Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nexus - no manufacturers back up - BEWARE!

Sheddy

Before I start, I would like to make it clear that the Nexus machine I have does perform in exactly the way that George says it does. It is very deep and discriminates perfectly.

I bought the third one of the Nexus machines. George had the first obviously, GaryUK had the second and mine was next. When I bought it George explained that the machines were under constant development and as the machines got better and the models evolved he would keep my one up to date free of charge. This was to be his way of thanking me for showing some faith in his machine and parting with a large sum of money.

A couple of months ago I notice on the Nexus web-site that the machine had now changed cosmetically and according to George's web-site, also the performance had improved. I contacted George and asked him about the improvements and the promised upgrades.

According to him, the improvements mentioned on his web-site are not improvements. My machine is more powerful and more sensitive. Apparently the original stem (two bits of wood 32mmx32mm) are much better than the composite stems that hw now offers and the coils he is now making are nowhere near as good as the one that is on mine.

In short, he doesn't consider that the Nexus machines have been upgraded so mine can stay as it is. I may take a picture in a bit and post it up along with a link to his website. You can decide what the better looking machine is.

I can't see why someone would advertise that his product has been improved and then tell an existing client that the current product is worse than the original. Why go backwards with performance? Either way, George has contradicted himself. Either the machines have been upgraded and he is renaging on his promise or his web-site is not telling things as-is and the new machines do not perform as well as the early ones.

One thing is certain. If the older machines are better than the new ones I certainly wouldn't buy a new one. The control box on mine fell apart within six months and since then has got gaffa tape holding it together and the wires within the battery box have all had to be either re-soldered or replaced because the connections kept breaking. Finally, none of the labelling on the control box was water-proof. The first time it got even slightly wet it all ran rendering the labelling illegible.

Looking at the overall build quality of the machine I have, it is quite apparent that George's skill is in electronics, not form and function. George reckons the older ones are better? God knows what the build quality on the new ones are like then!

Go and have a look at the Geotech forum regarding this post. Current direct link: http://www.thunting.com/geotech/forums/showthread.php?t=11433

The person who posted this thread is dishonest and spreads lies and he is quite likely a competitor trying to eliminate competition.
But he got exposed at this forum for telling a load of lies.

If the link have moved just go to the Geotech forum and search for the Nexus Coil Design thread. www.thunting.com/geotech/forums

Sheddy,

It seems like Georgi has responded adequately to your complaints/demands so why are you now posting MORE about this? I can repost from the Geotech Forum if necessary.

Munchy is not correct that you are dishonest and spreading lies..I've read the entire Geotech thread. I see it as a personal issue between you and Georgi and not a reflection on Georgi'a product, Nexus

Regards, Joe

The problem is 50% of the Geotech posting is rubbish from those who know nothing of the situation or the machine involved. Sheddy was accused of not having a real Nexus at one point just because his Mk I didn't look like the 'new' version.
George produced a hoard hunter and went to a few rallies trying out the prototype.
Many had a snigger at the strange design. Gary went and had a word, was interested in what he saw and ended up with an early Nexus wood shaft and all.
Sheddy got number three.
These were pre production models made in Georges flat in London.
Being pre production they were a little hand/homemade looking but the performance was there.
Now by the time it came to ramping up to more 'mass' production the wooden shaft was replaced by a normal fibre type one and the decals looked better and are weather proof. The coil went from a rather fragile looking design to the nice sleek one used today.

Problem stems from the fact that the new production model looks much better BUT does not necessarily work better.
There was a later meter mod which damps down needle response to ground effect but depth wise the original version is as deep or deeper than the new.

Anything sold in the U.K. has to have at least one years warranty. I haven't heard much of problems, unlike some other small detector manufacturers, but if it was in warranty it would have to be repaired or replaced. But no repair is required just a free upgrade to the latest spec. as Sheddy thought had been agreed when he bought the detector. We don't know the ins and outs of what was said at the time. The only thing I can say is that the first Nexus I saw in the flesh was Sheddys so Nexus did get a deal of free advertising from him.
I don't think you can expect free upgrades for life but a little flexibility towards an early adopter of a more radical design would be nice.

For those on Geotech who were so keen that Sheddy should disassemble his detector so that they could copy the circuit, they should at least be honest thieves and buy their own to clone.

Brian

I read the thread on Geotech again and after thoroughly reading it, came to this conclusion:

This guy does not have Nexus. It is clear in the pictures he posted.
If you look at the field test report of the original Nexus when it started http://www.treasurehunting.co.uk/uploads/fieldtests/Test_92.pdf you'll see it doesn't even look like that.

It seems that this guy have some random detector which was made by the Nexus designer way before Nexus ever came into existance.

There was enough time for this Sheddy guy to ask for his upgrade when the first production units came out, but he didn't bother to have his detector upgraded when the first production units came out.

Years later (now) he sees that Nexus have now once again changed to a brand new look with fibre glass stem and vacuum molded coils, he wants to have this instead of what was originally promised to him, which was to have the first production outlook, not the brand new Nexus outlook as it is today.

If this guy does have some random detector which the guy who makes Nexus made years ago it still doesn't make it Nexus, because what if Nexus never came into existance after that random detector was made??

This thread can also spread over pages the way it did on the Geotech forum, the truth is, no one knows exactly what this guy wants and there are two sides of the story and currently we're only hearing Sheddy's story and the story of people on the sideline making guesses and sharing their opinions on what they think is this or that.

What is the point of discussion something which no one knows the truth about??

Nexus is a manufacturer of detectors like all other manufacturers. It is backed by a guarantee. Using Cyber Smearing to be spiteful after a guarantee have expired is not fair in my view.

Who doesn't know what about what ?
Sheddy's machine is not years old. If you followed the development of the Nexus you would know that he has a Nexus of the original design just as Gary of garysdetecting.co.uk has. Gary has had the meter mod but has kept the wooden shaft and prefers the old machine over the new.
I assume this is down the the original coils giving a little better performance as they were hand made of a material that cost a small fortune and there was a very high rejection rate as George was trying to maximise the performance by avoiding the normal practise of accepting coils that are not in balance then doing a bodge to try and correct things.
The only thing in question is whether George did say he would upgrade the machine every time a performance mod was made and has the machine had a performance upgrade above the excellent performance of the Mk I design.
George, who posts on the Geotech forum could always deny its a Nexus but it is.