Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Next question....Please..& Thank You!

Gunswinger

Not having a White's detector before, I have watched others use them several times. As I watched them I noticed that they seem to swing the detector rather fast. Does the rate of swing on a White's detector make a lot of difference? I have used a minelab detector for the last several years and the swing rate is not a significant factor. I have purchased the White's Blue & Gray Pro to hunt relics in bad Virginia soil and am trying to learn as much as I can before hunting. The weather has been really bad here for awhile, so I have not been able to hunt any with the detector yet. What say ye???

my xlt is a 4 filter machine and does require a faster swing speed to optimize its depth. On the whites 2 filters you have to slow down. I think on a dfx you can select how much filtering you want and adjust the sweep speed accordingly.

Good questions. I'll do my best to answer it and make sense....

How fast you swing the coil depends on how fast the processor is and how many internal noise filters the machine uses. The Minelab Explorer needs to be swung real slow (I find a 3-4 second sweep is perfect) The White's you bought should be a 4 filter machine. (the DFX is adjustable 2-6 filters) Anyway, it does not really matter on shallow targets how fast you swing the coil, but on deep targets, it's a different story. If you have really deep target that has a weak signal, if you sweep too slow the machine may see it as a variance in ground conditions and ignore the target. If you sweep fast, it will "notice" the quick change and give an audible signal. So on a White's 4 filter, you should swing faster to find deeper targets. I know this goes against what you thing you should do, but it's true.

Hope this helps.

The old saying used to be on Whites Swing fast for better depth......Not positive if that applies to Digital machines..The processor can only read what it receives in the way of targets. But if you have a Pro. with analog meter swing it low and fast...

ask so many questions but that is how you learn. My dad always taught me "No harm in asking!" So I have learned to do just that. I know that you guys get a lot of others asking stupid questions all that time and that it seems like that is all we want you to do is answer us and that we don't do any reading of our own. I read everything that I can get my hands on, however, most information assumes that you know certain things. I got into detecting at the age of fifty and so my learning curve is a little slower than younger guys. Just bare with me. Thanks for your help and maybe someday I'll return the favor. That is why I start each question with Please and Thank You!