Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Next detector to get, Vaquero or Cortes?

Richard-N-FL

Hello, I am thinking of getting a new detector. I currently have a Minelab Elite I have used for over 5 years. It is heavy, slow and I am not sure of it anymore. I think my patience is wearing thin. I want a lighter faster detector to coinshoot parks and downtown lots. Which Tesoro is best? I like the idea of target ID. But if the Vaquero is better I can deal without it. Please give any and all insight on these 2 detectors. And if you think there is a better option. Thanks in advance.

Well I may get some flack on this but. If all you want to do is coin shoot, I say the DeLeon? Same insides as Cortes and just as deep. The ID screen is easier to read also.

Now that being said if you plan on doing any hunting around old homesites, or fields? If you ever want to relic hunt then the Vaquero.

I have owned both. The V is great in an area that you can dig deep at. It will find coins and its manual GB is super easy. Four pure coin shooting I dunno?

The DeLeon is great at coin shooting and gets decent depth. If the bar graph and ID# lock on it is a dig for sure. Heck I found a nice pocket spill with my DeLeon. The ID was jumping in the coin area as was the bar grapg, but te tone was solid, This is all IMHO, Beale.

Oh yea I do wish I had not sold my V. It does real good on those deeper targets.

If it is coin shooting and you want a screen then the DeLeon is perfect. If you hunt in hot ground or want to do any relic hunting then the Vaquero is the one. I have both and think the Vaquero cant be beat. It is cheaper than the Cortes, (deleon) and it is a deep hitter. The Vaquero is great for coins as well and with the 5.75 coils it is a killer

if your JUST COIN SHOOTING or going shallow get a Compadre. the other two would be over kill.
Just my 2 cents.

Though i like my Vaq the more I use it

The Golden U-Max would also be a good choice for coin and jewelry hunting , it has four tones and a real good notch system , I also have a Sovereign Gt and it has four tones as well so it was easy to learn the tones on the Golden . I have also owned the Vaquero and it is a great all around machine , but for coin and jewelry hunting you will probably want a smaller coil . IMHO .good luck with what every you buy .

I used a Vaq for 1.5 years for jewelry and coin hunting in parks. Great detector but I missed having a meter. Sold it and bought a new Cortes. The meter gives me loads of info.The SUM mode is nice because it has 9 tones and it helps stabilize when the meter is jumpy. Love the Cortes.

I own both and am happy with the performance of both machines but Ill agree that a Cortes is overkill for just coin shooting...if I had not gotten such a good deal on my Cortes I would have gone with the Deleon...if you want a screen the D is the way to go,unless you have crappy ground then manual GB (Cortes/Vaquero ,no screen tho) is for you.

I found this today with the DeLeon and the 5.75 coil in under 2hr. "The combination kills the coins"
Zinex104.jpg

everyone has given me so much info. One questions is how do I know what type of ground is around here? I live in north florida and the soil is very sandy. I have heard its low mineralization. But i am not sure. Any help on that?

I have heard that Tesoro will tune your unit to your soil if you sen some? Heck give them a call tell them where you live and ask? I would, Beale.

Space weasle, i looked at Tesoros site and they dont list a 5.75 coil or any coils for the deleon or Cortes. I also read on this forum that if you was to get a different size coil that you would need to send it in to get tuned. Did you need to do that?

Richard-N-FL said:
Space weasle, i looked at Tesoros site and they dont list a 5.75 coil or any coils for the deleon or Cortes. I also read on this forum that if you was to get a different size coil that you would need to send it in to get tuned. Did you need to do that?

The coils that fit the deleon and Cortes are the uMax coils.
You do not always have to send in the detectors..Both the Vaquero and DeLeon seem to be doing great with the 5.75 coils and i have not had them tuned to them.Both even seem to run soother since i put the coils on them...Maybe later i might send them in to get them tuned to the coils but right now i am happy with the results i have..

Here is a pic of the differences in the coils.
The one on the left is for Cibola, Vaquero, and Tejon (4pin)
The one on the right is for the uMax models. Silver, Golden, DeLeon, Cortes (5pin)
Zinex137.jpg

The boys where cranky so my wife made them take a nap in the spare bedroom..
Zinex134.jpg

Nice family ya got there. Lol. How do you like the E trac compared to the others? Do you use them in specific situations? I.E cortes at the park, E trac in the woods?

space_weaseal said:
Here is a pic of the differences in the coils.
The one on the left is for Cibola, Vaquero, and Tejon (4pin)
The one on the right is for the uMax models. Silver, Golden, DeLeon, Cortes (5pin)
Zinex137.jpg

The boys where cranky so my wife made them take a nap in the spare bedroom..
Zinex134.jpg
Nice kids you got there, I like the quilt on the bed, tell your Wife nice job if she was the one that made it, lot of work in making one. Steve.

LOL
Thank you but my wife cant sew a button and cant even boil water. "i am not joking"
Her grandmother made it and i will pass on the kind words to her.

space_weaseal said:
LOL
Thank you but my wife cant sew a button and cant even boil water. "i am not joking"
Her grandmother made it and i will pass on the kind words to her.
Tell Gramma great job!!! Got over a barrel now buddy, one wrong move & I'll tell your Wife what ya said about her sewing & cooking skills :lmfao:

Thankyou everyone for your input. I think I will look more closely at the Deleon. It seems to have what i want and nothing i dont need.

Well, if you HAVE to have a metered machine, then obviously your choices are limited with Tesoro. That being said, the DeLeon has the same circuits and depth as the Cortes for substantially less money. Also has a much more readable screen, etc. I run a DeLeon and agree with Beale. Not a real deep hitter, but very accurate when in it's element.

After reading your post, your decision, IMO, should be based on a few things. A. Are you keeping the Minelab and just looking for a detector for tot lots, etc, or B. Are you looking for a primary detector that can do it all?

If A, I would save yourself a TON of money and get a Compadre or Silver Umax. Don't let the Compadre fool you, for $150, it will destroy tot lots, etc and that's no joke! The depth isn't bad either. You just have to get over using a "no frills" Plane Jane detector. If you use a Minelab, you may be a bit of a "gadget guy" that wants readouts, menus, knobs, etc. If that is the case you might not like the Compadre. I think of the Compadre as the "Plain Jane" girl in school that was always there for you and did all the right things for you. You tried the "hi end" prettier girls, but always wound up going back to Jane because you finally realized she was just so reliable and right for you! He he he... The Silver will give you more versatility and coil options for about $100 more than the Compadre.

If B, I would get the Vaquero without question. Manual GB as opposed to none on the DeLeon, lighter than the D, one battery on the V as opposed to eight for the D, better depth than the D, less $ than the D. For an all around the detector, I would definitely go V over D!

These are just my opinions after using all of the detectors mentioned, with exception of the Minelab. The ultimate decision is a personal one that only you can answer. I hope my opinion helps a bit. I've read every post in this thread and I haven't seen one that I would disagree with. Good luck!

ohp800max