Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

newbie to gold panning

caheaton

Hello,
I've only tried gold panning once (as a young kid) in a local creek here in Ohio. Found a couple glitter sized flakes that I promptly lost :rolleyes: , so I consider myself new to this. :) , but at least I understand the principles and what's involved.

Anyway, my wife and I are traveling to Phoenix to visit some friends next month and I had the idea of spending a day or two panning for gold as something that could be fun and different for us to try (we enjoy the outdoors, hiking, etc). My research shows that the Lynx Creek area seems to be a decent place to investigate. I'm wondering if anyone can point us to a reliable area to five it a go...not expecting to get rich (though that would be nice), but it would be nice to recover a tiny nugget or two to have as a souvenir.

I'm also wondering about the roads...I'll be driving a rental sedan so off roading would be off limits and given that we'll have a young child with us we won't be able to hike very far (say within a half hour from where we park). With these caveats, any suggestions? Any other public areas besides Lynx Creek that we could check? Prefer wet panning but dry panning is okay too. If the area is promising enough I may even bring the F70 along (but will leave it the wisdom of the group here is that's necessary or if I should just stick to panning).

Thanks much for the help!

Once ya'll get to Prescott Valley, Az head for Lynx Lake/Creek Recreation Area Campground. It is located between Prescott and Prescott Valley but closer to Prescott. It is really pretty country with natural drainages to explore/check that feed into Lynx Creek and lake. Your rental sedan should be ok for the most part around the campgrounds but some roads and areas out there will need 4-wheel drive. There are some trails around the campground that are family safe for the most part...venture off and some are not. Sometimes you can have/find a little water in some areas or maybe not because of dry conditions...depends on weather. Last I heard metal detecting is still allowed so you may want to bring the F-70?! Hope this helps some...it will get you in an area that could show some color in the pan or a possible nugget in the hand :)

Thanks....hoping we can find at least a tiny nugget or two :) . If I have any luck, I may return for a "guys only" camping trip to do some more extensive panning that wouldn't be feasible with the wives and a 5 year old in tow :) .

With the cheap airfares being offered by Frontier, it's possible I may just head out that may several times a year!