Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie wanting to learn

Mac XLT (PA/NY)

Hi all,

I'm trying to get back into metal detecting again. I have a Whites XLT Spectrum. Bought it back in 1998 right after my dad passed. Metal detecting
was one of those things we wanted to do together but never found the time. So after he passed, I bought the XLT.
Then married the now ex-wife shortly after and never could find the time to go detecting.

My fiancée has a home in Pocono, Pa and I still have a home on Long Island. Used my XLT about a dozen or so times in the past. My XLT still looks new. I'm embarrassed to say that. With the little detecting I did back then. I never found anything to be proud of.

I'm hoping some of the veterans here can take me under their wing by giving me some pointers. Such as getting the most out of my detector, where to hunt and any other advice that would make my hunting more enjoyable by finding something other than pull tabs.

Thanks for reading. Hope to hear from some of you.

Hello from N Idaho! Just read the owners manual and get out there. A couple hours here and there and dig everything that sounds off. Eventually you will start to understand your machine and begin calling it before you dig it. Just remember, when you were 18 months old you started to walk and fell down a-lot, then you started running everywhere but kept falling and skinning up your knees and elbows, then you discovered track and won a trophy or two, eventually you got into longer hiking sessions and found places of beauty. Then old age creeps in and you walk a lot slower, going down to dig what you found is more like controlled falling but when you find that first really old coin or gold ring you’re right back to running around with skinned up elbows and knees again!!! 😂😂
The quirky little things that you get into the folks on the White’s Forum will chime in.

Hello from N Idaho! Just read the owners manual and get out there. A couple hours here and there and dig everything that sounds off. Eventually you will start to understand your machine and begin calling it before you dig it. Just remember, when you were 18 months old you started to walk and fell down a-lot, then you started running everywhere but kept falling and skinning up your knees and elbows, then you discovered track and won a trophy or two, eventually you got into longer hiking sessions and found places of beauty. Then old age creeps in and you walk a lot slower, going down to dig what you found is more like controlled falling but when you find that first really old coin or gold ring you’re right back to running around with skinned up elbows and knees again!!! 😂😂
The quirky little things that you get into the folks on the White’s Forum will chime in.
Hi Ronstart, thank you for the advice. Definitely makes a lot of sense. What types of places would you recommend detecting at ? State parks, ? There is tons of State Forests here. Dog parks? Soccer fields ? I'm guessing all of the above. Any places I didn't mention that you would recommend?

Hi Ronstart, thank you for the advice. Definitely makes a lot of sense. What types of places would you recommend detecting at ? State parks, ? There is tons of State Forests here. Dog parks? Soccer fields ? I'm guessing all of the above. Any places I didn't mention that you would recommend?
Thanks again for your advice !

Check any and all laws regarding city/county/state/federal properties. Any private property permission is good as gold. You will see a lot of folks here hit old school grounds, parking strips, etc. Good place to start as most schools are pretty good at letting people on, just abide by any restrictions they request (how deep, middle of the football/baseball field) or distance from buildings. Church summer camps, boy scout camps, etc. The worst answer you will ever get is No but you’ll never know until you ask.

Check any and all laws regarding city/county/state/federal properties. Any private property permission is good as gold. You will see a lot of folks here hit old school grounds, parking strips, etc. Good place to start as most schools are pretty good at letting people on, just abide by any restrictions they request (how deep, middle of the football/baseball field) or distance from buildings. Church summer camps, boy scout camps, etc. The worst answer you will ever get is No but you’ll never know until you ask.

Wide open area there...... I usually tell landowner I will show them what I find but would like to keep coins primarily. Finding old jewelry or toys etc could be a family heirloom and returning that is a good deed. Some guys have a generic permission form to be signed by both owner and yourself whereas any restrictions are outlined and whether or not the owner wants anything. There is usually a clause that states you hold the owner harmless for injuries you might get or damage to your equipment etc. Where Im at simple permission is all thats needed. I do tho keep record of who I spoke with, time, and location/phone number. Biggest courtesy is to leave the property as you found it, this gets you a good reputation......

Hi all,

I'm trying to get back into metal detecting again. I have a Whites XLT Spectrum. Bought it back in 1998 right after my dad passed. Metal detecting
was one of those things we wanted to do together but never found the time. So after he passed, I bought the XLT.
Then married the now ex-wife shortly after and never could find the time to go detecting.

My fiancée has a home in Pocono, Pa and I still have a home on Long Island. Used my XLT about a dozen or so times in the past. My XLT still looks new. I'm embarrassed to say that. With the little detecting I did back then. I never found anything to be proud of.

I'm hoping some of the veterans here can take me under their wing by giving me some pointers. Such as getting the most out of my detector, where to hunt and any other advice that would make my hunting more enjoyable by finding something other than pull tabs.

Thanks for reading. Hope to hear from some of you.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, Mac XLT--you will find lots of detecting friends & information on here! I had a Whites Spectrum XLT & loved detecting with it! If you have the BOOK that comes with it, you can set it to many programs, save them & then use them at different times depending on what you prefer to find --I had a program set up for jewelry by nulling out certain beeps & just hearing the ones for rings or other jewelry worth finding! I could eliminate pull tabs but doing so also eliminated nice rings like wedding bands with diamonds, so I didn't find the very good stuff but DID dig a lot of silver, lots of clad nickles & of couse clad pennies, quarters & dimes because they were lost easily & plentiful to find in the 80's, 90's & 2000 to 2006 when my ill brother came to live with me & I was getting more ill & unable to swing & dig; therefore had to quit!

My brother passed away in 2009 from PAH & I just did what I could in taking care of my home, fixing it up to sell -- sold & moved to SE MO in 2014! Had an auction in 2017 from my Cuba, MO Duplex & sold almost all of my belongings, including antiques which because of being vey ill from a Compression Fracture in my back the Auctioneers took advantage & sold many of my finds that I didn 't want sold! I am a collector & I still regret that too much was sold without permission! I moved in with my sister & then into an APT in Ste. Genevieve, MO until I had to go to Hospital in N. St Lois County & than Care Center; Nursing Home in Ste. Gen.! Couldnt live alone so my two daughters moved me in with my youngest daughter -- both have their own homes here in Ste, Gen.

I told all this because I enjoyed detecting with my XLT so much that I made myself too tired & sick by overdoing when I should have quit a lot sooner! Not saying, You will! I gave my XLT to my son during preparing for the auction (2017)--but with his WORK Schedule & the Pandemic, I dont think he has ever used it! If & when you get yours set up & really finding the Goodies, I believe, You truly will enjoy DETECTING & be thrilled at what you find! Be Persistant & don't give up, as Rome wasn't built in a day! Get used to the same detector & you will know what's there, most of the time, before you dig it! Have fun first & then enjoy what you find & post them so we can enjoy with you! GOD BLESS you & yours! Ma Betty

Max i have had two people tell me that it was okay to detect their property/ Both of them said they got to keep anything i found. I have never found the time to go detect their property. I have never worked for free and will never.

Do you get to keep what you find on a permission?
That my friend is a very touchy subject.
People are lunatics so be careful.