugget Finder Sadie, XP ORX 9" HF coil, Equinox 800 6" coil and the Whites 24K for 2 days of gold prospecting near Phoenix early tomorrow morning, IF I can get my car to crank (-1 degrees here in Denver) and the roads aren't too snow packed between here and Santa Fe NM.

I am eager to tryout some of the interesting features on the 24K/GMX .... I really like the Iron Cancel feature too. .... The VCO audio in All Metal mode is very gentle on my ears as is the ability to eliminate the threshold tone in All Metal for silent VCO searching when I get audio fatigue after 8 or more hours of detecting.

The 24K has excellent ergonomics and with the 6.5" coil I don't notice the 3.5 lbs weight at all. .... The 6.5" is extremely sensitive on very small gold (sub grain gold) and it will really scream on anything in the .25 gram or larger range. .... The GMX ergonomics may not be as good. I thought the MX Sport felt very heavy.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'm feeling lucky...........

Jeff

I trust you are on-your-way, so drive safely, and again, I wish you all the best of success on this adventure.

Yes, the 24K has some features that interested me, and if they've tamed the VCO audio to be 'gentle' on the ears, that's a good thing. 8 hours of hunting in a day ... I remember those days, but that's been a while for me.

Ergonomics of any detector is also something I have been more attentive to the past couple of decades. Three, actually, and I found the MX-7 to be very comfortable, and appreciated them locating the headphone jack at the rear of the battery housing. They should have done that with the MX-5. Just a simple 'fix' that sure makes a difference. The MX-7 always kept the 6½" Concentric coil mounted, and I haven't used the one for the 24K yet, and just hope they didn't make it a heavier coil for the Gold Hunting units. I found the MX-Sport to be a bit 'clumsy' to handle with its heavier waterproof design, and the MX-7 was remarkably better balanced and easier to handle for prolonged periods.

Looking forward to a good trip report.

Monte

Mission accomplished! I would like to thank all members who have commented on my post! The fact that the GMX is a new release, and many like myself are interested in new technology, I am anxious to learn what is on the horizon! In the past few years technology has certainly impressed the ones in the hobby! There are many wonderful members on the forum, I appreciate surrounding myself with those knowledgeable.
Again, thanks, and I appreciate all replies!

Last edited:
...but if they can't correctly describe this as a LF detector and not a VLF,

This is one of those gray-area-terms. In radio-land, VLF has a strict definition, 3-30kHz. In detector-land, it's given a bit more leeway. Generally, if it's below 100kHz (the old TR standard) and has ground balance, then I consider "VLF" to be OK. It's what detectorists understand.

Quiz... which of the following detectors are not (truly) VLF?

Compass Relic Magnum
Compass AU52
Fisher 1280x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Minelab Eureka
Minelab Equinox
White’s Coinmaster V
White’s V3

Monte, thank you! While several years ago, I understood VLF, and the determining limits in CB radios, and ham radios; likewise, the VLF, and high freq. in police scanners; together; likewise, UHF (Ultra High Freq.). with the CB radios of the higher end, i.e., Tram, had a VFO, (variable freq. oscillator) Allowing one to 'slide' around in the VHF freq.? One could 'slide' all the way up above VLF, and below VLF. Most of this is from memory going back several years, the Tram and Yaesu (sp) to my knowledge were the only two tube type radios that had this ability.
Therefore, back to the GMX Sport does it have abilities in the VHF, that is referenced "[T]his machine represents new generation of VLG detection technology" I believe at first impression it is ambiguous; however, there might be more to this new technology? ? ?
Again, thanks!
#1Leatherneck

Last edited:
This is one of those gray-area-terms. In radio-land, VLF has a strict definition, 3-30kHz. In detector-land, it's given a bit more leeway. Generally, if it's below 100kHz (the old TR standard) and has ground balance, then I consider "VLF" to be OK. It's what detectorists understand.

Compass Relic Magnum
Compass AU52
Fisher 1280x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Minelab Eureka
Minelab Equinox
White’s Coinmaster V
White’s V3
Curious if the GMX Sport has technology "[T]his machine represents new generation of VLG detection technology. Starting with the industry-standard 48Hz operating frequency. An all-new XGB ground balance system can handle mineralized ground unlike other VLF prospecting machines." The White's Spectra V3i with the configurability of Frequency Offset one would have to use a frequency counter to ascertain the frequency differentiation? A friend that I metal detect with has an inexpensive metal detector, and it operates in 6.79 Khz, and it does very well. Realizing this must be a copyright of a manufacturer I assume the ability of a metal detector thru configurability or as with the technology of the GMX a detectorist could arrive at the more desirable freq./Khz?
I have a White's Spectra V3i; however, several years ago, I owned some of the higher end of CB radios, and owned a digital frequency counter, and it would be possibly useful to learn more about the capabilities of the metal detector. I do realize that a metal detector can only do what it was designed to do.
Thanks!
#1Leatherneck

Curious if the GMX Sport has technology "[T]his machine represents new generation of VLG detection technology. Starting with the industry-standard 48Hz operating frequency. An all-new XGB ground balance system can handle mineralized ground unlike other VLF prospecting machines." The White's Spectra V3i with the configurability of Frequency Offset one would have to use a frequency counter to ascertain the frequency differentiation? A friend that I metal detect with has an inexpensive metal detector, and it operates in 6.79 Khz, and it does very well. Realizing this must be a copyright of a manufacturer I assume the ability of a metal detector thru configurability or as with the technology of the GMX a detectorist could arrive at the more desirable freq./Khz?
I have a White's Spectra V3i; however, several years ago, I owned some of the higher end of CB radios, and owned a digital frequency counter, and it would be possibly useful to learn more about the capabilities of the metal detector. I do realize that a metal detector can only do what it was designed to do.

Can't figure out your question. But it's "VLF", not "VLG". And "48kHz", not "48Hz".

Can't figure out your question. But it's "VLF", not "VLG". And "48kHz", not "48Hz".

Thanks for your prompt response! In the advertisement with the GMX Sport the VFG is VLF, and the 48Hz is 48 kHz. I had read this on some advertisements earlier, and did not correct it thinking it was intentional; although, I strongly suspected it to be error; either a typographical error, or perhaps, it was some technological advancement. Most of my suspicions have been addressed as I assumed! Those were not intended to be as was entered! Therefore, in your post above:

Compass Relic Magnum
Compass AU52
Fisher 1280x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Minelab Eureka
Minelab Equinox
White’s Coinmaster V
White’s V3
1.) Does the White's Spectra V3i have capabilities of changing freq. with the Frequency Offset?
2.) Does the White's GMX Sport have capabilities "[T]his machine represents new generation of VLF detection technology, with features that both sourdough and greenhorn prospectors can appreciate." Does it have capabilities of possibly going to the higher 48Khz?

Now, on to your quiz!
I will follow this to learn what everyone has to say!

Thanks!
#1Leatherneck