Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie with R2 issues

mojotrout

Howdy folks, Im new to the Racer 2 scene and already Im having issues! The machine air-tests a merc dime at 7 inches. a silver quarter at barely 8 inches. Is that all I can expect from this machine? Also incredibly noisy: I must turn the gain down to 40 or so just to get it quiet. Lastly, in 2 tone, deep, and all metal modes, I cannot turn the gain up past 79 or I get an alarm and a "saturation" warning. In 3 tone its fine (but noisy above 60 or so). Any ideas what is going on?

Ive hunted with it twice (once downtown urban, and once open park) and have not brought up anything deeper than 4-5 inches or so. Ive kept it in 3 tone with gain at 70 (chatty) with no notch/ID filters. GB is between 70-90, which is pretty high here in Boise (past machines have not shown that high a reading that consistently).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

Call makro service center. I think detector.com or look up makro detector customer service. Call them. Best customer service may just be a coil.

Try turning ID filter up between 15&25. Seemed to settle mine down considerably.

if your ground is balancing =86 that will kill the depth you may have basalt stone as well

Sounds like you may have a bad unit to me, I'd get a hold of whoever you purchased it from so you can get it checked out or swapped out for another R2.

When working as expected, it's a great machine.

thanks for all of the responses fellas. I was really hoping that I was just missing something in my set-up or tuning, but perhaps its a bad unit. That happens sometimes...

kaolinwasher said:
if your ground is balancing =86 that will kill the depth you may have basalt stone as well

I pay a whole lot more attention to the mineral meter vs ground balance/ phase number,,, when judging mineral levels.

I had the same problem with the racer 1 when I bought it,it was a faulty coil I sent makro a quick video and they sent a replacement coil out free of charge

Hello all, Im just checking in to let everyone know the Racer 2 I initially got is being returned and Makro has already sent me a new one.

Its always a pain in the butt to send a machine back and get a new one sent, but Makro has handled this issue like a champ. In fact, they sent me a new machine before i even got the defective one sent back. Talk about trust.

I really wish I could give a shout out to the gentleman who runs the outfit I purchased the Racer 2 from, but he's not a sponsor here. Since he (and Makro) were all sold out of Racer 2's he mailed his personal Racer out to me so Id have something to use until Makro got one in stock. Turns out Makro found one to send me so it wasnt necessary to use his, but that is pretty cool of him to send me a unit to use in the meantime.

In any event, Im now messing with my (newer) new Racer 2, and perhaps meeting up with a forum member this weekend to learn a few things about this machine and MDing in general. Thanks all for your feedback and thanks to Makro for a speedy and satisfying response to my problems!

other than it being work on your part , still a good outcome and no grief from them makes it a lot easier to swallow. glad you are back up and running with a minimum of fuss.

AJ

thats why i like makro you can count on them , I knew about the badd coils before i got one , knowing that if I had a problem they would deal well with me , so i had to problem getting one so far i have had no trouble . with my R-1