Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Next step... Tejon?

So, after three years of using the Golden micromax, and after trying the Outlaw (not overly impressed, but probably should have given it more time), I am now looking at getting the Tejon. I like the depth that I hear about, but also think that duel disc feature would really come in handy, especially when looking for the deeper coins.

Thoughts?

Same here, I have a Tejon but really haven't give it much of a chance. I have had it out on a couple short hunts and I am going to give it a chance this year on some old worked out sites.

Ron in WV

A different feeling machine, that's for sure. Tejons go deeper than your Outlaw did and seem sparkier, for lack of a better term. I really like the way Outlaw ignores the small iron, though. Tejon will see all the small iron and let you sort through it by size, but for the stuff I'm looking for, mostly coins and jewelry, I'd rather not hear those nails or bottlecaps.

I think that since you and Outlaw didn't hit it right off, give the Tejon a try. They'll find the coins and jewelry too. In fact, with the greater range of discrimination Tejon has, it should find the small gold at least as well as the Compadre (also "ED180" disc), only deeper. My first Tesoro was a Tejon with the 11x8 Widescan. I only had about 60 hours on it before getting a Vaquero, which I found to be a more relaxing coinshooter than Tejon. My Tejon feels a bit more nervous, but is still fun to use. I'd recommend that if you do get a Tejon, try the small 5.75 concentric if you have any trash to deal with. Much nicer in helping things disc out where you expect them to, and it'll still give decent depth.

Pinenut, and anyone else who would care to offer insight, with the Tejon being very sensitive to small iron as you say, will these things not disc out?

hihosilver said:
Pinenut, and anyone else who would care to offer insight, with the Tejon being very sensitive to small iron as you say, will these things not disc out?

Meaning, that discrimination will be most accurate with a concentric, rather than with the DD coils. With the 11x8 on my Tejon, bottlecaps didn't go away 'till way after nickel (from memory, around zinc cent). So, if i'm in lots of iron trash, I won't be seeing nickels or gold, if I want those bottlecaps to shut up. I could sometimes guess that they were caps by them being a bit harsh and clickier, but not always; they often still sounded like a big coin. That's probably more the fault of the DD coil, than the Tejon.

If you want the discrimination to work best on any Tesoro, and good discrimination is a big part of what a Tesoro is all about, then you need to use the concentrics.

The 11x8 Widescan is sensitive, lightweight, nicely made...but messes with the disc range. I'm not crazy about the alternative 9x8 concentric either, but at least the disc will be proper with that one. Too bad Tesoro doesn't offer the old 10-1/2" concentric in a 4 pin (Delta) coil. That would be my depth coil on a Tejon. Meanwhile, my Tejon usually wears the 5.75 concentric. I know I'm losing depth with that one, but the disc works well... Still not as quiet in trash as Outlaw or Bandido.

Anyway, my Vaquero is taken along when I expect to not have too much trash to deal with... In that case, I may use the 11x8. Most places I hunt though, are pretty trashy... Tejon stays home. Most often taken are Bandido II μMAX (modded with 10 turn GB) and the Outlaw, along with the 5.75 and 8" concentrics.

If you're looking for depth, the Tejon has it... But you'll need to deal with the properties of available coils to see that depth. Sure would be nice if Tesoro gave us that 10-1/2" concentric in the Delta...:smoke:

Yes the 10.5 concentric I had for the Outlaw was nice, a little deeper than the 8 inch, but it was also noticeably heavier. The Outlaw is definitely nose heavy with the big 10.5 doughnut coil.

While the Tejon looks very attractive, I am also still considering the Vaq. I am hoping to join a nearby club (they meet at a place about 45 minutes away), and I am thinking that frequency shift will come in handy if I am out with a bunch of club members. With the Vaq, I can also pick up the 6inch concentric for the same cost as just the Tejon.

Then again, as I didn't have too many hours on the Outlaw, maybe I should just buy another one and give it another chance.

Tejon is a work horse and an excellent detector if given time to learn.

I'm a big fan of the old Fisher CZ5 or other cz models...They hit deep coins great...I had the Tejon and the dual disc is good ...But the cz have two freq and tone I'd....Also the Fisher 1265x and 1266 is another good option with a much lower freq then the tejon...And cheaper. Just check out my YouTube videos using those machines...Just type in Jeremiah Martel on YouTube. I have had the cibola,tejon and vaquero...And other tesoros....I really liked the 9x8 coil the most for general hunting...I got really good depth with it...Also the vaquero was my overall favorite due to depth and my great finds with the stock and smaller 5 3/4 coil...I wish someday I can try out the outlaw but it really doesn't excite me as much as it did when it first came out....My main beep and dig machine now is the deeptech Vista smart...Blows all my tesoros away when it comes to depth and having two tones...Of course there is a draw back...The disc is I ly good up to small foil. However since I dig colonial sites I want to dig everything that is not iron. Anyways...I do want to try it at a park for deep deep coins....We all know deep item pinpoint small and have a softer tone on the audio modulation...So when the snow melts I will find out... I have detected in the woods and it can punch thru 5" of snow and still dig targets in the dirt 5" deep...So yes that's a deep seeker...The name says it all !!!!! Good luck with your quest !

I'm using a Tejon with the 5'75 concentric. I also mainly hunt colonial sites as well. I'm having great success with it in hunted out spots. I'm always open to a machine that is good in iron. I also dig everything that isn't iron. So would you say the Vista is better in iron than a Tejon? I have a video on YouTube labeled Tejon seeing through steel. Check it out. You think the Vista will do this?

hihosilver said:
So, after three years of using the Golden micromax, and after trying the Outlaw (not overly impressed, but probably should have given it more time), I am now looking at getting the Tejon. Then again, as I didn't have too many hours on the Outlaw, maybe I should just buy another one and give it another chance.
Questions for you:

Q 1.. What things did you NOT Like about the Golden [size=small]micro[/size]MAX to cause you to get an Outlaw?

Q 2.. What do you think the Outlaw offered to get you to try it?

Q-3.. Which search coils did you use on the Golden [size=small]micro[/size]MAX and Outlaw?

Q 4.. What types of sites do you prefer to search? Are you only an 'typical' Coin Hunter? Do you do any Relic Hunting at very trashy sites? Do you hunt in more open areas that are void of any metal targets, or are more of your chosen sites trashier? Do you deal with very much ferrous-based junk like iron nails, washers, bolts, crimp-on bottle caps, etc.?

Q 5.. What detectors have you used other than Tesoro models that lack a visual TID display?

Q 6.. Have you considered any other makes or models, and if so, why are they not on the list you are asking about?

hihosilver said:
I like the depth that I hear about, ...
CAUTION! We often "hear about depth" but must remember than 'depth' to someone in some ground mineral area and target amount area and with a certain coil might differ from the results you might get where you are and the conditions you might face and coil you use. You often have to consider the source of some comments you hear, and when the Tejón was introduced in 2003, if I recall, it was especially 'hyped' by one or two people involved with its design. 'Depth' seemed to be one of the claims, and for some targets in some conditions, maybe it did ... but not for me.

I was a Tesoro Dealer. I acquired three [size=small](3)[/size] Tejón's and hit the road to travel to a Club Competition Hunt & Potluck, then to another location for a 2-Day metal detecting seminar, and on the loop back toward home [size=small](all of this travelling through Oregon, Idaho, Utah and Nevada)[/size] I visited a couple of groups of adventurists searching three 1860's era ghost towns.

I had detectors out for display and demonstration, especially with my friends at the Club Hunt and others I knew along the route. I put one of the Tejón's back in the box pretty quick when I noted it was very wimpy, with poor depth and kind of lack-luster performance in a dense iron demonstration. I continued my evaluation of the two other Tejón units, but when using comparable-sized search coils I could get an assortment of coins or small artifacts [size=small](keepers for most people)[/size] better with my Compadre, Bandido II µMAX, and especially 1½"-2½" deeper with my Eldorado. On a wide range of conductive targets, they were not 'deeper' by any means, although they did show a bit of an advantage on the US 5¢ and other lower-conductive targets.

Now, I am not a fan of the Outlaw, having used them and owning one, but maybe you could have given it a little more time afield to learn it better?

hihosilver said:
... but also think that duel disc feature would really come in handy,
How? Why? The Tejón had that feature because one of the involved people had been a Fisher fan of models like the 1260 X and the following units that featured Dual Discrimination, but for the life of me I can not think of a really valid reason why it would be of any significant benefit. The more Discrimination we use, the fewer targets we are going to recover or investigate so the more savvy and more Avid Detectorist would want to search with a minimum Disc. setting to just barely reject a problem target, such as Iron nails. That's what the 'Beep - DIG!' principle is all about.

hihosilver said:
... especially when looking for the deeper coins.
How could extra Disc, adjustment help you find 'deeper coins?' Not logical to me as you would keep the Discrimination low to better process the ground mineral signal and some iron in order to eliminate some masking, process more mineralized soil and, if lucky, gain a slight amount of depth. But I am not so over-eager to harp on detection depth because while some desired finds might be a little deeper in some locations, most just aren't. More are masked than deeper and we have to handle that condition before trying to increase depth.

hihosilver said:
The Tejón, due to the operating frequency, might be more sensitive to lower-conductive non-ferrous targets. As for dealing with iron, I found the Tejón to be a little noisier when trying to reject some common iron, such as nails, and I haven't done as well with a Tejón when it comes to unmasking in a nail test scenario.

I've used, and looked on as a friend used his Tejón, to check out my Nail Board Performance Test on very uniform ground with no metal targets nearby. That was confirmed by using the Threshold-based All Metal mode. Using the 6X10 DD coil from a Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, a NEL Sharpshooter DD coil, and Tesoro's new 8X11 RSD DD coil, the best the Tejón could do once the Disc. was adjusted to just barely reject the four iron nails, was get 1 or 2 digable Beeps out of a possible 8. That's terrible!

The only Concentric coil tested those few times was the stock 8X9, and it produced 7 or 8-out-of-8 hits. I did test a Tejón several years ago with a Vaquero using the 6" Concentric coil, and the Tejón also produced a solid 8-out-of-8 hits. Oh, I'll add this extra observation, and that is I found the Vaquero to get just about equal depth, but handle the iron nails a bit better or cleaner, and it required a little higher Discriminate setting on the Tejón to reject the four iron nails.

hihosilver said:
While the Tejon looks very attractive, I am also still considering the Vaq.
A good model to consider, depending upon what you are looking for.

hihosilver said:
I am hoping to join a nearby club (they meet at a place about 45 minutes away), and I am thinking that frequency shift will come in handy if I am out with a bunch of club members. With the Vaq, I can also pick up the 6inch concentric for the same cost as just the Tejon.
The Vaquero, with the three position Frequency Shift toggle might be an advantage in a Competition Hunt. I can't move like I used to, but I still like to enjoy a hunt and that was one of the main reasons I added a Vaquero to my own detector battery.

hihosilver said:
Thoughts?
Yes, I have a few. One is to make sure you put in enough time with a detector to learn it's strengths and weaknesses and what you like or don't like about it. The Outlaw is generally an OK detector, but it has a couple of issues for me compared with some of my all-time favorite Tesoro models, so I let mine go as it couldn't replace the ones I had. I do know one fellow who likes his. We're all a bit different.

Two, give some consideration to building a working detector arsenal to provide little advantages as you might need. No, not everyone can afford to, but my income was meager back when I decided I wanted to have at least two and possibly three detectors in my arsenal to complement each other, and that was in '71/'72. Just had to get out and find more $$$ to help acquire another detector. Today I have a baker's dozen detectors [size=small](13)[/size] in my personal arsenal, and that includes some duplicates. I enjoyed my Nokta FORS Relic and mainly hunted with the smaller 5" DD coil in very dense iron trash.

But I like the features and performance I got from this 19 kHz model so much that I watched for any deals and bought two more, keeping a 5½X10 Concentric on one of them, and a standard 7X11 DD on the other for more open areas. Now, the Relic could easily bump my 15 kHz FORS CoRe, but I know that detector well and the strong points it provides, so it's a keeper as well. I mainly Relic Hunt older and very iron littered sites, but I also try not to miss too many opportunities to put in some Coin Hunting time in average urban environments, as well. I have favorite detector models, and favorite search coils for different applications, so I have a battery that provides me the grab-and-go opportunities I need with different models and different coils.

Even if an active hobbyist has 2 or maybe 3 detectors, they might complement each other well, and that would be better than trying to make one detector do-it-all.

Three, this is the former Tesoro Forum and Gary renamed it Beep-and-Dig which is rather fitting. The good old Tesoro stand-by approach to success has always been to use the most Sensitivity possible, the lowest Discrimination you can tolerate, then get out hunting. You hear a 'Beep' from a target that wasn't rejected, and you 'DIG!' to recover the target, then take a look at it and decide if it is a keeper or junk. Tesoro does make two models with visual TID, but I have never found them to fit the higher price tag they have, and they are more or less crude in the segments and display information provided as compared with what has been around and especially what is offered today my most manufacturers.

The 'Beep-DIG!' philosophy was more or less assigned to the Tesoro line because most models don't offer visual Target ID or audible Tone ID like the majority of detectors, and prior to the Cortés release in September of '01 and the two earlier Toltec 100 and Toltec II, they didn't offer any TID models. But having the audio and visual information does not mean you have to rely on it or demand a perfect TID response. Instead, you can have those modern features, but use them at your discretion or just as a glance for a bit of info, but still hunt the way I do, and that is use the 'Beep-DIG!' method.

Most of my detectors, as noted in my Signature, are more modern/current models and feature TID, but I don't rely on it. I keep my Discrimination low, to just barely accept iron nails or at times to just barely reject iron nails, then I hunt-and-dig. Pretty simple and quite successful. So my suggestion here is consider the Tesoro Vaquero as well, I have one now and even though it is not one of my favorite Tesoro's, it can serve a purpose. Also, I would encourage you to consider other models from competitive brands.

And whatever you do, put in enough time to know the goods and bads before you let one go, or keep it and just add to your arsenal.

Monte

Thanks Monte! I only sold the Outlaw because I needed the cash at the time, wish now that I had not... but as the butcher in fiddler on the roof is famous for saying... "what's done is done." As I said, I might just buy another one. Your comments really helped and perhaps the Vaquero would be a better choice or maybe I should wait to find a nice used Elderado micromax, as it has the manual GB, the 180 circuit, and the frequency shift in the 10hz range. I have three coils for the golden (7 inch WS, the 8x9 and the 6 inch concentric) and they would all work on the Elderado.

I know depth is not always important, but my golden, in my area, has a hard time seeing a 6 inch dime. The Outlaw can reach that dime though. So, as I find myself looking for a second detector, for a second time, I was considering some other Tesoro models.

I am properly rebuked. I do need to learn to hunt with the disc low... and without doubt, I did not have enough time on the Outlaw to give it any fair judgement. I may just buy another new, with the 8 inch concentric and look for a nice used Elderado micromax for the frequency shift, which would give me three very different detectors, all sharing the same coils.

Thanks again.

One of my favorites is the Eldorado µmax. IMHO certainly a good option if you can find a clean one.
BB

The Golden was never known to be a deep machine. I had one, enjoyed the tones, but when I followed up with a Cortes it became quite clear that the Golden was only good to 5 or 6 inches in my soil. The Cortes was locating a blanket of coins between the 5" to 9" level under where I had worked with the Golden.

With regard to the Tejon vs Vaquero debate, I've had 4 Tejons, and 2 Vaqueros. I miss the Vaquero. I really enjoyed it, and I found it was much more of a pleasure to use. If I was to buy one or the other, I would buy another Vaquero.

Dan

I found the Vaquero and Tejon to get fooled on deep small iron a bit more than say a bandido. I don't think the iron disc works as good as some of the earlier models, actually the Tejon reminded me of a pistol grip fisher 1266 I had years ago. The dual ID sounds like a good idea but in practice?
I liked the Vaquero better of the two, smaller, lighter, you can remove the control box and if you get one of the long cabled coils you can wade with it. More versatile I think.

I have had my Tejon for just over 5 years now, great machine. It is crazy deep in all metal and about the same depth as my F75 when the Tejon is in Disc mode. Tejon has a true threshold based all metal mode, not a computer generated simulation like most display machines, that's why it goes so deep. Very good in high EMI conditions, I've used it under large power lines without a problem, the only EMI issue I ever had with it is when using it near an underground pet containment system, but no machine, not even my pinpointer will function there. In areas of low trash I like to hunt in all metal, when I get a target, trigger forward instantly giving me a discrimination mode. I've posted settings on how to get solid hits on a 15 inch quarter and a 12 inch dime freshly buried in the ground.