Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbies to the hobby information

leesumm

HI again
I was surfing the net again waiting for the other half to wake up this morning and remembering being new (and still am) to this hobby and wondering what to get for the first one . I ran across this information that might help those who are asking the same questions I was when I was trying to decide .
http://www.treasurefinders.net/selecting_your_first_metal_detec.htm
I dont know how much is valid but to me it sounds good

Hi Leesumm,

That guy has some good info. But he sees it through the eyes of the dealer, which he is.

I disagree with some things but not with others.

If you can play a guitar or have ever tried to learn to play a guitar, you know from experience that you do not get a "starter" guitar from one of the local five and dime stores for $49 and learn how to play. They will not tune correctly, will not note correctly, and will not stay in tune, but even if they did, the best guitar player in the world could not play them well!
Tell that to Willie Nelson. You ever see that piece of junk $49 guitar he plays all the time? It has holes wore through the wood from playing. He will not play anything els.

I'm just a old hack bass player and I would just as soon take an old ax that will not tune correctly, will not note correctly, and will not stay in tune and jam out!!! The more the maryier. Lets get it on!!! I'll burn the strings off that thang.:super:

Another thing is he took a lot of talking to say that a TID will help you find coins, iron and aluminum and not gold.

Another thing is he obviously has no idea of how to take advantage of tone ID or how to advise someone to.

Another thing is he has no idea that a $152 metal detector can have a life time warranty, high quality materials, superior ergonomic design, the best analog discreminator in the industry, super fast recovery and almost instanious response making it one of the best trash busters going.

Of corse it takes someone into the hobby and not the industry to see that.

I see that and I got one. It's my cheepest and my favorite.

HH,

I've been amazed at the stories presented by expert users of many of the most expensive machines with all the bells and whistles.
They present excellent finds... and mention that it was 5" deep and gave a mixed signal they normally would not have dug.
Then they describe how NO detector can tell the difference between pulltabs and some rings, and jewelry.
All told, the nice success story is rounded out with a declaration of how the new machine is so much superior than it's predecessors.
I've been pretty pleased with my Tesoro machines over the years. It seems more time swinging the coil gets the best returns.
HH

:nopity:for your info: That piece of junk that Willie plays on was and is an expensive high dollar guitar. I was not a cheap guitar when he bought it, and the hole in it has made it priceless. I can not imagine what one would have to pay for Willies guitar if it ever came up for auction. This is from an old Fender Precision Bass player who happens to own a 1955 Fender precision bass with a 6000 Ser#:beers:

Rennie

Hay rennie,

Well, I guess the scuttle- but ain't true. But it don't take much of a stretch to have

some very talented folks playing on pieces of junk and having a good old time.

I've seen it in my time. But I an't no high faluten bass player like you.

If you buy their sales pitch, they got a gooden for ya.

He don't know enough for my spoiled but.

He don't even know about the one what I got.

HH,

leesumm,

You have the right idea. Gather all the information you can from all sources so you can make an informed decision. Everyone has an opinion on what is the best detector. The only ones I don't trust are the paid field testers that take the detector to their local park and come back with finds in one outing that most will not find in a year or more.
The old saying "if it seems too good to be true, beware" is a good one. At least on the forums, no one is out to make a buck off of your decision. Even the sponsors will guide you to a detector that suits your needs without pushing you into something you might not like. Thanks for being willing to share your information with others on the forum. Best wishes on your selection of a detector that is right for YOU.

I've known any number of musicians.
and I've also known entertainers.

One makes you smile, the other brightens your whole day!

It doesn't require the most technical, expensive tools to get the best results.
HH

n/t

... and even much nicer than my 2006 american jazz bass AND my 1999 american fretless p - bass ! whew buddy, if its real, you got a bucket full of cash there! theres nothing like an old fender bass, a buddy of mine found a 1957 p bass mint at a yard sale about 10 years ago for 75 bucks! argggghhh!.... now, back to detecting!