Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

nickel cleaning

LTimedigger

I always dig nickel signals more because lots of jewelry rings up hear than for the nickels simply because unlike most metals, nickels(except for war nickels) come out so fried its often very difficult to see what type and date it is especially the older ones. Wondering what yall use to bring out the detail. I understand a tumbler with cleaners works best if you want to spend the money. thanks.

Unless you are willing to spend hours and even days soaking your clad and cents with various cleaners, a tumbler saves tons of time and cleans the best. For badly crusted Buffalo nickels with no visible dates I lay them flat in a dish and put a small pile of salt and a few drops of apple cider vinegar on them and let them set for a short while. Quite often with a magnifying glass I can get a date off them. HH jim tn

First I try to gently scrub the area where the date is to see if the coin could possibly be worth something as a collectable.
The buffs and V's I have found so far have not been valuable at all, darn it, so sometimes then I tumble them.
Most times I lack patience so I prefer to do something that would horrify most coin guys...I scrubbed them like crazy with steel wool.
They are my coins and I prefer them to look like nickels instead of unrecognizable dark, dirty circles so I scrub them until anyone can tell what they are.
Most V's have come out pock-marked but I was able to get dates, some buffs have no date, some do and some are also pock-marked while others are somewhat smooth.
I don't need them to be super clean and shiny or new looking but I do want to see the V or the Indian and definitely want to recognize them as a nickel.

n/t

I wouldn't recommend vinegar/salt on any Buffs or V's as usually they are old enough where there will most likely be "enviremental" damage to the coin from the soil and fertilizers , etc???? Usually the older nickels will be "pitted" and the vinegar/salt will really bring that out.... Use steel wool and rub the piss outta them until you achieve the desired look. I've also used abrasives after steel wool like Bon-Ami, etc. and if I still can't get desired results I'll use a chemical toilet bowl cleaner called Santeen "IF" the coin isn't really pitted. If I use the Santeen, it's a last resort and I use it quickly and don't soak too long....maybe a minute depending???? Use the steel wool first...Santeen as a last resort...… Remember that you can go too far with the cleaning so take it a step at a time....good luck!!!!

PS...Yes...that's a legitimate 3-legger!!!! Only semi-valuable/rare coin I've found in 27yrs tecting…...lol

jmo

I wonder if that is because of the acid and the vinegar?

I would think so. More like a jell. When the ketchup starts to turn black it's time to wash it off. Repeat until all the crud comes off