Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

newbie with questions

bigdawg47

i have a new safari coming in , and a 6x8 sef coil coming how does this machine do for construction lots and in fields and woods thanks for any tips hal

I used mine in the woods,does very well.Fields,does great..lots of junk areas,use that 6x8'.,,,minelabs aren't the best for iron and junk,but the safari will ring loud and clear on a coin if it's not masked.

SEF 6x8 is a good coil. you will still dig some rusty nails until you get the feel for good vs iffy tones. and even then you will dig some. and that's not necessarily a bad thing. masking and spoofing good targets are just something rusty nails do.

in fields and woods where targets are fewer, you probably want to go with the stock coil over the 6x8.

I don't know your experience with FBS, but rem that it is probably going to take you 50hr+/- with it to get good. so don't get discouraged if you don't rock the machine immediately. it Will come to you with patience. the best single advice I can give you on that is Trust Your Machine.

I'm trading my safari as its not park machine. It can't handle Any kind of trash. And sucks in iron. Just a huge let down of a machine for me.

Wheat Cent said:
I'm trading my safari as its not park machine. It can't handle Any kind of trash. And sucks in iron. Just a huge let down of a machine for me.

How many hours do you have on it?
I used mine in trashy hunted parks for a couple of years until I upgraded. I would never have considered a CTX if the Safari hadn't impressed me so much.

That said, sometimes a machine just isn't a good fit for a detectorist's hunting style/ability and he should find one more appropriate.

Champ Ferguson said:
Wheat Cent said:

How many hours do you have on it?
I used mine in trashy hunted parks for a couple of years until I upgraded. I would never have considered a CTX if the Safari hadn't impressed me so much.

That said, sometimes a machine just isn't a good fit for a detectorist's hunting style/ability and he should find one more appropriate.

Safari was a great fit for me, just dont really hunt areas that have the potential for silver, and i am a bit of a fast swinger so i tend to cover a lot of ground. Safari is not a fast machine. I dont hate it just not really good at anything in particular managed to do a trade for a mxt pro which i think will be a better machine for me. i would of loved to get my hands on a v3 but cannot afford one.

probably had about 40hours on it.

WC, glad you got a machine you are comfortable with. Youre absolutely right that a fast swing + Safari isn't a good combination. I have even read some posts in the distant past that suggest ML intentionally clocked the Safari processors back to keep it from competing with the eTracs. Every machine has a preferred way to hunt.
But I gotta say that you were on the cusp of having an "a-Ha" moment with FBS. 40-60 hrs is what everyone seems to say is the point where something clicks in your brain on your first FBS machine. I doubted that but it happened to me too at about 50hrs.
Save up those find totals and get the exact machine you want (v3). Lifes too short!