Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie Here - Pinpoint Help

Bubby

Hello Guys

I have been detecting for 14 months now and have a DFX - love this machine - and I just got the X-Terra 70 to add to my arsenal. Pick up the 70 the other day and read the book and watch the video.
Played with it in the yard to get a feel for the machine. So today I decided to go out for a hunt and take both machines so I can compare the DFX vdi's to the X-Terra 70 vdi's.

I had the 4x6 coil on the DFX and the 5x10 hf coil on the 70. I am having a problem with pinpointing on the 70. I would have to re-pinpoint on the 70 by pushing pinpoint several times when I passed over the target to get the full circle to zero in. No problem with the DFX.

I did this with auto trac off.
Question - I read in the manual that auto trac is disabled when you pinpoint? True or false

Is this a problem with the 5x10 hf coil? I have yet to check and compare the stock 9'' coil in the field.

Thanks HH
Bubby

I've had the X-70 for a few months now and there are much more experienced users on here. From one newbie to another, here is what you can try. Instead of pinpointing off the toe of the coil, as I used to do with a White's machine that I owned, look for the target directly underneath the Minelab sticker on the 5x10 coil. It's actually pretty accurate. As far as turning tracking off goes...it's still a good idea because you might be swinging more than once on a target before you pinpoint....tracking it out basically. Just my 2 cents from what I've read and experienced. The best advise I can give you is to read the FAQFAQ at the top of the forum....it's a great resource!!!

I find the Elliptical coil (5x10) targets right under the Minelab Sticker when used in Pinpoint Mode.
Remember also that the X-Terra requires movement from either the target ...or the coil, so waving it
back and forth over a potential target in Pinpoint Mode should quickly determine exactly where your
target is. Also, if you scoops some dirt onto the coil containing a metal target, you can then shift the
soil around with your finger until you touch the metal item. When it moves, the detector will beep.

It's usually pretty accurate although the emission signal is finer & thinner on smaller coils
like the 6". It should still pinpoint within a 2 inch radius. And remember to approach your target from
at least one other angle to allow you to pinpoint easier based on target shape. The Elliptical coil has a
slightly wider field emission blade which might be a bit different to a new user. It's a bit "softer" too
which means that the edge of that emission blade is a bit "fuzzy" rather than sharp. But the advantage
of this coil is that it's actually quite sensitive in regards to the secondary field. It can pick up on a
target that is a distance from the actual coil, something the smaller 6" coil can't do nearly as well.

original.jpg

where would the so called hot spot be on the 10.5" 7.5khz DD? just curious...i know some people use prospecting mode for pinpointing and that is pretty helpful way to do it...takes practice, but Digger passed it along to me. But, if I were to use the pinpoint mode, would there be a "hotspot" for the DD coil? Thanks