Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickels

Rivermarine1

How often do you find nickels? I for some reason don't seem to find very many? Quarters, dimes, clads, I find consistently. I assume because it sounds so much like tabs, I often go past it, especially in some of the trashy areas where I detect.

Rivermarine1 said:
How often do you find nickels? I for some reason don't seem to find very many? Quarters, dimes, clads, I find consistently. I assume because it sounds so much like tabs, I often go past it, especially in some of the trashy areas where I detect.
If it's a consistent response from the detector I usually dig it although 95% of the time it IS a pulltab. It is too bad that detectors can't be switched so that one can get a ROUND signal based on the shape rather than metal composition, or a non-round signal based on a pull-tap type shape. A ring, being round, would be indicated.

I dug 3 Sunday from an old library park. The rest was 3 quarters, 9 dimes and 33 pennies. I was digging every signal whether it change tone or not. Trying to learn the detector well.Pulled a ton of trash. I feel there just wasn't as many nickels for. One time thought maybe due to the size weight ration of the coin maybe they sank deeper than other coins or something, but the ones I dug where in the 1 to 4 inch range. All I have dug in the past seemed about on average depth too. Try this sometime though. When your shopping pay for everything in cash and let all your change build up in your pocket. At the end of the day, pull it all out and count the different coins that you have. I think you'll be surprised by the numbers. Now take in consideration the coin sizes, Dimes and pennies are smaller and harder to see when dropped. Heck, other than a few people out there(But I will) will even stop and bend down to pick up a penny. I believe that just the numbers of coin ratio out there being use explain the low nickel numbers. Maybe wrong though I have been in the past.

I get my good share of nickels....They are fewer than the other coins though...How many nickels do you have in your pocket right now...think of it that way...I am lucky if I am carrying 1....I usually carry 4 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, and 3 pennies...this lets me make change for most things, without carrying too much...also I have emergency bus money....The Land Star has a separate nickel and pull tab designation, although when it reads nickel, it is 75% of the time an older pull tab....Only the newer pull tabs register in the pull tab slot....old screw caps register in screw cap slot, and new screw caps are usually larger due to the large mouths on bottles now-a-days...they registrer as cent/dime most of the time (due to size and zinc content I think)....I just think there are less nickels dropped than most other coins....

Looks like a nice day today...maybe I will try some hunting in some off the way place today...see what I turn up....

HH,

BH-LandStar

Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think it was me. I find lots of dime, pennies and quarters, but only occasionally. The only reason I found my last one was because a quarter was resting on top and both were about 2 inches down. I recently access to an old Air Force Base that has been turned into a technical college and am hoping to improve my luck and any suggestions are most welcome.

All my nickels were in the same hole with a dime or penny. You are right - I also ignore the low tones most of the time and unless I'm looking at the display while swinging, I miss the quarter signals. Too bad for me, though - and I'm trying to change because I'm passing a lot of good stuff up when I do this.