Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Whites Detector

TnGroundhog

Introducing the new Whites Matrix M6!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are pleased to announce the introduction
of the new Matrix M6!
Just in time for the holiday selling season, M6 is the right detector at the right price. Perfect for all-around hunting, with superb depth and sensitivity. M6 field reports are in, and they're impressive!

RED CARPET DEALERS had some definite opinions! We listened. The results? M-6.

Ken White wanted to know if M6 was the replacement for XL-Pro--- did it perform as good? The answer --- M-6 is much easier to use, has much broader appeal, unquestioned performance PLUS a state of the art fast tracking system, and competitive pricing.

MXT-style display with contemporary decal.

3-position trigger - Tone ID, Search, and Pinpoint.

7-Tone I.D.
The VDI ranges and the corresponding tones:
-95 = 57Hz
-94 to -4 = 128Hz
-5 to 7 = 145 Hz
8 to 26 = 182 Hz
27 to 49 = 259 Hz
50 to 70 = 411 Hz
70 to 95 = 900 Hz

True turn-on-and-go simplicity with 2 controls and a toggle switch - DISC control with easy-set labels.

Full-range SENS control with recommended setting and indicators for hardware/software ramps.

Auto Trac. Automatic ground balancing system with Beach mode.

New-style 9.5" Eclipse 950 search coil - compatible with all Eclipse accessory coils.

Simple. Proven. Competitive.
M6 has the features and performance to be the
winner in the mid-price range.

MSRP: $699.95

n/t

.... looks just like an MXT, but has 2 knobs (fully adjustable sensitivity, fully adjustable discrimination), 1 toggle (autotracking, lock, beach), trigger switch (multi-tone ID, search, pinpoint). It has 7 tone audio ID for different target types. Looks pretty good, initial reports from users are highly positive. It uses a modified MXT chip, smoother operation, but no prospecting mode. Will tell you more when mine arrives. HH jim

the way they did is a novel and very useful idea. It addresses an area that some other digital detectors are lacking in. You get 2 tones to help audibly ID those -94/high coin readings, a seperate tone for other iron and I especially like the idea of the -5 to +7 tone for those small low conductors that either bounce tones or are partially repeatable hits on other machines when iron is notched out. This thing should be a beach machine supreme!

Well done on that aspect!

Tom

I am not passing judgement on the new Matrix M6 until I put one in my hands and work it in the field. The do a little side-by-side to see if it is worthy to replace anything in my arsenal.

It looks like your post was a cut-and-paste announcement from White's so the following is certainly NOT MEANT as anything negative toward you personally., Just a little idea how I reflect on such pre-release and/or first announcement comments as they are stated:

"Introducing the new Whites Matrix M6!"... Is this a true released introduction, or one of those 'hey, here's what we might have coming so don't buy the competitor's stuff until we have time to get this on the market' types of statement?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are pleased to announce the introduction of the new Matrix M6!
Just in time for the holiday selling season,..."
.. Dos that mean it has been field tested a great deal and we've firmed up our final production version and it is now coming out of production and being shipped, or, here is something we think might be about right but we're going to hurry it out there due to the Christmas shopping season and try to capture some holiday sales sort of releases?

"M6 is the right detector at the right price."... The "right detector at the right price" is really sort of vague.

"Perfect for all-around hunting, with superb depth and sensitivity."... Let's see, if there's now no "Relic" mode like the MXT and no "Prospecting" mode like the MXT, how does that make it an "all-around" hunting unit? Also "superb" depth and sensitivity would suggest to me, and many others, that it is better than most anything White's or their competition makes, and therefore comparable to similar-priced competition. or even higher-priced models if it is truly "superb" depth and sensitivity!

"M6 field reports are in, and they're impressive!"... No savvy reader will figure that yet unpublished "field reports" usually done by a handful of White's Dealers and Distributors who would like to generate some sales wouldn't be "impressive." I prefer the get-it-out-there and tell-it-like-it-is approach, similar to how Minelab introduced their new $699 X-Terra 50.

"RED CARPET DEALERS had some definite opinions! We listened. The results? M-6."... How many "Red Carpet Dealers" are there and then ask how many devoted end consumers who use them a lot and have opinions? Answer: Fewer Dealers than Consumers, so I would listen to many consumers as well.

"Ken White wanted to know if M6 was the replacement for XL-Pro--- did it perform as good? The answer --- M-6 is much easier to use, has much broader appeal, unquestioned performance PLUS a state of the art fast tracking system, and competitive pricing."... It says "easier to use" but is it as adjustable as the XL Pro?

How do they determine a "much broader appeal?" The XL Pro has a fully variable discrimination from all metal accept up to screwcap/zinc cent. The XL Pro has an excellent analog TID system. the XL Pro provides user-controlled adjustment of the Signal Balance (PreAmp Gain).

"Unquestioned performance?" Now, there's a bold statement because we ALL question the performance of every new detector on the market! We'll continue to question it until we work with a matrix M^ ourselves and know it's strengths and weaknesses.

"State of the art fast tracking system.".... That can be a good thing, or bad. I much prefer to hunt with Autotrac turned 'Off' or 'Locked' (if the 'lock' setting holds the GB setting).

" MXT-style display with contemporary decal."... MXT size housing and "contemporary" decal?

" 3-position trigger - Tone ID, Search, and Pinpoint."... Translated, you can hunt with Tone ID, without Tone ID, but there's no apparent 'conventional' All Metal mode.

" 7-Tone I.D."... Seven? Heck, the discontinued Classic ID & IDX Pro's had 8 segment discrimination and many users had wished for a simple improvement of the Classic series to add tone (eight of them) to compliment the 8 segments.

"The VDI ranges and the corresponding tones:
-95 = 57Hz
-94 to -4 = 128Hz
-5 to 7 = 145 Hz
8 to 26 = 182 Hz
27 to 49 = 259 Hz
50 to 70 = 411 Hz
70 to 95 = 900 Hz"
... Head-scratching time! :confused: If the VDI numbers are anything similar to the MXT, XLT and DFX, then the 1st of 7 tones is super low for what might be hot rock reject, maybe. Then the 2nd of 7 tones is for what is often also iron. the 3rd of 7 tones, from -5 to +7 might be some iron and very small foil. That leave 4 tones of 7 to cover the coin-hunters desired range of targets. The 7th of 7 tones looks like it lumps all copper pennies, clad & silver dimes, clad & silver quarters, clad & silver halves, and clad Ike, Susan B., Sacajawea, and silver dollars all into the same audio tone! It seems like 'Red Carpet Dealers' would hear consumer's desires to have a little better audio separation of some higher-end coinage?

Now I am not ruling out the Matrix M6 as a good detector, but just reading this before it ever gets in my hands sure leaves me wondering what it really might offer in performance.?. :wacko:

" True turn-on-and-go simplicity with 2 controls and a toggle switch - DISC control with easy-set labels."... Labels are not a good idea. Yes, many manufacturers have used them, but many have wisely just used numbers or lines to allow the user to learn the nest setting for their unit in their ground conditions. Too often a newcomer or even experienced hobbyist puts faith in a named setting when it just isn't going to happen in some bad ground.

" Full-range SENS control with recommended setting and indicators for hardware/software ramps."... "Hardware/software ramps" is vague and I, for one, certainly hope that doesn't mean the gain and target volume are tied together like in the MXT!

" Auto Trac. Automatic ground balancing system with Beach mode."... White's has had some very good autotracking circuitry in several models, to include the XL Pro this is supposed to replace so, one would expect it to be a well thought out tracking circuitry.

" New-style 9.5" Eclipse 950 search coil - compatible with all Eclipse accessory coils."... Looks a little goofy to me, but I seldom use a 950 coil anyway. Glad it uses the Eclipse series of coils and their after-market counterparts.

"Simple."... Seems to be.
"Proven."... Not in consumers hands yet, and that's where they have to prove their abilities!

"Competitive."... This too, will be seen. I know it has my interest, at least a little, and I never count a detector out until I have used it afield. As for 'competitive, I'll get one to use in the field against the XL Pro it is aimed at replacing, and a similar-priced Minelab X-Terra 50 and another unit or two.

"M6 has the features and performance to be the winner in the mid-price range."... We'll all see because we know that there are a lot of loyal White's users (I have two in my personal detector arsenal now) who have been awaiting a new model release and I am sure the forums will be flooded with comments. I would like to have read more specifics that described the functions and features rather than manufacturer-generated claims such as "perfect for all-around" use, "unquestioned performance" "proven" and other rather open and back-patting claims. Let the consumers tell it like it is, then we'll know.

Just a few thoughts.

Monte

the Iron and low conductive target tone separation caters more to those going after gold jewelry, while most TID detectors are designed with typical coin hunters in mind. I think they have the upper-targets bunched up and not enough separation for those coin hunters who want to audibly cherry pick.

It will be fun to put it to use afield and get beyond the printed stuff.

Monte

I am not starting to nit pic allready but I was wondering if some of who were close to the M6 project could tell me why they did not use the MXT handle and grip set up insted of the Classic. I think I allready know the answer but I just thought I would ask?

How is a machine that isn't even on the market yet either "proven" or have "unquestioned performance".

New unit looks interesting and worth a try IMO, but they really need to nip the "hype" in the bud before it even starts.

Yeah, Red Carpet Dealers are going to say what they always say, and what they are "expected" to say, but I think Minelab's latest marketing approach is the "better idea".

I like the full-range VDI, but notching would have been preferrable to all the tones.

Ralph

Hi Jim,

I agree, but sometimes it's hard not to form initial opinions about some aspects of any machine we might be considering....call it "expectations" if you will. Any new machine I form an interest in is based on both expectations and opinions of the features involved and at least "hoping" it will work for me in my conditions. The only real opinions that we cannot realistically form ahead of time is the level of performance the machine is actually going to offer. We still have preconceived notions or expectations based on many other factors, including the reputation and past experience with the manufacturers previous products, what we like or dislike (find useful or worthless) in the way of features, accessory availability, and so on.

Personally, I'm glad to see most of the manufacturers (even Minelab) taking a serious look at their lines, and moving back toward simplicity in some of these new releases. We all know a detector doesn't have to be complicated to be a good performer. Top-end machines have been so biased toward complexity in recent years that it has turned all but the most dedicated "techies" off of those kinds of machines, and even frustrated many newcomers to the hobby when they bought into that level of technology thinking they were "buying the best", only to find out they lacked the ability or knowledge to operate or understand it. We see it all the time.

The M6 looks interesting. Looking forward to giving one a try.

Ralph

This is a bad thing catering to a little different crowd? :shrug:

I agree that most TID detectors are aimed at coin hunters. Bunched up? Looks like plenty of numbers to me!

You do a lot of barkchip and playground hunting, does this not appeal to you at all? I can only assume that the M6 operates at the same frequency as the MXT, why not make use of its great sensitivity to small low conductors in a way that works with tone ID????

Like I said a very novel setup which should prove very useful to quite a few detectorists.

Tom

Boy do I agree with you regarding the complexity of some of the detectors today. While I will admit to owning some of these high tech models I still can't get over how well some of the unmetered units with few controls can get the same performance (or nearly the same) without having a menu of choices required to "optimize" performance.
Pap

Matter fo fact, I started out saying:

"I am not passing judgement on the new Matrix M6 until I put one in my hands and work it in the field. The do a little side-by-side to see if it is worthy to replace anything in my arsenal."... and that suggests that I WILL get one because I want to know if it is worth having in my personal detector battery.

All I was pointing out was that a new unit that most dealers haven't even held and tried out yet is "introduced" by name a photo and a lot of "HYPE" in the claims.

Oh, one model in my battery lacks any battery test capability. I didn't note that feature on the new M6, either.

No, I will be checking one out within days after dealers get them, weather permitting, and then I will know for sure, but it will be hands-on knowledge and not advertizing jargon.

Monte

I would rather get one good detector and spend time learning it,rather than keep flip flopping from machine to machine, never having one long enough to really learn it.Dave