Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nice Find With New MXT ALL Pro

liondogs

Took my new MXT All Pro out for a quick maiden run at a local park Monday. After about 30 minutes I needed to leave to pick my daughter up from school so as I was walking back to the car I saw a mole hole mound by the sidewalk. I remembered a post on one of the metal detector forums a while back from a guy who hunted prairie dog towns in the Midwest and who would run his coil over the mounds. He said he found many coins and rings that the prairie dogs would pushed to the surface while tunneling. So as I walked past the moles dirt mound I ran my coil over the mound and BANG my detector gives a nice high tone with a solid +28 VDI number. Pin pointing the target said it was 2 inches in the dirt mound. I quickly located the target and recovered a liberty head 5 cent coin. Thank you Mr. Mole and Merry Christmas.

Nice find and congrats on the new machine. Are you using the 10 DD coil? I've never came across mole holes in the fields i hunt, but it seems that cows sure like to lay patties over nice targets!

I bought the detector with the Eclipse 9.5" concentric coil instead of the 10" DD coil as I already had a 10"DD coil. I was using the Eclipse 9.5" coil at the time.

Wow, nice nickel! I never found one that wasn't pink. What kind of soil do you have there - is it dry?

- pete

My MXT Pro came with the 12" and I've got the 5" Excellarator DD. Im trying to buy the 9.5 right now, just waiting on a reply.

Awesome find. Congrats on your MXT Pro and your "V" nickel. Love those and I'm surprised it's so nice and clean too. Sure wouldn't happen in our soil here. It would be brown in this area. :sadwalk:

Joe, I am in NE Oregon now, between The Dalles and Hermiston, so it is [size=small](usually)[/size] drier around here. We still can come across 'animal digs' but I spent most my life in the greater Portland, Oregon metro area and along with an ample amount of 'wet' they also have a lot of mole hole activity. It seemed like every year I could chance upon at least a few that I would detect and be rewarded, especially hunting the larger and older parks. Often I would work several of the old parks just to seek out 'mole mounds.' Not always productive, but it only takes a couple a day to cough up something old and interesting to make it entertaining.

I started searching mole mounds and other animal digs shortly after I started detecting when I wanted to sample working the BFO's in our yard, which was rather good sized, and the only available dirt away from my mother's garden were the exposed mole mounds. When some would 'signal' while others didn't, it was an early learning experience that I never forgot, and that was in the latter '60s.

Moles, badgers, rabbits, coyotes, prairie dogs, ground squirrels, and all sorts of critters dig holes. If it is any site that has/has had human activity, it's time to search the signs of the animal's disturbance. For decades I have encouraged anyone and everyone to be sure to check out diggings. A good friend of mine in Utah was encouraged to on our drive out to a ghost town. We got there and she hurriedly got her detector out and walked along a pathway through the business district out toward where the old general store and school once stood, but never drifted off the pathway.

When I was up-and-running I wanted to search the same general area and was 'working my way' her direction by searching as I went. I noticed her footprints didn't stray from the path, and itI went past an old cellar-hole with an almost vertical dirt 'wall' or side, but it had a fairly fresh 'animal dig' that left an exposed hole, and a lot of obviously fresh dug dirt tossed out. Not like I had seen there about 10-15 days earlier, so I stepped down into the old hole and scanned that fresh batch of dirt.

It only produced one coin, but when I got to her and asked why she didn't go hunt the fresh dig she kind of shrugged her shoulders as if it wasn't any big deal. Really! I responded and after she started detecting she paused with a hesitation and turned to me an asked if she missed anything? I showed here the 1857 Seated Liberty 10¢ she could have had to get the day started.

Yep, you did well by checking out the dig and I hope you'll continue to do that. They can be as rewarding as any man-caused renovation work, removing an old building, or other dig-and-disturb activity. Your old 'V' nickel might be a bit worn, bit I never turn down any old coin or small artifact I find. Congratulations!

Monte

In my home town was a park used by many carnivals over the decades and it was full of gophers. I found the same thing lots of silver dimes around the gopher mounds. They can bring them up from lower depths where it has been resodded or pushed down due to various types of work or actions over the years.

Pete, I live in the soggy Puget Sound and we have had a ton of rain lately so nothing is dry.

liondogs said:
Pete, I live in the soggy Puget Sound and we have had a ton of rain lately so nothing is dry.

Wow, guess that's not the answer . . . maybe you have a more favorable soil pH? I'm in Mass. and you pretty much can't dig a nickle (except recent drops) around here without it being corroded to a gross shade of pink/brown. Same thing as clad - similar composition. Nancy seems to have the same thing in her neck of the woods.

-pete