Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

newbie questions

radiemaker

Hi all,
Just purchased a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from Cabela's. My initial test run was in a park area behind my house. After about 10 minutes I found a 2000 Sacagawea dollar coin! OK... I'm hooked! This coin was practicly on the surface. I just used my fingers to dig into the grass a little and there it was.
So my question is about digging tools, sifting tools and what you use to carry everything. Thanks

There are many very nice digging tools on the market...My personal favorites are the Lesche, and the gators. easy to use, and easy on the wrist and palms. Sifting tools also come in many varieties. Get one that is made of galvanized steel, and preferably powder coated to prevent wear and corrosion. Get one with openings no bigger than 1/2".
Kellyco.com is a great place to start looking.

Hope this helps,

Way to go radiemaker. I'm new also. Haven't bought anything yet. What made you choose the Tracker IV?

Save money and go to Home Depot or Lowes. Check out the upper end hand garden tools. I got a nice one that looks just like the one out of the MD cataloques, is built stronger and for half the price. For shifter go to the local feed store or tact store, get a horse feed scoop made out of plastic. Drill holes in it and you have a shifter!

Mike
www.prohoofcare.com

I do like the idea of saving money, and I never thought of the horse feeder sifter...VERY NICE idea :starwars:...
I have seen some very impressive gardening tools that would work great for MDing, but most do not have any devices to cut through weeds or roots.
Where I hunt here in NY, the soil consists mostly of Clay and LimeStone, with a mix of sand, black dirt, and brown dirt...It can get very hard, and lots of weeds and roots.
So I guess what I am saying is it depends on where you hunt, and what you hunt that determines the types of tools you require.
At the least, I would suggest the following:

1) Kneepads (Save your knees from cuts and scrapes, and keep your pants clean)
2) Sunglasses, or goggles (You do not know how many times as a begginer I flipped dirt out of a hole and into my face)
3) Gloves (I use the gardening variety with rubber fingertips...You never know when you hit a broken bottle, needle, or can lid...It has happened)
4) Tote bag for your MD and gear (I started out with a large softball bag I got second hand from a used sporting goods store)
5) Digging trowels and shovels and sifters
6) Large old towel (to put dirt on, and also to wipe down coil and digging tools)
7) Flashlight (small, you could even get one of those LED lights that is in a headband)
8 ) Mosquito repellent
9) Sunblock
10) Extra batteries (I carry 4 extra 9volts)
11) Pin pointer (Worth every penny spent on it)
12) Copy of the Metal Detecting CODE OF ETHICS
13) Any permission forms and permits you might need
14) and most important...Your Metal Detector
15) as an afterthought, a good brimmed hat

Hope this helps,

Bob

ACTUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lowes has a very nice tool that is shaped like a knife with sharp teeth. It is used to cut sod for sprinklers and such when it is being laid down. It is also used for planting bulbs. It even is marked in inches! IT could just be something for our area, but like you said, different areas required different tools.

Mike
www.prohoofcare.com

Hi All, After a few days from posting and not seeing any replies, I thought maybe this forum was not to keen on new people with dumb questions. I'm glad I checked back! As far as why I chose the BH Tracker IV, It just seemed the best value for the cost. I work pretty long hours and have only been able to get out on weekends. So far after about 5 outings of about 3 to 4 hours each, I have dug up about $11 in coins, all clad except for one 1950 wheat penny. Not having a lot of time, I have been hitting mostly schools, playgrounds, and socccer fields/baseball fields. I'm in south east Michigan so the season is closing fast. I appreciate all the tips (BH Landstar) and the horse feeder sifter sounds good too (ProHoofCare) Prior to reading all these great tips, I just went out to my garage looking for some tools and this is what I came up with: An old canvas nail apron ( one side trash, one side good stuff)...Garden shovel, A short sturdy drywall saw (cuts nice clean plugs in grass) and a screwdriver! I'm looking forward to next spring and summer to hit the beaches! Thanks for all the replies

My gear is tailored to my search area. Meaning if in a park in an upscale area I might not want the LC-1 Combat harness and Gerber entrenching tool with mil. spec. clothing. Instead its time to blend in and carry a fanny pack with a screwdriver [end ground into a ball so it does not scratch when probing], a margin trowel [for cutting plugs] and a white cloth [for all dirt from the plug or hole] The harness and heavy weight gear are great, but it seems to bother people when they see a guy who looks like he is about to undertake major excavating work in the middle of their favorite 'tot lot'. The added hassle of lighter impact gear has gotten me more than a few invits. to dirt fish in a perfect strangers yard.
Anyway HH,
Doug in Oregon