Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Next step up?

Alexander P

@ ten years, now, with White's Classic SL IDX. Strictly, to date, a dry sand searcher and really like the machine. Every year, about this time, I see the "guys" and "gals" working in and around the water and get the 'urge' to wet-up. I've tried a few times swinging in very shallow waters' edge drift but am constantly wary about getting the box wet. (paranoid!) I think I am ready to invest, within reason, in another machine that will be good as a general detecting machine but with the capability to work the sand and shallow water without my constant attention to the "box". Am open to any suggestions based on your expertise.

((I have a White's dealer but rather ask the 'regulars' so as not to be directed to a product endorsed by a particular brand's representative.)) MANY THANKS for your input.

i have a friend who just did a coin strike or I.D, i forget, i think the pics are home for that one
here are two different minelab GT's in boxes

F Y I

6.jpg

4.jpg

META3.jpg

BOX1INSEPT.jpg

Just answer your question
buy a Excalibur 2 1000 and don't worry about anything !!
Hope this helps
John

hey Alex I think you'll find gravediggers idea a whole lot less expensive then johns-do what ya want but ya already got 10 yrs know how on the whites. -if ya decide to get a water machine do look at detector pro- they've got some that will do the same as top end machines at half the cost-contact MrBill - I got the wader and its a great machine-light weight,plenty of depth and battery life.good luck on what ever ya decide

Me thinks you have to decide if you want to use a VLF and discrimination, or a PI with suspect discrimination. Some say there PIs will discriminate after a fashion and others say dig it all. All other things being equal the PI is supposed to be deeper. I think it is. You can't knock success and there's been more of that with the Minelab Excalibur than all the others combined. I only do freshwater and frankly I prefer my Tiger Shark over my Excalibur. The Excal is Broad Band Spectrum and in the right hands will probably outhunt almost all the other detectors being used except maybe a good PI in good hands. There is a point at which some operational technology and circuitry is better than others and will provide more finds in your pouch. Where that point is in your application and how competitive you want to be is preference. Any of those mentioned here so far a good machines. Some just work better than others in certain applications and some fit the hunting style of the hunter more precisely. Good luck whatever it is you get. Don't forget used. There are some nice machines in the classifieds here that are good buys. Jim

Jim: Good points. Considering the fact that this "older" guy is retired, price will come into the picture and the secondary market is feasible. Thanks.

White's offers the BeachHunter ID for a VLF machine and its electronics are like the DFX ... in fact you can use DFX coils on the BHID if you can change them yourself. White's offers the Surf Master PI at a more reasonable price but it is ... a PI type detector.
The problem with both these detectors is that they now use the new "300" coil and IMHO it is just too much coil.
A good used one with the older and smaller coil might be a better choice for you.

MineLab Excaliber II is also an excellent detector for the beach and water.
It is pricey if you go for a new one but around $700 - $800 for a good used one.
The Excalibur II uses the same basic electronics as the Sovereign but with less controls.
Switching from a White's single tone to a multi-tone Excalibur is a bit too much for some folks.
It has been described as 17 cats meowing under a washtub. LOL.

Also there is the Garrett's Sea Hunter Mark II and the Tesoro Sand Shark ... both PI types and both are good detectors for fresh or salt water and you dont often see them for sale used.

If you are thinking of going the PI direction I have a nice Barracuda PI water detector that I am considering selling.
It was recently serviced by SurfScanner and new rechargeable battery's were installed.
I also have a Excalibur II with the 10" coil if you are thinking VLF.
If interested call me and we can talk.

William Lee
361-563-1303

Willee

Bang for the buck is probably Tiger Shark or Detector Pro Pirate. Both are good water machines and just as good in the dirt and sand. If you plan to use it away from the beach, avoid the PIs.

Willee......AUDuke: Thank you.

Thanks to all for your assistance. I'll continue to follow this thread and appreciate your advice even though I may not be able to post a response for awhile. I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks, again and "Great Hunting".